POSTGAME: GRAND FINAL vs Western Bulldogs

Demonland

2 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I might be going out on a limb here, but upon refeltion, (as someone born well post 1964) I think that has to be about the most complete season I've seen the MFC put together.  This team might be going places, maybe even 'The One'!!

Nothing comes close

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Demonised said:

All last week I didn't like hearing people say, 'All I want to see is a good game.'

You know what? They were right. I think we saw a very, very good game.

Indeed we did. A come back and a smashing all in one game 😁

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Deesprate said:

Congratulations to the Demonland podcast team. George and Binmans analysis has been spot on. So called experts flogging the once every 28 days (2 in 29) rubbish and calling it a 50/50 game. Dees have been head and shoulders best team but no one wanted to acknowledge it. Not any more it will now all be about dynasties. The podcasters were spot on about defensive system (some expert equating that to being boring) and I for one was convinced after we beat Tigers this team was different. Rushed out bought grand final guarantees but COViD and WA premier stuffed that (I will never step foot in WA again). Andy please tell me your MFCSS is busted the boys were right all along. Finally after 57 years Deesprate no more. Thank you to everyone on this site it has helped me through the dark times but hey wasn’t last night worth it. Simply incredible 17 goals to 1. Petracca for PM or Premier at least. #Deespratenomore

I have to admit, I couldn’t believe Binman’s 47 point win tip and was very skeptical. Not that we wouldn’t win, but by such a large margin. Hats off to you @binman. You had the analysis and the belief!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fanatique Demon said:

... I sold our house for a profit, which is unheard of in rural France.

Yes, what a week indeed. But house prices in rural France have jumped post Covid, everyone wants out of their 45 m2 in the bigger cities.

67 years later, but its finally been avenged. And we beat them by a higher margin too. I’m glad some of our players from 1954 are still here to witness this

• Like 2
  • Love 2

What a way to bury the curse. Shock and awe is the only way to describe the most devastating burst of goals ever seen in a grand final. This team have been magnificent. So dominant through finals. Could not be more proud

It’s been an unreal season. For me, the lockdowns were manageable because the team were doing so well and provided an outlet from the tedium and monotony. Not sure how I’ll go now that season 2021 is done but the replays and afterglow should get me through to the end of lockdown.

Looking forward to Rd 1 2022. It’ll be some day at the G as Flag No 13 is unfurled

• Like 6
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Premiers said:

Nice gesture by Harmes trying to get JJ on the field for the last 5 minutes.

harmes-sacrifice

"Harmsey was trying to have a little cramp there just so I could get on at the end," Jordon said.

Yeah goody said on the sunday footy show they were trying to find a way to get JJ on but cramping doesn't fall under a medical reason to put the sub on. In all fairness may had a reason but he wouldn't have wanted to come off

• Like 1

8 hours ago, P-man said:

Same. I found that odd. It was the equivalent of skipping the father of the bride.

And as much as I love the big fella, I thought a shout out to Neale, Jimmy and/or Jonesy in Max’s speech would’ve been fitting.

But when your biggest complaint about a grand final is the speeches or lack thereof, you’re going pretty good.

He did mention all those people when Abby interviewed him straight after. But yeah I thought in his speech he could have mentioned jonsey but he at least remembered the sponsors

Edited by dees189227
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Agree 17 wins. 4 losses. 1 draw. Top of the ladder. Minor premiers. 

Three finals. Three big wins. 

Premiers 2021 🏆

THATS AN AMAZING YEAR

Three finals. Three big wins.   By an average of over 10 goals.  Must be a new record. All by “a team with a dysfunctional forward line”. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I’ve been thinking about our finals series and if I were fans of other teams in the AFL I would be getting very nervous about Melbourne’s prospects for the next few years. Aside from a couple of games through the H&A year we never really destroyed any teams, we just always did what was needed to be done. So come the finals series we went to a totally different level to any team in the competition this year. 

Now I don’t know if that was a Burgess masterstroke or what but what we produced when our backs were against the wall in the second should scare the crap out of teams for next season. I have never seen a Melbourne team produce such pure awesomeness, and to do it in the grand final makes it even better.

Aside from TMac, who’s second half of the year was definitely a drop, especially after he hurt his back, and maybe Brown was well being the age he is, I don’t see our lines declining in the next 2-3 years. If anything they could get better. 

I will also say this, thank you to the footy gods for finally giving us a good injury run. I have no doubt that the medical and support team deserve all the credit, but it was about time we got a run of good luck as well. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Agree 17 wins. 4 losses. 1 draw. Top of the ladder. Minor premiers. 

Three finals. Three big wins. 

Premiers 2021 🏆

THATS AN AMAZING YEAR

I’ve said this a few times now, there is much more satisfaction winning the flag and being the best team than just winning the flag (which is still amazing).

• Like 4
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Another thing to come out of the footy show is that Goodwin definitely had a speech prepared which he didn't get the opportunity to present because that absolutely moron Basil Zempilas stuffed his cue and didn't allow him to get in front of the mic! He also didn't allow Embley to name the Norm Smith medallist. What a tool.

Yes i knew about Basil’s pathetic effort, we MUST NEVER let him forget that EVER!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Did anyone else find that because of the way we won (onslaught of goals in the end) they never really had a big rush of emotion when we won?

Hard to explain, I just never had the cascade of tears that I was expecting.

Same.

I just laughed. Couldnt have squeezed out a tear if i wanted to.

Going back over the radio commentary may fix that

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, dees189227 said:

Yeah goody said on the sunday footy show they were trying to find a way to get JJ on but cramping doesn't fall under a medical reason to put the sub on. In all fairness may had a reason but he wouldn't have wanted to come off

I can just imagine Goody telling May to come off and May just running away from the bench, fingers in his ears, going “I can’t hear you”. 
We play fair. Other clubs would have fudged an injury report. 
Young JJ has a long career ahead of him. He will be ok. 

1 minute ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Did anyone else find that because of the way we won (onslaught of goals in the end) they never really had a big rush of emotion when we won?

Hard to explain, I just never had the cascade of tears that I was expecting.

When ANB kicked the goal in the fourth it all came out. I knew we couldn’t lose and after doing 6000 steps during the game, I just dropped to my knees and cried. I knew it was ours and it was such a relief. 
Then I just really enjoyed the rest of the game. But cried again when Gawny and Goodwin held up the cup. At that stage I had already had a few quick glasses of champagne and the buzz was real. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Lid is off! Congratulations to the team and all fellow supporters. Its been a long time coming. 

Stayed off until now to disgest the win but I have 34 pages to read....slowly just to relish it. 

Curse done superstitions gone (except in the 3rd I remembered I didnt have socks on in the geelong win so they came off and have now been binned, made all the difference apart from our mids, jacko and Fritta).

I am just so thrilled for all our supporters especially those on demonland. 

Wow just wow.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I can just imagine Goody telling May to come off and May just running away from the bench, fingers in his ears, going “I can’t hear you”. 
We play fair. Other clubs would have fudged an injury report. 
Young JJ has a long career ahead of him. He will be ok. 

When ANB kicked the goal in the fourth it all came out. I knew we couldn’t lose and after doing 6000 steps during the game, I just dropped to my knees and cried. I knew it was ours and it was such a relief. 
Then I just really enjoyed the rest of the game. But cried again when Gawny and Goodwin held up the cup. At that stage I had already had a few quick glasses of champagne and the buzz was real. 

Should have called up the Carlton doc - he would also say Max has "delayed concussion" thanks to the little dwarf who slammed his head into the concrete.  Would have cost him 6 weeks for next season.

Still, it may have helped fire us up for the unbelievable onslaught.

Edited by monoccular

23 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

In the wash up, we were what only 10-15 points off beating the Dogs by as much as we did the Cats.  That goal after the siren to T Mac was kind of unnecessary, but also a really sweet full stop on an amazing performance by the team.

Actually that goal from T Mac made it our biggest ever grand final victory, so it was an awesome on field statement to close an era of pain and suffering and somewhat fitting that T Mac was the man for the job as well.  I bet he enjoyed those two late goals and loved that dinky little snap from Salem as well.

6 goals from Fritta wearing No.31 the symbology was everywhere.

Still floating on cloud 9 this morning.

• Like 5
  • Love 1