Gary Pert on The Deebrief

Sir Why You Little

1 minute ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

It is all a fog now.  Prior to the WC Home and Away match didn't we have a few chances before that to cement our spot?

We blew a golden chance the week before at the G playing sydney which we were eco expected to win ( remember Henney took mark of the year over Hogan after Peterson our the ball up perfectly for him in the last quarter ?) anyways we all then thought we were screwed then having to go to Perth and then play GWS the following week only needing one more win 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

These guys could have pressed harder.

Pert made clear we are financially strong - suspect we could afford SG payout.

Let’s see what happens in the last 2 games. If we lose badly, i don’t think Goodwin will survive. 
the Vultures have begun to circle

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SFebes said:

He did get the wobbly boots on big time at the end re Goodwin next year. Surely he was expecting that question lol

I dunno.. I reckon he was just annoyed that he was asked considering i think he indirectly answered 'yes he will be already' in his other responses. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Delusional demon 82 said:

We blew a golden chance the week before at the G playing sydney which we were eco expected to win ( remember Henney took mark of the year over Hogan after Peterson our the ball up perfectly for him in the last quarter ?) anyways we all then thought we were screwed then having to go to Perth and then play GWS the following week only needing one more win 

Yeah i remember now lol....Is that the only other chance we had, i have feeling we another chance to cement it

I appreciate the guys getting Pert on to the podcast, which I've found to be a good listen. However, I think they let him get off reasonably unscathed. As others have said - when asked whether Goodwin would be at the club in Round 1 next year, he gave a good politician's answer.

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure Pert would have refused various questions. This is the corporate world. You have a brand and you have a strategy attached to that. Anyone expecting to gain true insight is naive IMO.

• Like 6

Just finished. As a regular listener of this podcast it wasn't bad, they could have pressed a bit more but I appreciated it considering this was one of a handful of times I've heard him speak in the nearly 2 year period he's been here. 

The guy is an excellent talker and uses words very measured and carefully. He would easily have me buying a car off him and then driving down the road thinking 'wait a minute'. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, A F said:

I'm pretty sure Pert would have refused various questions. This is the corporate world. You have a brand and you have a strategy attached to that. Anyone expecting to gain true insight is naive IMO.

I agree but it's a pretty lame attitude to have towards your number one stakeholder, the supporters. Cochrane from Gold Coast brilliant in the regard

He played a straight bat, but what else did we expect?

Re: Goodwin - he wasn't going to give anything away, and I don't think his comments change what we might do.  How many coaches, in many sporting professions, get the backing of those above, only to lose their job not long after?  If we lose our last two games, which obviously causes us to miss finals, then I would suspect their thinking would change dramatically.

He was never going to drop anyone in it and cause further issues at this point of the season.  They can worry about that once the season is over.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, 3183 Dee said:

I appreciate the guys getting Pert on to the podcast, which I've found to be a good listen. However, I think they let him get off reasonably unscathed. As others have said - when asked whether Goodwin would be at the club in Round 1 next year, he gave a good politician's answer.

I'm shocked people go in expecting anything different. Players can't even answer questions these days given how clubs and the AFL media train them to say nothing human. 

I thought the interview was insightful given what we typically get. Anyone going to listen to a podcast and expecting the President to come out to a bunch of guys on a podcast and say 'we're disappointed in Simon & at the end of the year, we'll be re-assessing his contract if we don't make finals' - two weeks before the end of the year with the club locked up together lives in a different world to me. 

I read between the lines and take it that Pert did not unilaterally back Goodwin - that in itself gives me an important answer. Tick. 

The soft-cap moves from 9.5 million to 6.5 million. We need to remove 33% of our operating expense from the business (which is near on impossible in any business) in one year. If the contract doesn't have an out, there is quite literally no possible way we could fire him & hire a new coach under the cap without sacking everyone else. That doesn't mean the club is happy with his performance but COVID was not to be expected. Perhaps they are having private conversations with AFL in the event we terminate a coach, could that money not be included in the soft cap? My reading of the situation is even if we finished dead last, it would be extremely difficult to move him on this year. I think he will get 2021 as a prove it year and following another disappointing year and some more financial security - we would be in a position to make that move. 

I'm impressed with the podcast & appreciated the more reasoned approached from Benny from memory. Irrational, emotional ramblings are simply going to be battered away by Pert and administrators of that ilk. Come armed with information, supporting evidence & get him to speak to it... no s**t the supporters are [censored] off, I don't think he needs to recognise that on a podcast for us to understand.

Well done to the Deebrief crew, I really liked it. Would also like Bartlett on as I feel like he may be able to be cracked open a little more than Pert who did this all before with Collingwood and knows very well where to draw the line. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

He played a straight bat, but what else did we expect?

Re: Goodwin - he wasn't going to give anything away, and I don't think his comments change what we might do.  How many coaches, in many sporting professions, get the backing of those above, only to lose their job not long after?  If we lose our last two games, which obviously causes us to miss finals, then I would suspect their thinking would change dramatically.

He was never going to drop anyone in it and cause further issues at this point of the season.  They can worry about that once the season is over.

Exactly right, ideally you'd like to have this interview when the season is dusted. He played a straight bat, I would too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arrow said:

The soft-cap moves from 9.5 million to 6.5 million. We need to remove 33% of our operating expense from the business (which is near on impossible in any business) in one year. If the contract doesn't have an out, there is quite literally no possible way we could fire him & hire a new coach under the cap without sacking everyone else. That doesn't mean the club is happy with his performance but COVID was not to be expected. Perhaps they are having private conversations with AFL in the event we terminate a coach, could that money not be included in the soft cap? My reading of the situation is even if we finished dead last, it would be extremely difficult to move him on this year. I think he will get 2021 as a prove it year and following another disappointing year and some more financial security - we would be in a position to make that move. 

I heard the other day that there is an out this year with terminations of contracts not having to be in the soft cap next year. I believe it is the reason why the suns got rid of Solomon. He apparently was contracted for next year so instead of just paying him next year they took the out and got rid on him now. 

I haven't heard it mentioned too often so I could be mistaken but if true, this could let us get rid of him without destroying our caps. 

• Like 1

I think I read that the cap limit has been reduced but you can exceed the cap but have to pay a tax on the figure in excess. Wealthier clubs could still exceed the cap in this scenario. Can anyone clarify this?

1 hour ago, Age said:

I heard the other day that there is an out this year with terminations of contracts not having to be in the soft cap next year. I believe it is the reason why the suns got rid of Solomon. He apparently was contracted for next year so instead of just paying him next year they took the out and got rid on him now. 

I haven't heard it mentioned too often so I could be mistaken but if true, this could let us get rid of him without destroying our caps. 

Yeah I heard that to I think it was On The Couch. I think the amount was $3.50m and wouldn’t be included in next seasons soft cap. 

This is our chance to pizz him off and get a real, experienced coach. 

4 hours ago, SFebes said:

He did get the wobbly boots on big time at the end re Goodwin next year. Surely he was expecting that question lol

Did Pert actually say YES he will be coaching next season SFebes or did he talk around it like a good politician would?

• Like 1