Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes v Essendon

WERRIDEE

3 hours ago, ignition. said:

For the love of .... just get rid of Oscar McDonald

Also put Preuss in the team.

Yes OMac was the problem....not! By the time the sling shots got down his end he was either out numbered or the ball was flying over his head. We are not dealing with the deficiecies of individuals but rather a big game plan problem in my opinion. This is a rerun of last season where we played dumb footy, I likened us at the time in boxing terms as Rocky Balboa trying to slug our way to victory. It intimidated some of the bottom teams by sheer force but we got taken apart by teams that had a bit of talent and a sophisticated, adaptable game plan, e.g. boxing ability. Example early on the Hawks and Swans worked us over big time. Somehow we worked through this to become a force. It seems to me we have regressed to last year for some reason. 

Edited by Earl Hood
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Fritsch hasn't responded well to last year's omission from the prelim.

Either he's down on form (like 75% of our side) or the recruiters were justified in overlooking him in earlier drafts.

Yep too laconic and when he had a shot on goal early elected to STEP SIDEWAYS and kick around the corner!!

Nup too fancy for mine dropping in Prelim totally justified!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Earl Hood said:

Yes OMac was the problem....not! By the time the sling shots got down his end he was either out numbered or the ball was flying over his head. We are not dealing with the deficiecies of individuals but rather a big game plan problem in my opinion. This is a rerun of last season where we played dumb footy, I likened us at the time in boxing terms as Rocky Balboa trying to slug our way to victory. It intimidated some of the bottom teams by sheer force but we got taken apart by teams that had a bit of talent and a sophisticated, adaptable game plan, e.g. boxing ability. Example early on the Hawks and Swans worked us over big time. Somehow we worked through this to become a force. It seems to me we have regressed to last year for some reason. 

Yeah that was the most disappointing aspect of Saturday night for me. Regression back to bombing it in all night long.....

Exactly the same as early last year.

5 hours ago, doug williams said:

The voice of reason!

Really looking forward to seeing Keilty included. he can go forward too I think.

They should look at Preuss bazaar that they recruit him to play in the VFL. They must really want a Casey premiership.

C.Wagner form is too good to not get picked.

Spargo is way off a recall with what I saw.

Don't be surprised to see J.Wagner in the side adds hardness which we have been lacking.

44 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

May is out injured.

Who do we play on Joe Daniher?  He could kick 12

gonna be difficult from the stands seeing as he's yet more weeks out injured...

the real dangers in their forward line are orazio fantasia (0.4 against the aints) and jake stringer (1 goal 2) - my biggest concern is that our ideal match-ups for them - jetta and hibberd - are in atrocious form

if mitch brown (frost) or shaun mckernan (o mac) get a hold of us we are in big, big trouble

IN: stretch, c wagner, keilty
OUT:  may, anb, sparrow

B: Jetta - Frost - Hibberd
HB: Salem - O Mac - Kolodjashnij
? Jones - Brayshaw - Viney
HF: Fritsch - T Mac - Hunt
F: Keilty - Weideman - Melksham
Foll: Gawn - Oliver - Harmes
I/c: Petracca - Stretch - C Wagner - Keilty
Emerg: Spargo - Preuss - Neal-Bullen - Petty

unavailable thru injury: may, lewis, lever, hannan, vandenberg, kennedy harris, garlett, j smith

Out:  KK , May, Lockhart, Sparrow (apart from Lockhart's first goal which was great, none of these four gave a yelp...albeit May was probably done early)

In:.  Stretch , C Wagner,  J Wagner , Pruess / Spargo?

7 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

the real dangers in their forward line are orazio fantasia (0.4 against the aints) and jake stringer (1 goal 2) - my biggest concern is that our ideal match-ups for them - jetta and hibberd - are in atrocious form

if mitch brown (frost) or shaun mckernan (o mac) get a hold of us we are in big, big trouble

unavailable thru injury: may, lewis, lever, hannan, vandenberg, kennedy harris, garlett, j smith

I'm curious, who is our intercept defender with no Lever? Last year we needed Fritsch there and then Gawn dropping back.

Edited by John Demonic

7 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

I think Keilty is good but he is not good enough to play two positions at once, and i’d Rather go in with 22 men than 21.

i think you left out Lockhart

• Like 1

8 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

Thats a relief...thought he was back.  I try to block out all things Essendon.

Unfortunately I did just realize the game is at the MCG and not at Etihad, our new happy hunting ground.

Nevertheless,  Dees by 57 this week.

14 hours ago, poita said:

May never played close to a full season at Gold Coast. For all his problems, even Hogan has been more durable than May, but hey we'll still throw truckloads of money at anyone who'll return our calls.

As for Lever ...?

Wrong. May averages 15.5 games per season, Hogan 14.2

Last 2 years  May 35 Hogan 30

Last 3 years May 52 Hogan 51

1 hour ago, Petraccattack said:

Thats a relief...thought he was back.  I try to block out all things Essendon.

Unfortunately I did just realize the game is at the MCG and not at Etihad, our new happy hunting ground.

Nevertheless,  Dees by 57 this week.

They might get hooker back, might throw him orf hurly forward. I still dont think we bring in a kpd for may with out dropping one of frost or o mac

14 hours ago, ignition. said:

For the love of .... just get rid of Oscar McDonald

Also put Preuss in the team.

Agree

outs. Omcd Anb sparrow may(inj)

ins. Stretch Preuss Petty Wagner-c

jetta Petty Hibberd 

salem Frost Hunt 

brayshaw viney Stretch 

trac tmcd Melksham 

c-Wagner Weid Fritsch 

gawn Harmes oliver

lockhart Preuss jones kk

jones and Fritsch stay in only just!!

No huge changes, need to focus on playing our best 22 fit players.

Out: May (inj), Lockhart, Sparrow

In: Stretch, Keilty, C.Wagner

---------------

FB: Jetta - Oscar - Hibberd

HB: Salem - Frost - Hunt

C : Fritsch - Oliver - KK

HF: Melk - T-Mac - Trac

FF: Keilty - Weid - C.Wagner

R: Gawn - Harmes - Brayshaw

I: Viney - Jones - Stretch - ANB

E: Lockhart - Preuss - Petty - Sparrow

Anyone calling for Frost to be dropped has got rocks in their head as far as I'm concerned.

Whilst I haven't watched the game again with a completely calm mind since Saturday, I thought he was our best key position back by a long way.  Was good one on one, picked his times well when to leave his man to make another contest, provided good run without over extending himself (and getting caught) and played within his capability to hit good targets by foot.  He also applied some good spoils on the last lines of defense.

Comparitively I found Steven May somewhat underwhelming, even before he came off injured (was May carrying something all along?  Who knows).  I'm sure there were some times when Frost got caught out in no-mans-land, but I don't think he can be responsible for that when we played such poor team defense.  Our mids had a feild day offensively and in tight, but our two way running was woeful.  I forget how many times we were outnumbered 2 or 3 to 4 or 5 - that goal Tomahawk handballed back was the epitome of that.

• Like 3

The guy whow is available that would really like to see in the side that is Petty.  He has competed well and looked sound defensively and good offensively as well.

But I don't think now is the time to bring him in.  I think we need to give the core of the side time to settle and build cohesion and cofidence otherwise we are just making it hard for the rest of the guys that are in there to find any system if key personal keep changing.  Rightly or not, I get the impression that Oscar is seen as a bit of a general in the backline, so taking him out of that when we are somewhat in chaos could be a recipe for disaster.  Added to that it wouldn't be great for Petty's confidence and development to be bought into a side under siege.

I'd give it another few weeks and hopefully once we get rolling more again, I recon we could even bring in Petty as the third tall option (depending on how long May is out for) and let each of our key backs make their case for a continued spot in the side from there.  I wouldn't be averse to bringing back May and Lever through the VFL either - bringing back underdone players too fast has killed us over the last few years.

8 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Anyone calling for Frost to be dropped has got rocks in their head as far as I'm concerned.

Whilst I haven't watched the game again with a completely calm mind since Saturday, I thought he was our best key position back by a long way.  Was good one on one, picked his times well when to leave his man to make another contest, provided good run without over extending himself (and getting caught) and played within his capability to hit good targets by foot.  He also applied some good spoils on the last lines of defense.

Comparitively I found Steven May somewhat underwhelming, even before he came off injured (was May carrying something all along?  Who knows).  I'm sure there were some times when Frost got caught out in no-mans-land, but I don't think he can be responsible for that when we played such poor team defense.  Our mids had a feild day offensively and in tight, but our two way running was woeful.  I forget how many times we were outnumbered 2 or 3 to 4 or 5 - that goal Tomahawk handballed back was the epitome of that.

Agree, i though Frost was good, for all the reasons you note. Omac was solid enough as well, though Frost was much better. Their bigs didn't cause us issues. It was their medium and small forwards that caused us grief, in part because Hibberd and Jetts were poor.

Though the real issue for our defence was initially the woeful contested possessions, and once that was resolved our inability to stop the Cats clear it with ease from our forward half then transition it up the ground quickly. The fact we couldn't get any meaningful centre clearance, despite having the the best mid, didn't help either.

I also agree May was underwhelming. His first kick for the club was a shocking turnover that gifted their first goal (IIRC). He didn't get much better from there. Instructive he didn't get one of their two bigs. 

On on the couch last night  it was noted that he came back after his break over weight and was by far our worst runner in pre season. I wonder if that has anything to do with his injury? if you consider his stupidity to cop a eek and miss out firts game then you have to say it has been a pretty [censored] poor start to his time at anew club. Particularly one that is supposedly a leader. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Scrap the game plan. It’s pretty clear that after four games it isn’t working. I can see what they were hoping to achieve in theory. Given the new 6-6-6 rule, get the ball into our 50 quickly and lock it in before the opposition can get extra players in to defend. 

Out: Current game plan.

In: Last seasons game plan. 

We are playing exactly the same game style as last season. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

This has last years start all over it. Give it 3 weeks and see where we are at. Even comp so 12-14 wins will get us in. 

Our lack of depth has been exposed when your scraping the barrel with the Wagner brothers, Stretch, Keilty etc...

Missing our forward role players such as VDB, Hannan and Garlett (yes I concede he fell out of our best 22) who all know where the sticks are. No wonder our forward line is a shambles.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, binman said:

Hibberd and Jetts were poor.

They're not on their own  (T Mac and Jones says hello) but is there any reason why these two high quality defenders have chosen to be in career worst form at the same time? What the hell is going on at the club?