CHANGES: Rd 07 vs North Melbourne

Demonland

They are playing for each other and I dont think we should crack what they got going.

Unless there is an injury.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cheesy D. Pun said:

I don't understand people wanting to bring in a key forward for a small or medium player.

We currently have a pretty good balance, so I certainly wouldn't be bringing a tall in without taking one out.

I've loved what Bedford is doing in the VFL and would love to see him replace Melksham but Melky seems to be bullet proof so it's an unlikely scenario.

Tonight's not the time for the debate, but the question is whether we're getting what we need from Melksham.

Another option is to push TMac up the ground (e.g. replacing Jones) and bring Brown into TMac's forward 50 spot.

These are good, but tough, issues to have to address.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, titan_uranus said:

Tonight's not the time for the debate, but the question is whether we're getting what we need from Melksham.

Another option is to push TMac up the ground (e.g. replacing Jones) and bring Brown into TMac's forward 50 spot.

These are good, but tough, issues to have to address.

I watched a bit of the Freo/ North game tonight and Zeibel was good off half back. Melksham would be the perfect fit to play the forward negating role on him.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Another option is to push TMac up the ground (e.g. replacing Jones) and bring Brown into TMac's forward 50 spot

I don't mind this idea if its part of the team's long-term game plan and we think there's a flaw that this will improve.

If it's just to try and get a player in because he's too good for VFL, that isn't worth the risk.

In my view, TMac and Jacko are the incumbents in a balanced line up. To get a spot, you've got to go through them.

Edited by Cheesy D. Pun
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, deespicable me said:

I watched a bit of the Freo/ North game tonight and Zeibel was good off half back. Melksham would be the perfect fit to play the forward negating role on him.

I've been fairly critical of Melksham but this is exactly the kind of role that he's done well before. 

It seems he's undroppable, so he may as well do something useful - I like it.

• Like 1

I'd also add that Max said on the channel 7 telecast post-match that Weid and Brown are unlikely to play again next week due to the form of TMac and LJ.

That suggests to me a fairly strong commitment to just two talls.

• Like 1

Having watched Casey & tonight's games there's only one change for mine and it's a pretty easy one...

BB in for Melk

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 3

NO CHANGE

• Like 2

I really can’t see how they can keep Brown at Casey. He is a walk up starter, and just because he hasn’t played for us before, I think people forget what a good forward he is.

Having a big presence up forward taking marks is just going to make us that much better. Yes Tmac is playing extremely well, but he can push further up the ground. Imagine Fritsch getting the third best defender because the opposition has to cover Brown, Tmac,  a resting Jackson or Gawn and Fritsch. That is going to create a totally different dynamic. 

We know that at some point or another we need to get Brown into the team. We have a fairly “soft” game next week, against Brown’s old team at a ground he plays well at (probably). It makes sense to bring him in now and start working out the best forward structure around him. 
If we can kick a few more goals a game, who is going to complain? 

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Cheesy D. Pun said:

I don't mind this idea if its part of the team's long-term game plan and we think there's a flaw that this will improve.

If it's just to try and get a player in because he's too good for VFL, that isn't worth the risk.

In my view, TMac and Jacko are the incumbents in a balanced line up. To get a spot, you've got to go through them.

Absolutely right Cheesey !!!

Injuries through the season will unbalance us if we don't give players a run after playing well for Casey.

We need cohesion with a good 26 to 28 players.

There must be some with niggles, to make way for those knocking at the door.

Rewards for good play in the 2's, must be there.

Tough decisions for the committee.

Jetts, Baker, Weids, B. Brown, Bedford, Lockhart, Chandler, possible ins.

Harmes will get a run in the 2's, as well as Sparrow for an entire game, (IMO).

Melksham, Jones, Kossie (managed), Jordon (managed), Fritta (managed), Rivers (managed), Spargo (managed),  possible outs.

Thought Fritta got hit a few times, River puts his body on the line, kossie had a hit to his leg, Spargo, I was exhausted just seeing how hard he worked, Jordon playing on hard nuts in the middle of it.

My guess would be

In:  B. Brown and Weids 

Out:  Melky and Jones

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, kev martin said:

My guess would be

In:  B. Brown and Weids 

Out:  Melky and Jones

We can't go so tall. The mix is good at the moment. Three smalls (Kozzie, Spargo, ANB), two mediums (Fritta and Melk) and two talls TMac and Jackson/Gawn.

Has to be like for like replacements. 

56 minutes ago, Mr Steve said:

Every single player at this club is playing for Jones at the moment stop calling for him to be dropped. It's not going to happen. 

It is only an opinion. 

The other player are big boys and understand if that will happen.

They probably know he is not at his best and got him through to his 300th.

Someone has to make way, so we can find our best fit and get others match fit to AFL standard.

Jones and Melksham's best attributes are linking, assits into the 50, and 1 on 1 play.

Melksham seems to be boundary side, and not getting enough of the ball.

Jones is linking well but not putting enough quality ball into the 50 area.

Our inside 50, and 1 on 1's, are being dominated by Fritta.

I'm sure the coaches have told him and others of their expectations.

He will be there in the wings, come injuries or underperformances. 

Why be so assertive with your own opinion? It could happen sooner or later.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, dee-tox said:

We can't go so tall. The mix is good at the moment. Three smalls (Kozzie, Spargo, ANB), two mediums (Fritta and Melk) and two talls TMac and Jackson/Gawn.

Has to be like for like replacements. 

I think they should mix it up.

Try new structures, see if they fit.

We have some great endurance runners who are working hard up and down the field.

Can see Langdon, Oliver and Tracc, putting forward pressure in there, as Tmac, Jackson and Weid move up the field. 

Our smalls lock the ball in the forward area. Didn't see Melksham or Jones doing much of that.

Our smalls crumb the packs. Didn't see Melksham or Jones doing much of that.

Moving a small/medium out of the structure may give more room to Kossie, ANB and Spargo.

Kossie, ANB and Spargs have been running all over the field. 

Really not sure if the like for like, is absolute. 

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 4

Amazing game. Seriously good. Tough to talk changes on Sat night but next week is a good opportunity to try a few changes. 

BBB has to come in after another 4 goals in the VFL.  He is highly likely to be part of our best 22 and so he needs to start getting comfortable with the team. 

I’d bring in BBB to FF, move Jackson to Jones’s position on the interchange (he’s so versatile). Let Jones take some time off to make space for others. I doubt he’d mind that. 

Plus I’d rest anyone with any niggles. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nasher said:

Jones, Melksham and Spargo are our clear bottom 3 at present. I think a case can be made for any of those three to go - but only one of them. I’d pick Brown ahead of Weid.

I’d be really tempted to go no change though. The present mix is working. The risk of breaking it has to be a consideration.

Id put spargo in top 10 easy :)

• Like 1

I just don’t know how you make a change after beating the premiers unless there’s an injury. I mean in my wildest dreams I couldn’t have imagined us being 6-0 having beaten the tigers, with Weid and Brown not having played a minute of senior footy. 

• Like 8

As much as I love Nate Jones, he is no longer a best 22 player. I am certain that he knows that.

Jones out for Brown. Weideman no chance.

Edited by ProperDee
  • Like 1