• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CEO TAKES A STAND

Demon Head

'We' couldn't give a stuff about anyone but the Demons.

It really makes my blood boil, to think that we are now depending on 2 other codes to get this happening, and that we have to sit and wait until another club (especially a soccer club :rolleyes: ) can be satisfied. Nobody could care less about the Victory 2 years ago and please correct me if I'm wrong, but this was our initiative, was it not?

Jaded, its no secret this this is a collaborative effort between the Vic Govt and 3 major sporting bodies (Rugby, Soccer& the Mfc), whereby the Vic Govt is the major shareholder, if you will. "A purpose built stadium for rugby and soccer codes, with other sports campus facilities for MELBOURNEfc and other bodies, fills a niche gap in the city’s sporting and entertainment infrastructure".

It's hardly a surprise when there are a number of parties involved in a project of this size that there will be difference of opinion . It would be a mistake for the Vic Govt. to plough ahead with the original blueprints. Firm negotiation by Bracks is what is needed. Whilst we are disappointed, firm management is what is needed now!

On another note, I applaud O'neill, Lowry et al for what has happened with soccer in this country. It has gone gone from being a second rate back yard management hash-up, leaking millions of dollars nationally, almost operating insolvent to now a recognised body which should break even in its second year, and attracting major dollars for this country.

Your anger is sadly misguided and uninformed.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let the Victory play all their games at Telstra dome, you hear many AFL clubs say that the break even point at Telstra dome is around 30,000, I would assume the Victory would be the same, why wouldn't you want to fill a 20-25,000 stadium every single week get a good return rather than be concerned about losing money if you don't get above 30,000 people at Telstra dome.

Scrap it all, develope a new stand at the existing Athletic track, that can hold the Storm and MFC Admin and Training Rooms, where not going to use the playing arena anyway, and donate the savings you will have to the MFC and Storm.

something that occurs to me...is where really is the track record of victory and large numbers..

yes....they are doing ok this year..and numbers fairly healthy.. its not long after the world cup...soccer is on a bit of a roll..

but history...ahhh history wil tell you a whole different story about the state of this code.. its been anywhere from basketcase to the next big thing...with the former occupying many more years than the later..

So what happens next year or year after..when another team has its time in the sun.. the love affair with soccer wains... numbers go back to more reasonable expectations ??

you ask..mine only a supposition...and it is.. and only as much a one as the business case put forward by victory at present... there are no real runs on the board for a resaonable time frame.. and they base all their rhetoric on this??

I'd also be thinking its b pretty good business when you can fill your stadium week in week out...that wont put ppl off...only gets them keen to secure tickets...a marvellous position to be in.

if Victory had 3-5 years of continual growth etc.. and undeniable claim to real estate.. then id listen to them..otherwise build a revised stadium to 28000 as can be ..and be done...if after a number of years crowding is a problem.. then they REALLY have a case

til then I really couldnt give a rats about Victory's whinging

I've got some sympathy for Soccer's position that they require an adequate capacity stadium. They should put their money where their mouth is and guarantee say 5 30K+ crowds per year for five years to get the capacity increased or else foot the bill for the extra cost.

if that is part of the package to build a new stadium.... then that simply comes into teh total cost of ownership realm.. only problem then is who pays what share

No one has the monolpoly on bums on seats really !!..would Telstra be compensated if game was moved to teh G or Princess ( hypothetically speaking ) doubt it !! .. is Telstra compensated because of added capacity to tennis centre etc.. no..so what real call does Telstra have on a New Soccer stadium...am genuiney intrigued :-)

the Compensation I mentioned in my original post isn't about when a game gets moved. Part of the original deal with building TD is that if another stadium of over 25k (see this article for source) gets built, the government then has to shell out compensation money to TD as part of their contract, before a game is even played!

What call does TD have on a new soccer stadium? A very big one!

Seriously belzebub, stop looking at this issue through red and blue glasses. There are other issues at hand.

not looking through it with red and blue...not at all...its not just Melbourne that has a vested interested...so does storm..even phoenix in current state of co operation...

Simple..build stadium open in stages..yes contrived.. that will get around TD.. see that wasnt hard !!..you think that simplistic..yes it is isnt it.. ..could be done so has 25000 cap...with temp seating ability...that becomes permanent.. probably other permutations ..

Its not a Soccer stadium...it a multi access sports facility..its NOT Victory's alone...though they ponce around as though it ought to be.

By time they get around to redesign.. contract letting etcetc..building ..commisioning..itll be 2010 anyway..so TD thing becomes moot

always more ways to skin cats.

im happy if they keep it at 20000 and Victory becomes Loser...or maybe they can convince Princess park redevelopment to come up with something ?

Let's hope for another "typical, boring" nil-all draw on Sunday evening, so Victory's chances of living up to their name are reduced.

How dare these so-called Demon supporters contributing to this forum suggest that these newchums( who performed so poorly last year, and have regained that form just in time for the finals) are ahead of our historic club in this city. Don't forget you're comparing a STATE side to a local team. To be a fair comparison Victory should be compared to our Victorian State of Origin team's attendances.(or perhaps to the total attendances of all the Melb based clubs).

The stadium has to be bigger, end of story. not just for Victory's sake but for Victoria in general. to claim we are the sporting capital of the world is a joke without a proper rectangular stadium. also FIFA requirments are that if any city wants to host a an international event such as a world cup or Asia Cup (which we definately will, its a matter of when, not if) the stadiums need to be 40,000 minimum capacity. The best thing would be to buld one at 35,000 with the option to extend to 40-45 incase we ever host an international event.

its sad how we need Victory more than they need us for this deal to go through but its MFC's own fault, we've had 150 years to get it right but have been pathetic to the point where a 2 year old 'soccer' club has more pull than we do.

in the meantime GO VICTORY this sunday!

we've managed perfectly well with e G and TD for any FIFA events..argument moot ..

Melb's claim to fame as sporting mecca is hardly at risk for the sake of 10000 bums on seats !!

we dont need Victory at all....Vic Gov is building it anyway...so who cares really what Victory does..or wants.....except Victory!!

do maths..how many soccer clubs representing Melb? how many footy ??.. get real

so who cares really what Victory does..or wants.....except Victory!!

do maths..how many soccer clubs representing Melb? how many footy ??.. get real

We care because we want what's best for all sports. We want the storm, victory and demons to win flags. Deezz is right when he points out we should have made the move a long time ago and shouldn't be relying on the government now.

Nine clubs represent Melbourne in the AFL. One represents Melbourne in the A-League. That's why the governemnt should give it the best chance possible of succeeding.

Go Victory on Sunday.

We care because ........

good for you...seriosuly...no slight inferred or meant... you follow them.

I dont...many dont..may couldnt care less if soccer grew or fell over...

they are entitled to do whatever they think good for their cause....but they have to be fair and realistic in these endeavours..

If Victory want to honour an original committment to be part of a consortia at the new joint..al wel and good..if not...I really couldnt care less.

keep in mind they would have known what was on offer from the start...why didnt they work behind the scenes to get he spec changed from day one ...but no they have to parade around like prima donnas..feeling deserving of anything and everything onoffer and more... and they have beem around.what....oooh...5 mins !! ( in the grand scheme of things).

I dont see them coming up with millions for this project...its all take take take...they can get stuffed !!

I think that both of you have made your points. Perhaps it is time to walk away.

The flak should be directed at the original dump contract. Like back-ended footy contracts they are put into place by previous administrations and come back to bite the poor saps who find themselves in charge. If this sort of ridiculous clause were not allowed in government contracts, we would all be better off. Just have a look at the situation in Sydney when they are just now finding out about the wacky clauses that the city tunnel mob got into their contract courtesy of Bob Carr.

It's good to see that our CEO has taken a stand on our future training ground and I see that as being important. But I'd also like to know a bit more about what the club's doing in terms of ensuring that we, as a club can prosper into the future. I know it's been said that we're managing to break close to even financially (thanks to additional AFL funding) but what are we doing about securing major sponsorships and other funding initiatives to help bridge the gap between ourselves and the powerful interstate clubs?

Even the Enron Football Club announced a new sponsor this week amid all of the turmoil and the bickering of their nasty election battle.

• 3 months later...

It ws always goint o be rectangular, that was the whole purpose of it.

Anyone remember when we used to train at the 'G and we couldn't use the centre square because of the cricket? Every game the players used to play around the wings and flanks, damn it was frustrating.

i believe that we will be sharing a football oval with collingwood as part of this deal, our gym area and so forth will be inside the new stadium

if we have to train on the rectangle ground, then so do the pies, because the whole is being built over their existing training ground i believe

i believe that we will be sharing a football oval with collingwood as part of this deal, our gym area and so forth will be inside the new stadium

if we have to train on the rectangle ground, then so do the pies, because the whole is being built over their existing training ground i believe

That was my understanding as well.....gym, pool, etc etc at the stadium along with admin, and train at Gosh's Paddock, where Collingwood currently train just up the road. (shared)

This is brilliant news............a shining light on a dark season to date.......the club deserves much kudos for promising and delivering on a new home near the MCG for our club.

in this world of corporate crap im sure someone will pay lots of money to try and name it (ie lexus centre), however i would love to see us name it after someone as tribute, a club insider. the corporate name can go over the top.

could we anoint it the norm smith centre? or perhaps the robbie flower centre? any ideas?