Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The 2019 Draft and Trade Targets Thread

Nascent

On 4/25/2019 at 9:26 AM, Nascent said:

Well, 2019 is proper boned.

Can't believe that the draft will become more relevant than September this year. At least we'll actually have a 1st rounder to use.

Draft:

Matthew Rowell

Noah Anderson

Other top 5-10 suggestions..?

Trade/FA:

The dream but won't happen.... Coniglio

Would also love Fiorini from sun's or Florant from swans but probably not worth speculating over.

Other slightly less unrealistic options that are either out of contract or not getting a good run at it...

Zac Jones

Ed Langdon 

Lewis Taylor

Matthew ling

Nakia Cockatoo 

Shai Bolton 

Darcy Parish

Jayden Laverde 

Jack Martin 

Brayden Sier

Any half decent small forwards available?

P.s. I'm not advocating that all these players would be a good fit at mfc.

Was looking forward to this season for 5 months, ugh...

On 4/25/2019 at 10:32 AM, whatwhatsaywhat said:

Parish is more an insider than an outsider, and Lewis Taylor is very vanilla 

Throw every spare cent we have at Coniglio as a free agent 

Get Ed Langdon as a trade for our (unexpectedly high) third rounder

Draft Rowell with pick 1

Begin again 

On 4/25/2019 at 5:12 PM, TRIGON said:

As much as many fans are upset with our forward and backline's performance, I still think our priority should be to up-skill our mids in order to provide both better delivery and 2-way running. So yes, go hard on Coniglio. Should we have pick 1 (shudder) then by all means draft Rowell and offer 2nd round draft pick for Ed Langdon (can't see 3rd round getting it done). 

On 4/25/2019 at 8:19 PM, RalphiusMaximus said:

Obviously we're going to end up with a solid first round pick.  We need to grab someone with pace and skill.  Having seen him against Casey I agree with Rowell if we manage to finish last. 

For trading and other, obviously I'd love Coniglio and/or Martin.  I've said that many times and I maintain that they would both be great additions.  Sadly I don't see us getting either of them.  GWS will re-sign Coniglio and Martin is going to wind up a Hawk (I have no evidence to base this on, but I've seen Clarkson having a chat to Martin on the sidelines more than once during Hawks/Suns games). 

I'd also like to throw Tim O'Brien into the ring.  We've seen what he can do when he ripped us apart last year.  He's been patchy and can't force his way into the Hawks' senior side, but he runs all day and takes contested marks.  We need both of those attributes.  I'm betting we could get him fairly cheaply from the Hawks if he said he wanted to jump. 

Funny you should say that.  Nathan Freeman is playing for Frankston this year in the hopes of re-starting his career.  He's been getting some very big numbers down there (Aside from last weekend).  He's an inside mid who has a bit of pace and a very nice boot.  Former top ten pick who spent time in Collingwood's system.  I'd spend a rookie spot on him in a heartbeat if he manages to stay healthy through the season. 

Coniglio?

We need class and finish regardless of who the player is.  We aren't sitting at the top of the turnover king ladder by accident...

Career Disposal Efficiency 67.4% (not super ugly but not great either)

Career Kicking Efficiency 55.2% (bog ordinary).  There is a much maligned MFC player, who while not playing as a genuine mid fielder, spends a bit of time through there on occasions.  His 'career' kicking efficiency is better than Coniglio's!  Overall disposal efficiency (with handball included) only slightly worse.  Slightly worse than Coniglio this season so far though on both counts, having a really poor season till now (results reflective).  Why would we want similar or worse kicking efficiency?

Coniglio's results even worse so far this season...

DE 60.1% (ordinary)

KE 48.6% (worse than bog ordinary!)

Red light for mine.

Edited by Rusty Nails

Coniglio will cost too much forget it. Our go now is to look for value in the market not blue chip stock which we can’t afford. Patton 700k + Jack Martin 700k is smarter trading than $1.2m for Coniglio. 

Taranto is better than Coniglio btw.

Edited by Matsuo Basho

1 minute ago, Dr.D said:

surely we've learnt our lesson the last 2 drafts from throwing away first round picks. FFS! some people seriously never learn. There's no way in hell we will throw away our first rounder. No chance. 

I think there is literally 'no way in hell' as the AFL rules dictate that we have to use a first round pick this year, don't they..?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roger Mellie said:

Also weren't we saddled with a couple of years of Watts' contract (a chunk of it, that is)? That should finish this year too.

...still, he must be swimming int it ?

We surely will be freed up a lot of cap space this year,  hopefully.

43 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Simple, isn't it?

Cogniglio is having a ripping year. He'll be top 5 in the comp by end of year

Absolutely. If we want him we’ll make it happen, I don’t know why supporters concern themselves about salary cap. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Simple, isn't it?

Cogniglio is having a ripping year. He'll be top 5 in the comp by end of year

He's having in incredible year and, on form, would be our best player this season.

Averaging 30 disposal and has already kicked 8 goals in six matches.

Even if we didn't have room in the cap, if a player of his quality wanted to come to us, you make room.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matsuo Basho said:

Coniglio will cost too much forget it. Our go now is to look for value in the market not blue chip stock which we can’t afford. Patton 700k + Jack Martin 700k is smarter trading than $1.2m for Coniglio. 

Taranto is better than Coniglio btw.

Taranto can't kick, would be right at home in our midfield.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Watts the matter said:

Taranto can't kick, would be right at home in our midfield.

Disposal efficiency (64%) higher than Coniglio (61%). Plus more clearances and more tackles. 

Regardless, neither are the type of midfielder we urgently need. We’ve got the grunt, lack the silk.

Edited by Matsuo Basho

2 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

He's having in incredible year and, on form, would be our best player this season.

Averaging 30 disposal and has already kicked 8 goals in six matches.

Even if we didn't have room in the cap, if a player of his quality wanted to come to us, you make room.

Actually I forgot Coniglio was their main guy who stood out against us last year and had an outstanding game in a losing side.

Change of heart....I'm on board! ?????

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My three Disneyland targets for a future Demon Demolition and threepeat 2020 / 21/ 22 are...

Tim Kelley

Stephen Coniglio

Jeremy Cameron

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

My three Disneyland targets for a future Demon Demolition and threepeat 2020 / 21/ 22 are...

Tim Kelley

Stephen Coniglio

Jeremy Cameron

Let me guess RN you are in fanasty land?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, old dee said:

Let me guess RN you are in fanasty land?

Who was it that said "dream big" OD?  The other I seem to recall was "reach for the stars".

The MFC has to do something insanely out of the norm (for us) IMO if we are ever to get the ultimate prize and break the AFL's longest drought.

Then again i have a much greater chance that the admins will rename this site 'FantasyLand' if they see my last post!

Any love for Ben Keays at the Lions? Drafted as a mid but hasn't put it together, but now racking up goals in the NEAFL after a shift up forward. Lays a tackle so the defensive pressure is there also.

He is a local lad though so might be hard to convince a move is the go, although if he's not getting senior game time. Is he worth a look?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Tim Kelley

Stephen Coniglio

Jeremy Cameron

We're the Greater Western Melbourne Demons, and we're bigger than the rest and we will never surrender we'll fight until the end, we're greater than the restttttt da da da daaaa dada

Edited by John Demonic
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

We're the Greater Western Melbourne Demons, and we're bigger than the rest and we will never surrender we'll fight until the end, we're greater than the restttttt da da da daaaa dada

Possibly the worst theme song I've ever encountered JD... whoever wrote it must have been watching a ringmaster entering the tent from the cheap seats.  I chuckle every time i hear it.

Edited by Rusty Nails

3 hours ago, Matsuo Basho said:

Disposal efficiency (64%) higher than Coniglio (61%). Plus more clearances and more tackles. 

Regardless, neither are the type of midfielder we urgently need. We’ve got the grunt, lack the silk.

Use your eyes mate, DE is an overrated stat. Coniglio is a significantly better kick and provides significantly more run and carry. 

Tarranto is good in the contest but an extremely poor user of the footy. The last player we need in our midfield as you have rightly said.

• Like 1

you know who wouldve been good for us? gary Rohan. all these demonland experts laughed it off.  Now he is arguably the recruit of the year.

why wouldn't we look at someone who has pure speed beats me. the lists shortcomings were obvious before the season started 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

you know who wouldve been good for us? gary Rohan. all these demonland experts laughed it off.  Now he is arguably the recruit of the year.

why wouldn't we look at someone who has pure speed beats me. the lists shortcomings were obvious before the season started 

He wouldn't be playing in the same form with us then he is now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Possibly the worst theme song I've ever encountered JD... whoever wrote it must have been watching a ringmaster entering the tent from the cheap seats.  I chuckle every time i hear it.

I like it. One of the guys from The Cat Empire wrote it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BAMF said:

I like it. One of the guys from The Cat Empire wrote it.

Each to their own BAMF. Some of my all time fav bands have also written some shockers along the way.  May have given the task to the wrong member!

• Like 1