Changes v Essendon

WERRIDEE

11 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Our lack of depth has been exposed when your scraping the barrel with the Wagner brothers, Stretch, Keilty etc...

Missing our forward role players such as VDB, Hannan and Garlett (yes I concede he fell out of our best 22) who all know where the sticks are. No wonder our forward line is a shambles.

Since you’re bringing up Garlett, Ben Guthrie tweeting Jeffy is close to playing. Joined full training this morning after some testing of the shoulder. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Since you’re bringing up Garlett, Ben Guthrie tweeting Jeffy is close to playing. Joined full training this morning after some testing of the shoulder. 

We need a fit and firing jeffy back in the side.

1 hour ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I forget how many times we were outnumbered 2 or 3 to 4 or 5 - that goal Tomahawk handballed back was the epitome of that.

Not really. Everyone was at our end because Trac had the ball on the wing.

Trac passed it poorly to Jones who had Clark get the sit and mark over him and then ran on to a forward line that had only one player there Hawkins.

He then had all the time in the world to wait for Clark to run into the goal square, after first giving off the handball and then receiving it back.

There was not a single Demon any where near the Geelong goal.

It doesn't happen if Trac did a good pass or kicked to our half forward.

We have a bad habit of doing that.

I go back to the problems I have seen with our side for years, which to my mind haven't been remedied: lack of pacy mids and forwards and better skilled players.

Despite our finals last year, I still think we are slow and poorly skilled.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, binman said:

It will be interesting to see what they do if Jeffy is available this weekend. Mr Guthrie thinks he’s some chance but more likely returning through VFL.

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Like 1

whoops, meant lockhart stays in...

IN: stretch, c wagner, keilty
OUT:  may, anb, sparrow

B: Jetta - Frost - Hibberd
HB: Salem - O Mac - Kolodjashnij
? Jones - Brayshaw - Viney
HF: Fritsch - T Mac - Hunt
F: Lockhart - Weideman - Melksham
Foll: Gawn - Oliver - Harmes
I/c: Petracca - Stretch - C Wagner - Keilty
Emerg: Spargo - Preuss - Neal-Bullen - Petty

unavailable thru injury: may, lewis, lever, hannan, vandenberg, kennedy harris, garlett, j smith

in answer to the query as who plays sweeper, i think it'll rotate btw jones, kk, fritsch, and hunt, which is what would seem to be happening against the cats too

16 hours ago, ignition. said:

For the love of .... just get rid of Oscar McDonald

Also put Preuss in the team.

This post is absolutely correct; add Stretch and some matching-Essendrug run (Spargo) and we will be set for our first win. Frosty to CHB and TMac to FBack. Get Fritta onto the fwd line to lead out, with Hunt doing the same. Warn Jones and Clarrie not to bomb. 

• Like 1

Id be bringing Jeffy straight back in if he gets through tests, fitness wont be an issue.. he is the player that we need in our F50 right now.. dangerous and gets in right spaces and takes a good small defender to mind him, he is a legit nother threat inside 50 which will help theothers. You play him, you say.. don ot go outsid eteh 50.

In: Jeff / Stetch

Out: Sparrow May

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

unavailable thru injury: may, lewis, lever, hannan, vandenberg, kennedy harris, garlett, j smith

in answer to the query as who plays sweeper, i think it'll rotate btw jones, kk, fritsch, and hunt, which is what would seem to be happening against the cats too

Keilty and Billy could not do any worse than May last week and ANB both weeks and at this stage Corey Wagner is a better player than Sparrow, so if you were correct that would be an improvement. 

Keilty would give Max a chop out and could also go forward or back and at the same time would allow Tom and Sam to stay forward.

Billy's pace and disposal is far superior to ANB's. I noticed that last week not only did he have 3 effective possies, but his tackles didn't stick and he was involved in many of our turnovers.

KK and Trac will improve with game time, both coming off injuries.

• Like 2

Jeffy knows where the goals are.

We are desperate for goal kickers.

If fit he is in for mine.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I go back to the problems I have seen with our side for years, which to my mind haven't been remedied: lack of pacy mids and forwards and better skilled players.

Despite our finals last year, I still think we are slow and poorly skilled.

100% agree on both points. 

Our lack of pace has been really exposed by the game style favoured by west Coast and this year Collingwood. Our lack of fitness hasn't helped either.

Add poor skills across the board to a lcak of pace and unfit players and you get the results we have got.

As you say poor skills has been an issue for a long time. And under Roos and Goody we have not looked to address it with our trading and drafting. I understand why in so far as their emphasis of competitive ball winners but that decision has a real opportunity cost. 

I'm not against Jeffy coming in if he's ready.  He got injured in the first JLT game so he's done all of the pre-season work, plus he is an experienced player to go into the forward line.

At any rate, he can't do any worse than an ANB. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, binman said:

It's the 'firing' part that worries me binman. After his pea hearted performances last year, it would be a wonderful bonus if Jeffy hit form. Won't hold my breath, but I hope he does

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

It's the 'firing' part that worries me binman. After his pea hearted performances last year, it would be a wonderful bonus if Jeffy hit form. Won't hold my breath, but I hope he does

I feel the same way, Moonie.  The bloke can kick goals, but he isn't exactly the hardest working small forward in the business, which is something we pride ourselves on.

I'd love him to find some good form, as we desperately need it, but I'm not convinced just yet.

Having said that, as I said above, he can't do any worse than what someone like ANB is currently bringing to the table.

30 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

This, has been out of form for a loooong time.

14 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

They should look at Preuss bazaar that they recruit him to play in the VFL. They must really want a Casey premiership.

C.Wagner form is too good to not get picked.

Spargo is way off a recall with what I saw.

Don't be surprised to see J.Wagner in the side adds hardness which we have been lacking.

Adds run from the back, is what he brings to us. carry.

I'd play Salem and KK on the wings,  with instruction to push back and help out defence, bringing the ball forward from there. start them defensive side of the square.

Start Jones in defence. leadership.

2 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

Right now, for whatever reason, the bolded aren't the equal of their equivalent players in other top 6 teams.

It's pretty hard to win games of footy with 9 ordinary players.  And others not in bold are also not in good form.

16 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Right now, for whatever reason, the bolded aren't the equal of their equivalent players in other top 6 teams.

It's pretty hard to win games of footy with 9 ordinary players.  And others not in bold are also not in good form.

i think, right now, you could add to that lot...

B: Jetta - Frost - Hibberd
HB: Salem - O Mac - Kolodjashnij
? Jones - Brayshaw - Viney
HF: Fritsch - T Mac - Hunt
F: Lockhart - Weideman - Melksham
I/c: Petracca - Stretch - C Wagner - Keilty

it's not JUST that we're not fit as a team, it's that our fit players are in horrendous form

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

i think, right now, you could add to that lot...

B: Jetta - Frost - Hibberd
HB: Salem - O Mac - Kolodjashnij
? Jones - Brayshaw - Viney
HF: Fritsch - T Mac - Hunt
F: Lockhart - Weideman - Melksham
I/c: Petracca - Stretch - C Wagner - Keilty

it's not JUST that we're not fit as a team, it's that our fit players are in horrendous form

Did you miss me say, "'And others not in bold are also not in good form'' ?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1