Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 07 vs Hawthorn

Demonland

3 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

He's just very meh to me Jnr..

Me too. Just gathers useless stats like Cotchin used to do. Around the back, give and go. Doesn't do much damage at all.

Looks like they played well yesterday have not seen a frame yet, yesterday was not a good day here. Recorded it so will watch at some point today. Gee my idea of resting Kossie was a good one. 
Think I will go off the bed now!

• Haha 1

Without a doubt our best game since the Hawthorn game of the 2018 finals series. Couldn’t find a weak link in any of the players yesterday. OMac, May, Petracca and Gawn were particularly impressive. Since 2018  we have been in limbo with our few wins painfully eked out. Why does it take an eye watering media roasting to wake the club up?  The club never listens to fans. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, america de cali said:

Without a doubt our best game since the Hawthorn game of the 2018 finals series. Couldn’t find a weak link in any of the players yesterday. OMac, May, Petracca and Gawn were particularly impressive. Since 2018  we have been in limbo with our few wins painfully eked out. Why does it take an eye watering media roasting to wake the club up?  The club never listens to fans. 

What the hell we would we know, collectively we have 50000 sets of eyes and 25000 brains!

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Excellent win, thoroughly enjoyable.

Plaudits clearly to CP5, Max, Oliver, Jack. All superlatives already explained by all.

Langdon, Weid, Bennell, Omac, May, Lever, Jackson, Hibbo, Harmes, Salem, Hannan all played their roles well.

Fritsch, Pickett still heaps of upside.

Making Weid, Bennell, Jackson, OMac earn their spots has proved a good decision. 

Even though Hawthorn were poor, we continued to play positive football throughout the game. We still made mistakes but kept the confidence to keep playing the same way. We looked like a team.

Bring on the Lions

• Like 5

1 hour ago, america de cali said:

Maybe because it had [censored] all to do with the media roasting...that'd be why.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ManDee said:

I wonder if Chris Fagan will call Clarkson this week for some insight. 

That was a good win (intended). Max was a leviathan, great match. Go Deees!

Not sure if you’re serious, but I’m thinking AFL coaches don’t help other coaches win games! 

Edited by Mel Bourne

Special shout out to Harley B who needs to invest a couple of hours into learning the words to the song

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/745868/team-song-melbourne?videoId=745868&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1595145422001

You'd think having won three games he'd be all over it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MurDoc516 said:

- Brayshaw and Harmes dissapointed today for me. I never question their attitude or desire, but both butcher the ball. Harmes is giving a way a lot of silly free kicks as well. Both need to and can lift.

I want to know what Harmes' role was yesterday before I make judgements. I may be wrong but I think he was playing on Smith, who regularly destroys us. If so, he did an excellent job as Smith was basically invisible. He also appeared to play a little more forward, which I don't mind, but of course that will lower his stats. 

Wouldn't pay too much attention to the free kicks. There were some pretty soft ones paid the Hawks way. Can't blow air on them without it being a free.

Gawn was absolutely immense yesterday. At one point my husband said 'I don't know why they bother playing someone on him, just give it up'. Next minute the umpire is yelling 'no Hawks ruck', Gawn takes the ball out of the backline all on his own. It's like they knew. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, rjay said:

Posted this in the game day thread....

Pickering of the Liam variety thinks it will be a walk in the park for the Hawks today.

Honestly, I think he is way off the mark and look forward to sending a text to him at SEN complimenting his total lack of football knowledge.

Will, be tracking down 'Pickers' this week, be interested in his expert opinion of the game...lol.

Anyone know when he's next on SEN?

Yes i heard that quote and will not forget it

Usually he is on Saturday Mornings 

• Thanks 1

Great win but I still think we have another gear or two which we can get to. We played a bit like the Alice Game vs Adelaide in 2018, but not quite as clean.

I hate Hawthorn more than any other club, so I have liked almost all the posts on this thread. It was great beating them but it also great knowing they are finally on the slide.

Petracca and Gawn were awesome.

Petracca's goal kicking is much more confident.

The only downside was Viney missing that goal when he shrugged the tackle and gave a one-two from the centre bounce. I would have lost it had that gone through.

Weideman has started to give us a real target and is kicking straight.

Our tall backs are starting to gel and spoiling each other less.

Jackson will be unstoppable if he can improve his marking and kick straight.

Bennell is getting better every week. I spoke to a relative of Darren Burgess last week and he said how exited the club are about Harley, saying he is two weeks away from his best.

The connection with our forwards was much improved and Weid and the other forwards did a pretty good job getting the ball to ground.

Kossie looks so skilful and electric. He needs to be a bit cleverer about the way he finishes his chases to not give away free kicks.

Hannan has been in really good form and has improved his goal kicking.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Watching the game noticing Bolton saying something to Clarkson in the coaches box, Clarko looks despondent looking away.

What could he have said to him?.

My Version........  Bolton says, It doesn't look good Boss, I remember  that  censored  club lost me my job. If l were you,  I would be resigning asap before you get the sack. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, one_demon said:

I liked Jackson's game but I'm not sure he can hold down a key forward position.

Maybe not at the moment, thats true, but Weid is playing the more conventional leading forward that crashes the pack and gets the ball to ground. TMac has been getting lost underneath the ball when leading forward, and IMO pushes too far up the ground too often (which frustrated me when we only had one true key forward playing!) 

Jackson roams the forward half of the ground and rucks more effectively than TMac, and Weid plays the typical key forward roll more effectively and rucks better than TMac. 

So,... for me unless we decide to play 3 talls, I'd stick with the two that are making the most of their opportunity to play. 

Edited by Ouch!

6 hours ago, DaisyDeeciple said:

Anyone else on their 2nd lap of the replay?

Some observations -  COVID... meh, who cares? We have been suffering from MFCSS for so long, we played 4 quarters of attractive football, the world just became a better place... But more sort of seriously..

1. Koutoufides, that is what Trac has become, 1996 Kouta, just moves like a god, who would have ever backed Trac in a foot race with Scully. Playing with an Xbox cheat code this season.

2, I don't normally lose faith in players, but I must admit Oscar had lost me a little, so glad to be wrong, I think he will double his salary if he keeps playing this way. Our back 6 will be premiership standard before long, this has not happened in 50 years to have all the pieces. Hibberd for rebound playing like a man possessed. Salem sharp shooting. Three big tall bodies gliding across the park, I believe they can stymie any of the other attacks going around.

3, Harley is just amazing, before the end of the year his highlight reel will be all Red and Blue, starting with that handball, was a bazooka, like something from the 70's - a Chrysler Valliant V8 of a handball with a supercharger bolted on. 

4, the love for each other is just like 2018, they really get around each other, back to valuing the score assist more than the goal. 

5, Tmac for VDB, am sorry to say but his disposal was the only worry today, I know he is a beast but we have a couple. Don't go getting down on Tmac because he wasn't part of this win, we are better with him in the side, he is very close to a purple patch soon..

6, Weid a serious step in the right direction, but I still think Tmac need to be in the same side, along with LJ, Fritsch and Kozzie gold dust. Can we get back to 2018 scoring? I don't think so yet, but I hope to be wrong.

7, it's been said many times, but what a game when there are no passengers hey!?!

8, Gawn as Captain, I don't believe it, when was the last time a Melbourne player got better while being Captain? Jones went close but I struggle to remember another.

Note: (Please take the COVID comment in the light handed manner intended, seriously my prayers for anyone affected)  

Agree with it all except this.

I'm not Vanders' biggest fan, but the one thing he does bring that Tom doesn't is tackling pressure.

I think we're a better, more balanced side without Tom. There, I said it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A F said:

Agree with it all except this.

I'm not Vanders' biggest fan, but the one thing he does bring that Tom doesn't is tackling pressure.

I think we're a better, more balanced side without Tom. There, I said it.

I think I agree, but I will say that TMac hasn't been helped by our selectors, being left one out as the key forward for some time. But seeing how the forward line is functioning without him looks exciting and more unpredictable and therefore harder to match up against.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, binman said:

As discussed earlier in this thread the game plan has changed a bit. And goody deserves a lot of credit for that.

On conversion two there are noticeable change in the last couple of games compared to the first few (and both hark back to 2018).

The first is through quick agressive ball movement and running in waves we have created more space inside 50 and more free players. Hayley's goal was the perfect example.

The second Is they are really looking for opportunities for the kick get into the corridor inside 50. There weren't as many yesterday but it certainly helps our accuracy.

Yep, okay, Goody deserves a lot of credit, but just maybe, he's started to listen to the assistants around him too?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, A F said:

Yep, okay, Goody deserves a lot of credit, but just maybe, he's started to listen to the assistants around him too?

Yep, possibly. But that's a really good thing is it not?

• Like 1
  • Love 1