Training Ground?

Romey

3 hours ago, DeeZone said:

Ha ha CCC doesn’t have the same ring Or history of MCC.!!

I suspect where the MCC has been included is an error and the MFC should replace it. Makes more sense and is quite possible in advice or posting this occurred. 

Willing to be corrected and no knowledge in this matter. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

If this isn't announced tomorrow just be aware that my day will be ruined and I'll have to drink many a whisky to feel better about myself...

......and if it is, it will be a great day and you'll have many a whisky to celebrate?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, pitmaster said:

That is simply not plausible. It makes sense that she would not attend the announcement now that she is no longer on the Board, although given how recent her departure was it is equally possible that she would be welcome for appearances' sake.

But to suggest she was told not to attend while she remained president of the club, and was seemingly to remain so for the indefinite future defies logic.

The Whateley interview brought her undone, but prior to that she was evidently manoeuvring to add Steve Smith to the board with a view to him succeeding her as president. Had the interview not taken place she would still be president. To announce a major club initiative with the president absent is crazy and as I said above, your post beggars belief.

Multiple posters have commented here that Roffey has not had the involvement in this deal that you would expect from the outside. I, and others, have gone as far as to say previously that we had heard the key stakeholders in the negotiations had made it clear they did not want Roffey involved at all and would not deal with her. This makes it completely not surprising she would be told she should not attend any forthcoming announcements.

The Whateley interview was a perhaps a final straw in terms of public perception, but 'powerbrokers' behind the scenes had been working towards removing her for months, and the AFL had already made it clear it was best for the club she move on. It's laughable to suggest that interview was all that stood between her being a standing president and being forced to walk out. Sure, it was bad, but that's the part that would 'beggar belief'.

• Thanks 3
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

On 16/09/2024 at 16:26, Tolstoys Nudge said:

Sorry tagged wrong post.. but for those who say 'big deal, travel tie etc boo hoo - or No.31 "When looking for a new job (say it is an office job), do you look at the location, condition, style, facilities of the office, the building its located in and the area it is in?" -- You are missing the point, it is NOT an office-job, it is their life for a SHORT term and they want every advantage to make most of it while they can, so appropriate comparison would be 'do you take a job based on the amount of hours you work, the amount of advantages you get like better training, a laptop supplied, a phone, a gym, a daycare for kids etc..etc

its also largely about convenience! Modern footballers want not only to aforementioned point on facilities: top-grade nutrition and equipment, recovery technology, and most of all -- work/life balance, it is extremely important to them, so asking players to join US when they can join a club with better facilities AND get 6-8hrs a week back in their time-poor lives is just putting the blinkers on...

Leo, my point was that people in every day life do indeed factor in the location, the convenience of travel to, the standard of physical facilities etc when making choices about employment.

AFL footballers will do the same. To think you can have substandard facilities and attract top line trade talent is naive. Especially as in recent years some clubs have built new facilities and some clubs have revamped old facilities.

I recently moved to brand new, modern offices (never occupied previously), quality facilities in a great location and it played a factor in me staying in my current role rather than actively seeking a new position elsewhere.

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1

8 minutes ago, No. 31 said:

AFL footballers will do the same. To think you can have substandard facilities and attract top line trade talent is naive. 

Chris Judd’s tour of our training facilities at Junction Oval readily springs to mind!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, FreedFromDesire said:

I, and others, have gone as far as to say previously that we had heard the key stakeholders in the negotiations had made it clear they did not want Roffey involved at all and would not deal with her. 

Not what I heard from people closely involved in negotiations. I’ve heard the contrary which I suppose just goes to show that people looking at things, sometimes see them from the perspective of their own agendas.

Edited by Pink Freud
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 2

12 minutes ago, Pink Freud said:

Not what I heard from people closely involved in negotiations. I’ve heard the contrary which I suppose just goes to show that people looking at things, sometimes see them from the perspective of their own agendas.

That's fair, and I take you at your word there.

Just to clarify, I have nothing against Roffey at all. I'm happy to sit on the fence and recognize the good she did, the challenges she had, and the areas where it seemed she did not do well. Merely passing on things I've heard along the way - not personally involved at all and not one who is 'connected' as such. I certainly have no anti-Roffey agenda of any sort.

My post was to point out, it seems the same narrative and information has come from various posters here now, so it does seem to have some credibility, as far as that goes on the internet of course. These things can often be not as black and white as can be made to appear, and more complex that can be expanded upon in this form.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, FreedFromDesire said:

That's fair, and I take you at your word there.

Just to clarify, I have nothing against Roffey at all. I'm happy to sit on the fence and recognize the good she did, the challenges she had, and the areas where it seemed she did not do well. Merely passing on things I've heard along the way - not personally involved at all and not one who is 'connected' as such. I certainly have no anti-Roffey agenda of any sort.

My post was to point out, it seems the same narrative and information has come from various posters here now, so it does seem to have some credibility, as far as that goes on the internet of course. These things can often be not as black and white as can be made to appear, and more complex that can be expanded upon in this form.

If there’s a positive announcement tomorrow then perhaps we might be better enlightened as to the roles of those involved. Let’s wait and see.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, The Great Pretender said:

If there’s a positive announcement tomorrow then perhaps we might be better enlightened as to the roles of those involved. Let’s wait and see.

Agree TGP when the announcement is finally made I would expect the club to praise those that have lead these negotiations to a successful conclusion and we should be able to draw our own conclusions rather than be guided either way.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, The Great Pretender said:

Perhaps, but I don't think I would be looking to media releases for skeletons in closets. I would hope, and expect, that Kate would be thanked for her contribution no matter what the inside story was either way.

• Like 3

Whilst waiting for page 184 and the news to drop tomorrow I just wanted to touch on some historical points about MFC, MCC & MCG (because I am a bit of a history nerd 🤓) raised in the last few pages in this thread.

Whilst the Dees are inextricably linked to the MCC and MCG there are some myths prevalent about this.

Melbourne Football Club was not founded by the MCC but rather some MCC members founded a football club. The formal link between the MCC and MFC was inked in 1890, some 31-32 years after MFC was established.

The MCG was not the Dees first main ground. Whilst a few matches were played here and there at the MCG itself, MFC had its own ground next to the MCG which was nicknamed the 'Gravel Pit'. In 1885 another ground was established where Olympic Park (now Collingwood's training oval) used to be and this was called the Friendly Societies Ground.

Also in 1885-1890 period the main football tenant of the MCG was actually Carlton. Technically the Blues are first football tenant of the MCG.

In 1890 when the MCC formally incorporated MFC as its football component then the MCG became the Dees main homeground and the Dees the main footballing tenant of the MCG.

Yes, ideally the Dees should have developed the Olympic Park site but Collingwood muscled their way into that [and other factors ... can't change that outcome now].

Now, MFC have an opportunity to get a home base in Caulfield which is inside their old historic recruiting zone where they do have supporters who reside nearby and hopefully this comes to fruition.

Looking forward to some positive news tomorrow ... 😊

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, No. 31 said:

Leo, my point was that people ineverydayy life do indeed factor in the location, the convenience of travel to, the standard of physical facilitie, etc,  when making choices about employment.

AFL footballers will do the same. To think you can have substandard facilities and attract top line trade talent is naive. Especially as in recent years some clubs have built new facilities and some clubs have revamped old facilities.

I recently moved to brand new, modern offices (never occupied previously), quality facilities in a great location and it played a factor in me staying in my current role rather than actively seeking a new position elsewhere.

There is only about 800 players playing in the AFL, so there is a big difference between your job and theirs so no comparison, as for facilities ours are pretty good overall players want to play for successful sides not where it is.

• Like 1