POSTGAME: GRAND FINAL vs Western Bulldogs

Demonland

On 11/10/2021 at 1:26 PM, Jontee said:

I was trying to find a definitive reason why a quality side like the Dogs, 19 points up in a GF, got flogged by the MIGHTY DEMONS.

Self believe, fitness and exuberance of youth with younger legs were key factors.

Not sure about experienced players not declining until 30.  Any occupation that requires quick reflexes does not go seeking people in their late 20s.  Still thats not everything, the Bont was so slow in getting to his feet that he was in excellent position to kick his 3rd quarter goal.

Try telling that to Geelong's recruiting staff, and their coach. 😮

On 11/14/2021 at 1:48 PM, Redleg said:

I have never seen such a reversal and then complete thrashing, of a team 19 points up half way through a 3rd quarter and let alone in a GF. The domination from that point by us was unbelievable. 16 goals to 1 in the last 28 minutes  of actual playing time. I watch it over and over again and am still stunned. TBH,  I could imagine it being done to us, with my MFCSS, but to win a flag that way, WOW just WOW! Thank you boys, you done us proud.

I was just thinking, had we been 19 points up at that stage of the GF we would have been feeling pretty comfortable, as I suspect many Dogs' fans were.

It was, to me, just an incredible (in the true sense - unbelievable) turnaround in the following 8 or so minutes.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, monoccular said:

It was, to me, just an incredible (in the true sense - unbelievable) turnaround in the following 8 or so minutes.

And most of the football world agree with you.  Many commentators were left speechless and stunned.   They could not comprehend what they had witnessed.  The AGE described it as the best GF 3rd quarter ever.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jontee said:

And most of the football world agree with you.  Many commentators were left speechless and stunned.   They could not comprehend what they had witnessed.  The AGE described it as the best GF 3rd quarter ever.

I may be a little biased, but I’m comfortable with calling it the best quarter of GF football ever. It is certainly a quarter that I will never forget.

• Like 2

Reckon it was most devastating 16 minutes ever played. 
To see it in a GF, that turned the match,  and history, is nearly unbelievable. 

Been watching some of our ballistic Prelim for a break. Told friends that week I doubted we’d we play so well again. 
Went Nuclear. 
Next.Level.Nuclear ☢️ 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 11/14/2021 at 1:58 PM, Cassiew said:

Reminded me a lot of the 1984 grand final. Though in our one it didn’t look like we were going to come back. Dons always looked like coming back in the 4th

Always wanted to win a GF like that.
But we did it even better.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, radar said:

Reckon it was most devastating 16 minutes ever played. 
To see it in a GF, that turned the match,  and history, is nearly unbelievable. 

Been watching some of our ballistic Prelim for a break. Told friends that week I doubted we’d we play so well again. 
Went Nuclear. 
Next.Level.Nuclear ☢️ 

Reckon we played better the prelim.
The most dominant 4 quarters I've ever seen us play.
GF we only played 2.5 quarters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dees189227 said:

Do you know the funny thing is if we lose round 1 or whenever we have our first loss next season, people will be straight back on here bagging players, saying Goody doesn't have a plan B and so and so has to be dropped. 

Our plan A is killer.
It's up to the opposition to stop us executing it.
Plan Bs are for them to worry about.

As for next season.
Reckon I'll be a hell of alot more relaxed about the whole thing than what I have been in the past.
Fresh off a soul cleansing Grand Final win an' all.
But I expect us to get even better with the monkey off our back.
Reckon it'll free us right up, give the boys the flag winning confidence knowing they can get it done.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

Our plan A is killer.
It's up to the opposition to stop us executing it.
Plan Bs are for them to worry about.

As for next season.
Reckon I'll be a hell of alot more relaxed about the whole thing than what I have been in the past.
Fresh off a soul cleansing Grand Final win an' all.
But I expect us to get even better with the monkey off our back.
Reckon it'll free us right up, give the boys the flag winning confidence knowing they can get it done.

Plan A: The last 30 seconds of Q3
Plan B: Leave it to Mayver for Petty's sake.

Hope we have a plan C. I think it involves Hunt going mad on long runs into the forward line, but I'm not too sure. It didn't pan out too well the one time we tried it this year.

Edited by Chook
  • Like 1

I’m guessing it was mentioned before but did anyone one else notice that when Chris Grant let go of the cup, the bulldogs colours fell to the bottom of the handle? I’m no superstitious person but that seemed like a bit of foreshadowing 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Cassiew said:

I’m guessing it was mentioned before but did anyone one else notice that when Chris Grant let go of the cup, the bulldogs colours fell to the bottom of the handle? I’m no superstitious person but that seemed like a bit of foreshadowing 

Yes it looked sad really 

Doesn't  the Red and Blue just look amazing with the Cup.

Bought the small replica Cup and put red/ blue ribbons on it 

Re going to Museum on the Sat at noon for photo op and tour as will be so crowded on the Sunday for photo op I reckon. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 58er said:

Yes it looked sad really 

Doesn't  the Red and Blue just look amazing with the Cup.

Bought the small replica Cup and put red/ blue ribbons on it 

Re going to Museum on the Sat at noon for photo op and tour as will be so crowded on the Sunday for photo op I reckon. 

It looked sad the bulldogs colours being on it in the first place. They had their turn

• Like 1

Another useless fact: when Brayshaw kicked the goal that regained us the lead, it put us as 64 points. That was our final score in our last premiership (albeit reached by different goals and points.) 64 also bring the year we had last won

Edited by Cassiew
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

3 hours ago, Cassiew said:

Another useless fact: when Brayshaw kicked the goal that regained us the lead, it put us as 64 points. That was our final score in our last premiership (albeit reached by different goals and points.) 64 also bring the year we had last won

As a wise Demonlander pointed out to me, if you say the score that Brayshaw's goal brought us to quickly (9.10.64) you get "1964" as well.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Talk about the stars aligning this year. Bloody near perfect.

aside from Tomlinson and Hunt we were very lucky with injuries.

And Adam going down let Petty in.

Viney came back just in time and had an impact in our finals. Even May recovered from his injury quick smart. 

Our forward line finally sorted itself out.

Our  mini slump came just after the middle of the h and a unlike the dogs.

we had the comeback of comebacks the last game to snatch top spot.

We smashed all our finals.

And we had one of the best gf wins of all time.

Almost worth the wait.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Talk about the stars aligning this year. Bloody near perfect.

aside from Tomlinson and Hunt we were very lucky with injuries.

And Adam going down let Petty in.

Viney came back just in time and had an impact in our finals. Even May recovered from his injury quick smart. 

Our forward line finally sorted itself out.

Our  mini slump came just after the middle of the h and a unlike the dogs.

we had the comeback of comebacks the last game to snatch top spot.

We smashed all our finals.

And we had one of the best gf wins of all time.

Almost worth the wait.

Always dreamed of watching the Demons win a flag and wondered what it'd be like.
Turns out it's even better than what I expected.
Reckon it was worth the wait but geez we endured more than our share of horror while waiting.

• Like 4

"Plan A" vs "Plan B" is a silly dichotomy.

Plan A is all the required necessities of modern football, like winning the clearances, winning the contested ball, tackling as hard as possible, moving the ball quickly, a tight zone defence, attacking from the back half, kicking to a leading target inside 50 etc. It's exactly what we did to a high level in the GF.

Apart from a few hopeful player movements and different match-ups, Plan B is just to try harder at Plan A.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mauriesy said:

Apart from a few hopeful player movements and different match-ups, Plan B is just to try harder at Plan A.

That's what good teams do. They succeed by executing plan A better. Their fans might harp a bit about plan B but generally it's a moot point.

It's also what bad teams do. They fail by trying harder at plan A and not being able to carry it off. Their fans arc up plenty about a lack of plan B. With good reason.

The really good teams have their plan A and when it's not working, find ways to change things to thwart the opposition. Sound fundamental strategy, a good match day tactical coaching. Melbourne FC 2021. GO DEMONS!!

melbourne football club yes GIF by Melbournefc

53 seconds to go in the third quarter - Petracca kicks the amazing bending inverted banana goal from the boundary forward pocket.  I’ve watched it 20-25 times now and it just amazes me.
Trac is a champion 🏆❤️💙

Quick quiz - who said this … 

“He’s kicked a Dusty goal early 

He’s kicked a Daicos goal late 

And if you cross Dusty and Daics, you get Petracca”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

melbourne football club yes GIF by Melbournefc

53 seconds to go in the third quarter - Petracca kicks the amazing bending inverted banana goal from the boundary forward pocket.  I’ve watched it 20-25 times now and it just amazes me.
Trac is a champion 🏆❤️💙

Quick quiz - who said this … 

“He’s kicked a Dusty goal early 

He’s kicked a Daicos goal late 

And if you cross Dusty and Daics, you get Petracca”

The worst commentator said that. 

It's the kind of thing an incredibly dumb bot would come up with.

• Like 1

I still just cannot believe how dominant we were to close out the game. 

To score 100-7 in the last 1.5 quarters is basically unheard of regardless of team and scenario, let alone in a GF.

To compare I thought of the most outrageous scoreline I can think of, which of course is the horrible 186 game vs Geelong 2011.

At half time in that game, the scoreline was 20.4.124 to 1.4.10 - we outscored the Dogs at a similar rate to one of the worst defeats in modern history, and in the Grand Final no less. And starting from 3 goals down at a crucial point in the match.

It just gets more and more incredible the more you think about it.

Edited by Doggas front teeth
  • Like 4
  • Love 1