Alex Rance Retires

Dee Zephyr

2 hours ago, Demonland said:

Loosing Cyril and Rance within 12 months must be hard for him.

Bruce was working out at my gym during the week on Tuesday, he did look sad now that I come to think of it. Maybe he knew then. Must say he goes at it much harder than me and is as lean as a whippet. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Leaving the club after announcing his retirement, ready to get his door knock on:

0f27cd19-ebb6-46b2-be5f-9ce400b571cd-jpe

image.gif.e60a2e324512c28c42938fbeb9d463e2.gif

This could  be his new career. After all he was the master flopper on the field.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Was undoubtedly an excellent player and one of the top defenders of the decade.  

The current media meltdown however feels a little disproportionate.  He has always been a media darling and I for the life of me can’t understand why...

Funnily enough, he doesn’t have a good record against the Dees at all.  Second lowest average possessions and 1 of only 5 teams he hasn’t had a Brownlow vote against.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

I don't hate Rance.

Kevin Sheedy and the EFC however ........ 

My hatred is for the dorks myself, Lethal, Dipper, Brereton....87 final loss, 88 GF and on and on. 

• Like 2

Granted. However the bulldust adulation of this base grade self adoring, self obsessed sniper called Rance puts him up there on the hatred stakes. With Matthews, Dipper and Brereton and Scott you always knew you were facing bare-knuckled thugs who would maim you without blinking. Rance was the spoilt pretty boy who lived on pretence and smoke and mirrors. There used to be a saying, Tis better to be blatant than latent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

not sure but I think this thread is starting to smell

As Andy said time to calm it down religiously speaking

Religion is a part of life, and in some people’s cases, a bit too large a part. 

Asking people to not make it “a thing” is unreasonable. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

Religion is a part of life,

so is politics but there's boundaries on a sporting board....

Mind you I will forever support your right to comment on the appropriate forum

PS if you want to see a wonderfully agnostic discussion of a religious theme drop across to the discussion of Harley's golden calves.

Edited by Diamond_Jim

18 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

so is politics but there's boundaries on a sporting board....

Mind you I will forever support your right to comment on the appropriate forum

PS if you want to see a wonderfully agnostic discussion of a religious theme drop across to the discussion of Harley's golden calves.

I hear you. 

It’s just that...have you actually read the stuff Jehovah’s Witnesses believe in??

Anyway, I’m a-gonna drop it already.

Edited by Mel Bourne
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

not sure but I think this thread is starting to smell

As Andy said time to calm it down religiously speaking

Yep great call let’s defame bully harass anyone we like geez but don’t talk about religion even if It is part of Rance’s reasons for retirement but let’s allow everyone else to be attacked - well done

For the record I despise any form of discrimination Or harassment based on prohibited grounds 

22 hours ago, Accepting Mediocrity said:

Our Robbo kicked 7 on Matthew Scarlett one day as well. Name one key defender that never got beaten. 

Robbo kicked seven on Rooke, although one of the goals came via a mark against Scarlett.

23 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Any reason given for the sudden retirement? Has he reinjured his ACL, for example? Although, if I recall correctly, didn't he nearly give the game away mid-career?

He was "called"

21 hours ago, buck_nekkid said:

He's out.  Doesn't matter to me where he is going.  I like that it stitched the Tigers up a bit (it may have changed their drafting and trading strategy), and will cost them some cap.  They will also need to find a long term replacement.  We would be howling if one of our top 4-5 players decided to retire like this.

I also ask how it came to this.  Should Rance have 'surprised' the club like this?  Did he know for a while?  Was it a re-injury?  Did he not like the effort he had to put in?  I imagine if this were a demons player, we would be crying foul relating to player management, connection between club and player and appropriate player monitoring.  The timing is dreadful for them.

A lot like Harry O (though a better player)

20 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I still expect him to be named in the AA side. 

If Brooooce was naming the side both Prancer and Cyrrriill would be permanent members.

2 hours ago, Tony Tea said:

Robbo kicked seven on Rooke, although one of the goals came via a mark against Scarlett.

You're right actually. Thanks for giving me the excuse to watch this to clarify.

I'll stand by my main point though: all key defenders have bad days at some point. Rance got beaten far less than most, and was the most influential defender of the last decade (but I firmly agree with the Demonland "w*nker" consensus).

Edited by Accepting Mediocrity

I don't know that there would be too many on here that wouldn't have loved the option of being able to "retire" when they were 30 - so all credit and best wishes to him. 

Interesting to read where it took many years before it all clicked and he became a good player - 7 years it took before his first AA selection. The description of his early years sounds almost like they could be describing OMAC. We can only hope OMAC turns out half as good.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Neil Crompton said:

I don't know that there would be too many on here that wouldn't have loved the option of being able to "retire" when they were 30 - so all credit and best wishes to him. 

Interesting to read where it took many years before it all clicked and he became a good player - 7 years it took before his first AA selection. The description of his early years sounds almost like they could be describing OMAC. We can only hope OMAC turns out half as good.

You are right, in his first few seasons he copped a lot of criticism and controversy for the way he played. Richmond supporters were angrily demanding why he ever got a game. But I don’t see OMAC if he ever reaches similar heights receiving as much attention. Other than his outstanding play, his controversial onfield antics, wearing his spirituality on his chest and his version of “Elvis has left the building” whilst wearing a flashy white suit, headphones and riding a skateboard shows he is also an attention seeker with ego issues. He and Israel Folau have some similarities. Somehow I believe he enjoys all the lampooning and mockery thrown his way. He knows he’s going to heaven and all his knockers are not.

Edited by america de cali

12 minutes ago, america de cali said:

You are right, in his first few seasons he copped a lot of criticism and controversy for the way he played. Richmond supporters were angrily demanding why he ever got a game. But I don’t see OMAC if he ever reaches similar heights receiving as much attention. Other than his outstanding play, his controversial onfield antics, wearing his spirituality on his chest and his version of “Elvis has left the building” whilst wearing a flashy white suit, headphones whilst riding a skateboard shows he is also an attention seeker with ego issues. He and Israel Folau have some similarities. Somehow I believe he enjoys all the lampooning and mockery thrown his way. He knows he’s going to heaven and all his knockers are not.

He has a shock coming his way. 

• Like 3

"Other than his outstanding play, his controversial onfield antics, wearing his spirituality on his chest and his version of “Elvis has left the building” whilst wearing a flashy white suit, headphones and riding a skateboard shows he is also an attention seeker with ego issues".

I could care less about his off-field stuff - as long as it is legal - I only feel comfortable commenting on his on'field stuff - which, quoting you was "outstanding", combined with a few questionable "antics". Much like Warnie, I never liked his off field antics and ego displays, but I loved watching him bowl.  

I think any opposition player that we love to hate, has done his job well. And good luck in the here-after Mr Rance.