WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - HARLEY BENNELL

Tinks

15 hours ago, binman said:

Oh and on that clip, had to laugh with the final comment from Derwayne - "forget the icing on the cake, that is the caviar'.

What?

Haha sorry @chook fowler that was a bit of a riff on this discussion, in relation to the video showing some of Harley's highlights. 

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

Neither really.  I just noted that you've mentioned that you've had inside mail a bit this trade period and was interested in your strike rate.  If it's been good then you're someone to look out for, like Chook in Perth, in the future. 

If your strike rate was poor then it's the opposite.  Not a dig at all.

I can't be bothered actually looking though.  Would take too much time.

His mail is good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demons11 said:

My mail is Bennell wants to come pending some further investigation into his injuries.  The ops he has had and rehab required means he won’t be available until mid way through the season.

Thanks for sharing D11. 

if it’s right or wrong time will tell but some of us appreciate info u get and pass on. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, brendan said:

How do you know he lacks the passion to play footy? 

I don't obviously.  should have added imo at the end there.

it will be 5 years since he played consistent footy. barring the most ridiculous run of luck with injuries I find it unlikely that injuries are his only problem. I am implying/wondering if he has done everything to recover/rehab over the last 5 years.  showing 'passion' now seems to be me like he wants a contract as the gravy train is about to run out.  I hope I am wrong but I would be astounded if he put 5 decent games together

5 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

“Getting a third opportunity at the highest level would be life-changing for myself and my partner and my family – it would be the luckiest thing. It would mean a lot to me and my family  

This coming from Bennell is huge imo. 

He is highly motivated to get back on the track and that is a great thing to have in a player  

Lets  hope we get him and he gets on the park and performs out of his skin.

Would be a great win for us  

5 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

“I just think I’ve still got a lot more in the tank. I’ve come this far and I’m not going to give up, just because of my latest injury. I’m not a person who will just chuck the towel in and give up.

“I love training and I love football. Without football, who knows where I’ll be?

“Getting a third opportunity at the highest level would be life-changing for myself and my partner and my family – it would be the luckiest thing. It would mean a lot to me and my family.”

I’m pretty convinced he means all of that. He’s got very different, very real priorities now. And I’d say a much healthier perspective. 

You might be convinced but I am not. I agree it seems genuine that he wants a contract for his family so he can get massages and train and live a comfortable life. is he driven to play and succeed? not getting on the park for almost 5 years tells the real story

Freo took a risk on him years ago with his off field issues.  it was a miserable failure.  I understand there is not much risk for us but I do not get the excitment around this potential acquistion.  let him train with Viney for a month over preaseason and maybe ill be convinced

5 hours ago, binman said:

Life changing is the key comment. 

No "injury" is.

But, If he comes to us, along with Langdon and Tomlinson, it will help arrest a possible membership decline.

It will create some excitement among the fans and the players, which is good.

It will be a club positive.

What will temper that during the year, will be if he can't overcome the injuries. But as a few have said, what will we lose, very little.

TBH I am as excited about him coming to us as I was with Guy Walker as I expected nothing. Actually that is what we got. This bloke however can have an impact as I said above though.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, DubDee said:

You might be convinced but I am not. I agree it seems genuine that he wants a contract for his family so he can get massages and train and live a comfortable life. is he driven to play and succeed? not getting on the park for almost 5 years tells the real story

Freo took a risk on him years ago with his off field issues.  it was a miserable failure.  I understand there is not much risk for us but I do not get the excitment around this potential acquistion.  let him train with Viney for a month over preaseason and maybe ill be convinced

I think it’s fair to say his continued injuries exacerbated his poor off field choices which in-turn restricted his rehabilitation responsibilities. A viscous cycle no doubt. 

Like him, I can envisage a clean slate for him if this surgery works.   

• Like 2

I think it might encourage other star players to come to us because I think it shows that we are a club who are willing to give a player another chance.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cheney said:

Massive risk with huge reward. At the end of the day we need to back our medicos and coaches to make a decision. Bennell could influence the decision of Jack Martin. Imagine both of those boys fit and firing in our forward line. 

11 years between posts, that has to be some sort of record?! I also thought it was a massive risk when the situation was initially reported, I did some thinking and now think it’s a relatively low risk, there’s 44 players on a list and we’ve already delisted a number of injury prone ones. I’m happy we’re looking at doing something un-Melbourne like. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cheney said:

Massive risk with huge reward. At the end of the day we need to back our medicos and coaches to make a decision. Bennell could influence the decision of Jack Martin. Imagine both of those boys fit and firing in our forward line. 

Would'nt that be great. Blue sky for me. 

If that came to pass imagine the effect on memberships. This in my mind after a disastrous 2019 season we need to project excitement for 2020.

47 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

11 years between posts, that has to be some sort of record?! I also thought it was a massive risk when the situation was initially reported, I did some thinking and now think it’s a relatively low risk, there’s 44 players on a list and we’ve already delisted a number of injury prone ones. I’m happy we’re looking at doing something un-Melbourne like. 

Now I know who Harrow was based on 

47 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Think you will find that this posters former name was "Basil"

2 hours ago, DubDee said:

I don't obviously.  should have added imo at the end there.

it will be 5 years since he played consistent footy. barring the most ridiculous run of luck with injuries I find it unlikely that injuries are his only problem. I am implying/wondering if he has done everything to recover/rehab over the last 5 years.  showing 'passion' now seems to be me like he wants a contract as the gravy train is about to run out.  I hope I am wrong but I would be astounded if he put 5 decent games together

It would pay to consider the dedication of Harley to be permentantly in rehab for 5 years.

It is a dark, lonely place, where there is no reward until you get on the back. It is an isolating place. I would argue that his willingness to pursue this after 5 years, shows more passion, than someone who has being operating injury free.

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

No "injury" is.

But, If he comes to us, along with Langdon and Tomlinson, it will help arrest a possible membership decline.

It will create some excitement among the fans and the players, which is good.

It will be a club positive.

What will temper that during the year, will be if he can't overcome the injuries. But as a few have said, what will we lose, very little.

TBH I am as excited about him coming to us as I was with Guy Walker as I expected nothing. Actually that is what we got. This bloke however can have an impact as I said above though.

Very well enunciated.

Please not forget that footy clubs are a business and decisions need to reflect the effect on financial outcomes. Increasing memberships are vital for the overall club success. Excitement for 2020 will bring in new members.

Now you know what I do for a crust