POSTGAME: Rd 02 vs Carlton

Demonland

25 minutes ago, GCDee said:

Stopped watching midway through the third. Could see where the game was heading happy to see we somehow won. 

I cannot remember a team that can look like a top 4 team then a bottom two team in the space of a quarter. 

Gary Lyon is also impossible to listen to, the constant negative comments about Melbourne (even when we were flying) is just so draining 

I agree but he is mfc supporter and it must take great resolve to hold back as much as he does. If it was me...

Great first quarter then thought it would just happen and couldn’t control momentum once they got their tails up. Not helped by our love of 3 defenders up in a contest and our inability to hold a forward set up when under pressure. We still dont put enough chase on as soon as the ball gets more than 3 metres away from a contest (Oliver and Brayshaw the worst offenders(. TMac looks too heavy. Melksham looks disinterested or done. Well done to Rivers on a very promising debut, Trac for continuing to show what he can be and also Hunt for making the most of his opportunity. 

Take the 4 points and accept we are not as great as we looked in the first but better than we looked in the last. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, waynewussell said:

We need a key forward that can mark the ball.

...and lead to space in a way that is not initially readable by the opposition. TMac (and the Weed) are too static whereas Fritta is too slight and small. 

5 minutes ago, Older demon said:

I was amazed how well the first quarter went and then Carlton came to play and made it a contest.

I don't like our structure and it showed today that we don't have a leadings tall forward and Fritsch is not a key position player. The Carlton talls started to dominate as the game progressed cos they don't get shorter. Seriously at one stage Nev was minding McKay.  At the other end we continually got out marked in the contest by Weitering and co and then the run off half back to a leading tall forward made us look  ordinary.

There were a lot of skill errors and Smith has to learn NOT to fly for everything down back. Rivers was a revelation and I love his run and balance. We cannot expect Jackson to be a marking target up forward and T Mac os the only tall key forward looked out of sorts and chasing tail. At one stage Hunt was playing full forward.

The positives are Max was dominant and in a good contest with Pittonet. Trac was everything we had hope he would be, strong clean and polished. Rivers was impressive, Bennel showed poise and class on limited minutes, Clarry is still a ball magnet and the wingmen in Langdon and Tomlinson show what was desperately missing from last years midfield.

A very ugly, heart attack inducing win

Jackson is only 18. Give him a break!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

So what you're telling me is, because our backs didn't click today, we need to get Frost back?

Righto.

Would he be in contention to get a game in front of Joel Smith 110%. 
tell me one thing Smith has proved to be better than Frost at. 

Rightio. 

38 minutes ago, Kent said:

[censored] this guy off

Quite the opposite

Coach Badloss really excelled tonight Most coaches might take the foot off the pedal in the final few minutes of the last quarter to rest the players but Simple Simon turned off the engine and threw away the key after the first 20 minutes and sill won. Presumably the boys will be fresh for next week. Tactical genius

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

That’s Goodwin getting too cute as per usual.

Jetta was also on McKay for periods when the one player he has continuously given a bath to his whole career (Betts) was left alone.

It was maddening. Goodwin knows 3/8ths of 2/9ths of far call.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Jetta was also on McKay for periods when the one player he has continuously given a bath to his whole career (Betts) was left alone.

Amateur hour. Pathetic really. 

• Like 1

Worst feeling ever after a win, was really looking forward to footy and we dished up one good quarter....

20 minutes ago, Swooper Northey said:

It's seriously concerning that we couldn't wrestle back the momentum at any point. The signs were there in the second quarter and we just didn't respond. 1.2 in the second half in an indictment. A hollow victory. 

Just now, My name is legion said:

Jackson is only 18. Give him a break!

Jackson will be a seriously good player, of that I have no doubt but he is not ready yet.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I think the most disappointing thing was we had some very impressive passages of play. Some of those plays that led to goals was 2018 Melbourne.

To drop off from that in the second half and lack in so many other areas hurt to watch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Betts was only alone cos Smith flew for everything and anything leaving him alone.

But yeah, Jetta to Betts in any ones world is a Monty... except Goodwins.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

That was a relief. That was a disgraceful last quarter. Too conservative, too complacent. We are still mentally weak. Jones should retire. McDonald has to go down back and Smith forward. Gawn, Petracca and Oliver were fantastic.

How far back do you want McDonald to go I suggest third row in the Great Southern Stand

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

This is drives me me nuts. I have heard the players talk about how they have licence to switch players and fly for spoils. We have to many see ball go for ball players

The first quarter was as good as it could get, the rest of the game was a disgrace. 

I know people don’t like OMac, well suck it up. Choosing Smith over him almost cost us the game, Smith doesn’t look like a key defender. A floating interception defender perhaps but zero sense of how/when to go for contests and spoil. 

Before I say this let me be clear, I like the look for Jackson and I think he has a big future with us. But having him over Weiderman just gave us nothing, he didn’t do enough at the ruck contests and didn’t have any forward sense. Give him time but Weids should be in there. 

But what really concerned me was the middle of the ground, they murdered us after half time and I’d say we broke even in the second quarter. Viney and Brayshaw were MIA at times and all of a sudden our ruck domination with Max went to zip. 

The other big problem is Tom McDonald, he wasn’t even in the contest today again not great delivery but neither did he create a break even. He should be put on notice that one more game like that and he’s dropped.

We got the win, we didn’t deserve it. 1-1 gives us a chance but right now we look right off it. 

Edited by Pates
  • Like 2

We got the 4 points

Bennell got through the game

Petracca looked good

That's all

But you know what annoyed me. The team singing the song and no one bothered to notice our captain who just had his first win as captain and was our best player was still doing his fox footy interview and he missed the song. 

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, GCDee said:

Stopped watching midway through the third. Could see where the game was heading happy to see we somehow won. 

I cannot remember a team that can look like a top 4 team then a bottom two team in the space of a quarter. 

Gary Lyon is also impossible to listen to, the constant negative comments about Melbourne (even when we were flying) is just so draining 

Yep agree can't stand Lyon commentating our games

• Like 4