Changes vs GW$ Giants

1 hour ago, GCDee said:

Yep we need big Pruessy....

He will kick a bag. 

1 hour ago, Engorged Onion said:

about as likely as those thinking that the next round will be Petracca's break out...

Not if a bag is just 2 goals!!  (our version of a bag!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

Whilst Preuss is a very ordinary footballer, he has the capacity to match Mumford in the intimidation stakes

Agreed. Whilst his skill set may not be silky, he importantly competes very well and at least can bring the long bombs i50 to ground. He won't het pushed out of the contest easily.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

Whilst Preuss is a very ordinary footballer, he has the capacity to match Mumford in the intimidation stakes

That is true. I see Preuss (in support of Gawn) strengthening our greatest asset: Gawn's rucking to feed Clarrie, Brayshaw, Jones and Harmes to feed the forward line. Without some respite, some shorter-term alternative roles for Gawn, he will wear out mid-match. Preuss has a dual role in this function. Firstly, to relieve Gawn of the huge responsibility to last as the key ruckman for a whole game, week in and week out, and secondly, to be a viable target deep forward and thus drawing key opposition defenders away from TMac, Smith, Hannan, Tracca, Garlett, Hunt, plus others when required. He could also be a protector of teammates, a shielding screen, and bring the ball to ground - he is a massive unit to get around, through or over. With the new '6' rule, it may be a legitimate possie for him between rucking tasks - and might also represent a marking and/or clearing role for Gawn down back in 'rest' periods. 

Edited by Deemania since 56
  • Like 2

I love the 'bring Preuss in' argument, but has anyone looked at the weather for Sunday? Is it a day for going in tall. I mean its 16C and rain. I feel as though its not really suited to a big man, such as Presuss. 

I feel if we pick him and we lose because we went too tall, we are going to hear from the 'lost it at the selection table' camp. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

I love the 'bring Preuss in' argument, but has anyone looked at the weather for Sunday? Is it a day for going in tall. I mean its 16C and rain. I feel as though its not really suited to a big man, such as Presuss. 

I feel if we pick him and we lose because we went too tall, we are going to hear from the 'lost it at the selection table' camp. 

They do have form L36.

IMO If we had played him in the first game of the year we would have won that game.

The bouncing Gawn all around the park that day would have been stopped.

33 minutes ago, old dee said:

They do have form L36.

IMO If we had played him in the first game of the year we would have won that game.

Completely agree. It was a fine day and Braydon had shown good form against Collingwood in one of the few practice matches we played well in. 

However, the conditions were very different on that day. He would have been perfect. I don't know whether this week will help him. But, if you are suggesting that we actually grow a pair and target opposition and try and gain an advantage, then I am all for it.

I am assuming his selection will be largely dependent on the availability of Tim Smith. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

True.  The lost at Selection folks were at it this time last week, but we would have been poorer if Pruess played against WC imo.

Cameron is saying GWS are considering an additional ruck but probably mind games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old dee said:

They do have form L36.

His form in the preseason game (I think against Brisbane) was poor. He didn't deserve a game.

Edited by SPC
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tough Kent said:

ANB got a knock to the head whilst training down at Casey this morning. He won’t play on Sunday.

He is good mates with Billy Stretch and probably just helped him keep his spot.. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Tough Kent said:

ANB got a knock to the head whilst training down at Casey this morning. He won’t play on Sunday.

FFS

48 minutes ago, Tough Kent said:

I'm finding it very difficult to remain positive.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joeboy said:

Easy to say after the event that the game was lost at the selection table

This “easy in hindsight” argument really annoys me when you have a group of people/coaches on between $200 & $700k who spend so long in the company of the Players and they still get it wrong far too often. 

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, goodwindees said:

This “easy in hindsight” argument really annoys me when you have a group of people/coaches on between $200 & $700k who spend so long in the company of the Players and they still get it wrong far too often. 

ergo...9 clubs get it wrong, 23 weeks a year?

3 hours ago, goodwindees said:

More games lost at Selection by the Dees over the last 2 years than by Umpire mistakes. 

Hindsight bias in action.

Also confirmation bias, because you're ignoring the games that were won at selection - which is the majority of them.

In: Lewis, Spargo, Preuss, Weideman, Wagner

Out: Neal-Bullen

Now that the teams are in, let's take the discussion over to the pre-game thread so we don't have two separate conversations going.

I've moved those posts over to here:

Edited by Grapeviney
  • Like 2