The political machinations at Collingwood

6 minutes ago, Tony Tea said:

It's all a plot by Korda to drive Collingwood into administration then save Collingwood with administration. He's a black and white knight.

They definitely need the white knight part of the equation. Not sure about the black knight though. As of recent times, the entire club has been analogous to the Black Knight. ?

monty python fight GIF

The Magpies are in the doldrums just at the moment and I feel it behoves us, since we're doing pretty well, to offer them some help to get a leg up from the dross around the bottom of the ladder.

Mick McGuane has weighed in ( pun intended)  with a suggestion to pick up Tyson Stengle,  " a small creative pressure forward who can score."

Stengle could be just what they need, especially if scoring is a priority for them.

My simple advice to the Pies is spill the board and shed the yolk of the Eddie McGuire influence completely. If I were less charitable I would say Collingwood can go to hell.

• Haha 1

Korda's calling the drive for an EGM a "coup" in a letter to supporters that didn't go to members but to the Hun, when he's on a board who just parachuted in someone not eligible to be a director, and whose ex-president bragged about not having an election in 23 years. He's clearly all about due process. Slowly tearing themselves apart.

My guess is there will be a "peaceful", hand over of power.

As much as we & the media would love the turmoil of a special AGM, I can't see it happening.

Edited by rjay

Melbourne is a great example of how these board spills and tickets for new presidency can be an absolute disaster for a club and leave them in the wilderness for 10+ years. It’s hard not to have a little schadenfreude about it, particularly when it comes to the pies. 

Eddie should be feeling a lot of responsibility for this, which in some ways is a shame because if he’d read the tea leafs right he could’ve left the club in the best position but I get the feeling he is a person that loves the feeling of power so being selfless was not in his character. 

On the outside this tumbling house of cards started when he forced Mick Malthouse aside for his favourite son. They were on the verge of a dynasty with Malthouse, but that move clearly created discord in the club and it’s just been bubbling in the background ever since.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2021 at 11:35 AM, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Pies get legal advice on new board member O’Donnell

It has begun.

The culmination of 12 years of machinations, relationship breakdowns, and a fiefdom run by 2 blokes in two blokes in particular (Eddie and FIGJAM) is about to explode spectacularly.

I've said elsewhere that I always thought that Eddie would bide his time and then make another sortie for a board position. With Browne the candidate making moves at the top job, I have changed my position. Eddie's ego will heartily agree with getting rid of the board who gave him his marching orders for one led by one of his cronies while he spends his time using his not insignificant media platform rehabilitating his reputation. Either way, the upcoming s***fight will be fascinating.?

I'd reckon EM would be better understood, now that he has passed through some recent trials invoking an interesting footballing history lesson on ego and aptitude. The Filth may be better off without him. His media interests would also be better off without him. 'Good riddance' is a quote that I hear often in conversations from many footballing addicts, from many varied AFL club supporters. It's harsh, but it is rather frequent when the topic comes up (this topic surfaces rarely now since his departure from the Presidency of the CFC). 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rjay said:

My guess is there will be a "peaceful", hand over of power.

As much as we & the media would love the turmoil of a special AGM, I can't see it happening.

I hope there is. Their members are up in arms that they have no say. A "peaceful" hand over would be more of the same. The new board would lack legitimacy from day one.

• Like 1

I'm flirting with a lifetime ban by posting this, so I'll say from the outset that this is for reference purposes only. ?

My Collingwood supporting brother sent me this. What Hatley should be upset about is the removal of all the splinters in his bum from sitting on the fence. What exactly he is upset about is so vague. He mentions 'Do Better' but what is the source of his angst is never made clear. He's also against the way 'Eddie lost his job', but what exactly was done wrong is never elaborated on really.?

It seems like he is the vehicle to get Browne in while appearing to be 'above the fray'. 

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

I hope there is. Their members are up in arms that they have no say. A "peaceful" hand over would be more of the same. The new board would lack legitimacy from day one.

It's looking like the natives are getting very restless so my call may not be correct.

They want a say and not a backroom deal.

How powerful are the membership? all clubs talk the talk, I'm not sure any including ours actually walk it.

It's going to be interesting watching how they handle this.

• Like 1