Farewell Sam Frost

Demon Forever

Clarkson is a master.  Frawley has always been a headless chook out of defence.  Hawthorn structure up and work hard to give him an easy option.  Clarko will also throw Frost on the wing and see what comes.  Did Goody try Frosty on the wing so that chaos balls could enter I50 ?  No.  Oppo defenders knew exactly where the pill was going.

But well done Goody for trying Jones and Lewis on the MCG wing earlier in the year.  Absolutely inspiring stuff.  Would need an interpreter to understand Mitch Robinson's piece on being a modern-day wingman.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Wrecker45 said:

Clarkson didn’t sell us Lewis. A three time premiership legend in Lewis chose to come to us.

Clarkson did chase Fitzpatrick though, so that deal is more relevant to your argument.

If any club has played us its Collingwood offloading Lamumba & Dawes and pinching Howe & Dunne.

Fitzy as second ruck, probably nudges out Preuss for mine.  Preuss is no second ruck, despite being able to snag one or two.  He is Tex Walker like with his mobility and turning circle.  Preuss's only hope is a Mumford type primary ruck role.  Full stop.

Another example of going for a slower type, when our deficiency (Roos finally blurted it out last night) is our outside speed deficiency.

Another gross error.

Lewis can provide leadership.  Preuss can be our 2nd ruck.

Yet Saad and co. weren't on our radar....and we let Howe, a bonefide leader in his prime waltz out.  Yes the Howe thing I agree with you 100%.  The simpletons that didn't rate him, I just could never understand.  At Sydney, Roos rarely let gold go, other than his no DH policy.  This was a DH decision.

A point made by @fr_ap on his wonderful thread a little while ago.

"Out of players who have played at least 10 games, Frost and OMac are the two who have cost us the most scores as a % of their turnovers. Frost is ranked 12th in the league (1st = a really bad thing), conceding a score 34% of the time he turns it over, resulting in 17 shots at goal (9 goals 8 ) directly from his turnovers. Omac is ranked 15th in the league, conceding a score 33% of the time. "

I presume in the AFL world, OMAC has zero currency. Frost does have currency, hence the disparate opinions on this thread. 

I for one would happily move Frost on, as irrespective of how dynamic he looks when playing, he still makes horrible turnovers that costs momentum, AND he has currency in the AFL world.

So, I wish him all the best and good luck to him at Hawthorn, he is a liability wherever he plays. 

Edited by Engorged Onion

On 8/12/2019 at 11:53 AM, Lucifer's Hero said:

Frosty is likely to bring in a good draft pick.  So the club may be holding out to trade him or perhaps made him a low ball offer and he is considering his options.

Frosty will be competing with Lever, May, Petty and maybe Oscar for the third tall.  He may get better offers in terms of # senior games, contract length or $.  He deserves to play in a senior side and not just be on the list as depth.  I doubt he will stay on our list and wouldn't blame him if he left. 

I just hope we don't do what we did with Kent:  Offer a 1 year deal and another club offers 3years and we give him up for pick 60 something.  

Bingo!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Engorged Onion said:

A point made by @fr_ap on his wonderful thread a little while ago.

"Out of players who have played at least 10 games, Frost and OMac are the two who have cost us the most scores as a % of their turnovers. Frost is ranked 12th in the league (1st = a really bad thing), conceding a score 34% of the time he turns it over, resulting in 17 shots at goal (9 goals 8 ) directly from his turnovers. Omac is ranked 15th in the league, conceding a score 33% of the time. "

I presume in the AFL world, OMAC has zero currency. Frost does have currency, hence the disparate opinions on this thread. 

I for one would happily move Frost on, as irrespective of how dynamic he looks when playing, he still makes horrible turnovers that costs momentum, AND he has currency in the AFL world.

So, I wish him all the best and good luck to him at Hawthorn, he is a liability wherever he plays. 

To just look at scores from turnovers is a simplistic one sided analysis.  At times this year Frost intercept marking has been huge, he regularly spoils and saves goals that others simply wouldn't. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Slowest team in the world gives up  a fast player who chases and competes

This club has no idea Give him a three year contract for gods' sake

Same club gives momentum killer in ANB a two year contract 

Let me outta here!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gawn's Beard said:

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-11/2019-free-agents-who-will-stay-who-will-go-latest-whispers

Am I missing something, or is Marc McGowan - Sam Frost is no longer listed as being OOC...

That article is only talking about UFA’s and RFA’s, not OOC players. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 2

Do we really believe Frost’s manager saying that the dees believe he’s a required and are still attempting to get him a contract? Surely thats just more driving up of his price at other clubs.

would love him to stay but when was the last time a player was seen touring another clubs facilities and stayed at his club?

For the love of... I can't believe how blinded some people are by Frost's 20m Dash. Sure, it looks cool, but close your eyes for the next passage (as so many of you do), as it'll be going over his head with interest.

While I would like to keep him, if he wants more money than he's worth (and I'm not saying that some aren't on more than they're worth), than it's probably the best time to trade him as his trade value would never be higher at the moment.

Edited by AshleyH30
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Kent said:

Slowest team in the world gives up  a fast player who chases and competes

This club has no idea Give him a three year contract for gods' sake

Same club gives momentum killer in ANB a two year contract 

Let me outta here!

Yes it’s fu$))$)n incredible.  Give him the 3 years he deserves.  Strip the coin elsewhere.  

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

To just look at scores from turnovers is a simplistic one sided analysis.  At times this year Frost intercept marking has been huge, he regularly spoils and saves goals that others simply wouldn't. 

You probably need to do a cost benefit analysis

Turnover to goal conversion

Vs

His gazelle like Top Gun-Maverick control tower buzz runs out of defence that end up in a goal for us

Taking into account his goals saved (intercepts) that do not result in a goal against us anyway say within X # of possessions after he disposes of it after intercepting

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AshleyH30 said:

For the love of... I can't believe how blinded some people are by Frost's 20m Dash. Sure, it looks cool, but close your eyes for the next passage (as so many of you do), as it'll be going over his head with interest.

While I would like to keep him, if he wants more money than he's worth (and I'm not saying that some aren't on more than they're worth), than it's probably the best time to trade him as his value would never be higher at the moment.

Apart Frost taking the ball out of defensive 50, we never look like scoring out of our back half. Dinky kicks from Salem and co. end up running us into just as much trouble as one of Frost’s adventures. Aside from that, his speed allows him to play on the more mobile forwards and even allows him to play smaller if needed.

Yes the offensive side of his game needs some greater control and care, but he is still a good defender. Frost may have looked well truley beaten at times one on one this year, but you can chalk that up to our mids literally just watching their opponents waltz into our forward 50.

Edited by AaronDaveyChipsAndGravey
typo
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Hope he gets a good contract and imo that will be at another afl club. Yes he does turn it over but he also gives 100% every game which can’t be said for some other players imo. oh and he also has speed which as a club we have zero of.   

I don’t blame him at all. If we have offered a low ball contract then we didn’t want him and we are asking him to look elsewhere. Another master stroke by the MFC. 

Good work dees. We have one more spot to go down the ladder next season to achieve the ultimate number 1 pic which is obviously our aim. 

• Like 1

Jake Lever is NOT a KP defender. If we lose Frost, we can expect Oscar McDonald to be relied on again. It'd be a bad move. I can only think that we must have another defender in mind that we hope to bring in. Tomlinson is not a direct replacement for Frost.There'd have to be another tall defender in mind. 

• Like 1

Just now, Leoncelli_36 said:

Jake Lever is NOT a KP defender. If we lose Frost, we can expect Oscar McDonald to be relied on again. It'd be a bad move. I can only think that we must have another defender in mind that we hope to bring in. Tomlinson is not a direct replacement for Frost.There'd have to be another tall defender in mind. 

Omac god no. I know get rid of Omac and give his money to Frosty. Solved. 

• Like 1

The stupidity of this club knows no bounds. Anyone with half a brain could have seen this situation coming from a million miles away.

Step 1: Parachute in two players on massive salaries who, on the rare occasions they are actually fit, arguably make the side worse not better.

Step 2: Make laughably insulting contract offers to players who are actually on the field working their guts out each week.

Step 3: Lose said players to rival clubs for inadequate compensation.

I'd definitely keep Frost before Lever, and probably before May as well given May's age and inability to play 20 games a year. Losing Frost at this point would be a disaster.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AaronDaveyChipsAndGravey said:

Do we really believe Frost’s manager saying that the dees believe he’s a required and are still attempting to get him a contract? Surely thats just more driving up of his price at other clubs.

would love him to stay but when was the last time a player was seen touring another clubs facilities and stayed at his club?

The manager would be right on the basis that Frosty is a required but on MFC terms: contract length/$/position in pecking order re senior selection.  Terms Frosty is reportedly not happy with. 

imv, if he stayed he would become 'depth' as May, Lever and Petty will get games before him.  Can't imagine he would be happy with being 'depth' and rightly so. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

4 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

The pragmatic question is. What don’t the football department see in him going forward. What are the risks that he brings to play? and what is coachable in his attributes? 

Surely that's assuming the footy department knows or has an ability to determine. Something I am beginning to doubt.

12 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The manager would be right on the basis that Frosty is a required but on MFC terms.  Terms Frosty is reportedly not happy with. 

If he stayed he would become 'depth' as May, Lever and Petty will get games before him.  Can't imagine he would be happy with being 'depth' and rightly so.

Can't see how Petty is in front of him, has shown nothing down back to make me think he's part of the best 6 down back. Think the club will develop his forward role this year

• Like 1