Umps got it wrong - need a please explain

1 hour ago, Thehardtackler said:

Don’t know if you guys remember but a Chelsea Roffey goal line decision cost us a top 4 position and we finished fifth. It was around 2005. Guess who the match was against? Adelaide. We ended up getting a draw instead of a win, because she gave a point for a goal. It had cleared the line. The extra 2 points would have seen us finish fourth. I think we ended up at Fremantle away, in the semi finals, which we lost!

I remember it like it was yesterday, i called up 5AA and them a piece of my mind.

For all the people conflating our performance and the appalling umpiring decision are missing the point they are two separate issues. Using that logic and we played the best game in history and were dudded then the decision matters. There is only one issue and it not cheating umpires but why are they repeatedly so scared to make a decision in critical moments in front of parochial home crowds. Just saying because we played badly it doesn’t matter just does not make sense. Tell that to Clayton Oliver who busted his gut. The decision matters because the same issue has cost three different sides wins. It smack of poor umpiring leadership where they are so micro managed they are fearful a wrong decision will see them punished. There is clearly a systemic issue here and gutless umpiring is at the heart of it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

We played poorly and were 16 points up with less than 10 minutes to go. We should have won it regardless. 
But the standard of umpiring is getting so bad it’s now ruined 3 matches and we are not even half way thru the season. 
Embarrassing stuff.  

• Like 4
  • Angry 1

7 minutes ago, Jaded said:

We played poorly and were 16 points up with less than 10 minutes to go. We should have won it regardless. 
But the standard of umpiring is getting so bad it’s now ruined 3 matches and we are not even half way thru the season. 
Embarrassing stuff.  

Completely agree. We shouldn't have been in that position, but bloody hell the umpiring is a complete joke across the league. There needs to be some kind of challenge mechanism, or review at stoppages, when there are blatant howlers such as that deliberate call.

• Like 2

I’m still angry. The Keays decision was absolutely holding the ball. Then the Murray deliberate out of bounds cemented to complete bias towards the crows.  Playing against 21 is a tough ask.
I’m glad the AFL admitted again that the ump got it wrong. Absolutely zero intent.  Umps must have the courage to make the right call no matter what the venue and what the time clock. 

• Like 5

Umps got the decision wrong and is now officially recognised as such.

Only just had the masochistic urge to watch the final few minutes of that game again. What I found peculiar from our players was that hardly any of them pleaded to the umpire for the decision. No arms outstretched or other gesticulations, they just turned around and prepared for the throw in.

Now the umpire should pay the free regardless, but I can't help but wonder if that had a minor influence on the umpire, perhaps reaffirming his thoughts that it wasn't deliberate? Moot point now I guess.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Watch any match as a neutral and it's a head shaking experience to see all the missed frees, or the random ones pulled that weren't called in the exact opposite situation 2 minutes earlier.

9 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

I’m glad the AFL admitted again that the ump got it wrong. Absolutely zero intent.  Umps must have the courage to make the right call no matter what the venue and what the time clock. 

I don't think they need courage. They need the training & resources to be able to hone their craft and execute it dispassionately. In other words, they need to be professional. There will always be "home crowd affirmation", that's just a thing, but it can be mitigated. The AFL just don't care. The only way they'll care is if it starts costing them money.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Nascent said:

Umps got the decision wrong and is now officially recognised as such.

Only just had the masochistic urge to watch the final few minutes of that game again. What I found peculiar from our players was that hardly any of them pleaded to the umpire for the decision. No arms outstretched or other gesticulations, they just turned around and prepared for the throw in.

I don't mind that. We're up in the free kick differential. The Dogs, on top, are the umpires' mates. Richmond, way way down, moan and gripe and browbeat the umps constantly. It serves our interests long term for our players not to get caught up in the umpiring.

2 hours ago, Thehardtackler said:

Don’t know if you guys remember but a Chelsea Roffey goal line decision cost us a top 4 position and we finished fifth. It was around 2005. Guess who the match was against? Adelaide. We ended up getting a draw instead of a win, because she gave a point for a goal. It had cleared the line. The extra 2 points would have seen us finish fourth. I think we ended up at Fremantle away, in the semi finals, which we lost!

You made me curious so I had to look this up. Round 3 2006 Melbourne Vs Adelaide at Carrara (back when we sold our games interstate...). Arron Davey goal deemed touched on the line which would have levelled to scores. Instead we lost by 5 points. But a draw still would have seen us finish in 7th on percentage, thanks to the draw with Geelong in round 21. 

Here is the write up in The Age with this extraordinary comment though the AFL accepting the umpire made an error. 

“The AFL’s review of the Adelaide v Melbourne game received a positive appraisal, with the league’s view that the game was overall well umpired”.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/melbourne-should-have-had-out-of-bounds-free-kick-afl-20210524-p57uqq.html

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Haha 1

Courage is required as well as training.  Not everyone is suited to umpiring  

I used to be a referee of a sport which only rarely needed the ref to adjudicate. I decided being a ref was not for me when I found myself requiring a toilet break every time I saw a difficult situation developing. 

1 minute ago, John Crow Batty said:

“The AFL’s review of the Adelaide v Melbourne game received a positive appraisal, with the league’s view that the game was overall well umpired”.

Well, they would, because they've completely lost sight of what the [censored] they're supposed to be doing in the umpires' department. They're bereft of direction and Shocking is incapable of providing any. High scoring game with a close finish: must be good.

That game, our deplorable skill errors aside, felt like in every incident the umps were tossing dice. 1,2 = Crows free 3,4 = Demons free 5,6 = play on. Regardless of what was actually happening.

I watched the Pies/Power game yesterday and it was also horrendous. The most obvious frees going on right in front of the umps' noses. Play on. Then when they did pay a free ... "hang on ... why then did you NOT pay that same thing down the other end a few mintes ago???"

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Look again, he’s a fair way behind the players and Fritsch and his opponents are directly in his path to the ball. The umpire at the front of the screen is a boundary umpire. The field umpire does as well as he can but he couldn’t see what the Crows player and Spargo were doing 

The AFL in their "explanation" didn't use a lack of vision from the umpire as an excuse. Now I'm not for one minute saying the AFL explanation of "he thought there was a player in the vicinity" is the truth - we all know it's just a massaged message to avoid the obvious reason why the free wasn't paid - but if in fact the umpire was too far away or had his view obstructed they would have said this. It's the easy out. The fact they didn't shows it wasn't a case of him being out of position.

• Like 2

But the league declined to make a ruling on whether Ben Keays should have been penalised for holding the ball when tackled moments before the contentious boundary throw-in decision.

now thats a shock ( sarcasm)

• Like 1

Really surprised it wasn't mentioned on Access All Areas as it was done with the mark decision in the Swans v Cats game a few weeks ago.  Just shoes the purple [censored] isn't as independent as he always claims to be and is pushing some agenda...

If our players made more of a fuss when the deliberate was not paid I wonder if the umps, having time to reflect on their error, would have mysteriously plucked a free out of the air at the throw in or ball up.  

• Haha 1