Hogan the Crumber

Demonland

Why this obsession with "smashing packs" ? Jesse is much too skilled to be wasted in such a role. And, in any event, without a Garlett or similar its often a waste because the opposition read our play better than we do and take the ball away too easily. It's the rapid exits that hurt us most. Watch round 1 against Geelong.

I suggest Tracca should be used as the no. 1 crumber for his footy nous, strength at the contest and ability to get the ball to deny the oppos and to hold the ball in our forward line. If not Jeffy as no. 2 then ANB who runs all day, knows how to get to the ball, has possibly the best pass to advantage over short distances and loves a goal.

Smashing packs implies high, slow delivery into our forward line. Jesse, TMac and Mitch Hannan have shown their ability to create space and provide dangerous targets. But the delivery and target selection has been poor for years.

It's our inability to use these targets instead of long bombs that has crueled our opportunities to score heavily when we dominate the inside 50 metric. Time for the FD to step up and devise a plan.

18 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

No it wasn’t. But Dermott did it for longer at the top of the ladder, year after year. 

Dermie is a great teacher, and this comes through in his comments on players of all clubs, his understanding of the game and how to effect performance improvements. Dermie has an easy-going manner about him, is patient and speaks particulalry well. He is also quite often misquoted for effect, and what he has said is often misinterpreted. He'd be a great - if not the greatest - mentor for Hoges over some time, at training, in skills practices, in reading game plays. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tiers said:

Why this obsession with "smashing packs" ? Jesse is much too skilled to be wasted in such a role. And, in any event, without a Garlett or similar its often a waste because the opposition read our play better than we do and take the ball away too easily. It's the rapid exits that hurt us most. Watch round 1 against Geelong.

I suggest Tracca should be used as the no. 1 crumber for his footy nous, strength at the contest and ability to get the ball to deny the oppos and to hold the ball in our forward line. If not Jeffy as no. 2 then ANB who runs all day, knows how to get to the ball, has possibly the best pass to advantage over short distances and loves a goal.

Smashing packs implies high, slow delivery into our forward line. Jesse, TMac and Mitch Hannan have shown their ability to create space and provide dangerous targets. But the delivery and target selection has been poor for years.

It's our inability to use these targets instead of long bombs that has crueled our opportunities to score heavily when we dominate the inside 50 metric. Time for the FD to step up and devise a plan.

If you are a talented key forward you must compete in the air as often as you can and make sure at worst you're not out-marked so the ball comes to ground.  From there the ball is either crumbed by a teammate, or it is retained in the forward-line through pressure.  Making it hard for the opposition to get the ball out leads to poor quality exits from D50 and therefore (hopefully) repeat entries.

You don't want Hogan front and centre if he has an opportunity to compete for a high ball.  

Ideally, you want him getting hit-up on a lead, but where there is a bail out kick, or top of the square kick, he needs to compete.  

On occasions he's been choosing not to.  It has to - and I'm sure will - stop.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Dermie is a great teacher, and this comes through in his comments on players of all clubs, his understanding of the game and how to effect performance improvements. Dermie has an easy-going manner about him, is patient and speaks particulalry well. He is also quite often misquoted for effect, and what he has said is often misinterpreted. He'd be a great - if not the greatest - mentor for Hoges over some time, at training, in skills practices, in reading game plays. 

There is a reason why Dermie's coaching career has been limited to his sons under age team...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

There is a reason why Dermie's coaching career has been limited to his sons under age team...

I thought he spent time at GWS working with their forwards?

54 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Yep, he places family before other time-consuming interests. Met him once in an airport awaiting the same flight; he was sitting on the floor at an occaisonal table with his children, helping them to colour-in their drawings and reading to them. Had them totally occupied. Then we get a further 'flight delayed' notification. Dermott set about spending another hour with them in a very engaging way and it indicated how important his family was to him, doing the hard yards until boarding time. Very impressive (from the observations of a father of five children, myself).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Yep, he places family before other time-consuming interests. Met him once in an airport awaiting the same flight; he was sitting on the floor at an occaisonal table with his children, helping them to colour-in their drawings and reading to them. Had them totally occupied. Then we get a further 'flight delayed' notification. Dermott set about spending another hour with them in a very engaging way and it indicated how important his family was to him, doing the hard yards until boarding time. Very impressive (from the observations of a father of five children, myself).

When i met him. He was an absolute gentleman. Funny and serious. Enjoyed the chat immensely, told him how 1987 is still remembered like a family death...lucky bastard!!!

• Like 1

On 6/26/2018 at 1:41 PM, Moonshadow said:

Hogan is out of form and his confidence is low. Thanks for letting us know Dermot 'Captain Obvious' Brereton.

After a cracking first 9 or so rounds, the guy has had a few low weeks. I'm sure it's not lost on the FD, they'll be working on it.

Lol to the posters on other threads suggesting we should drop or even trade him!

Brereton is not being critical of Hogan. He's simply analysing his performance. I'd say you're a bit touchy

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Roost It said:

Brereton is not being critical of Hogan. He's simply analysing his performance. I'd say you're a bit touchy

And I'd say you didn't read my post. What I did post was that his observations are pretty obvious, and the FD will be onto it

On 6/26/2018 at 3:28 PM, buck_nekkid said:

All fugazi 

Hogan at his best is everything, covering more kms faster than opponents, being stronger than them, crashing packs, marking and kicking goals.  He is not one ‘type’ he is his own beast.

he is still young, and his form will fluctuate.  He will be back in form and all of those who want him traded or dropped can rejizz on the oldjizz.  Because there was plenty’o’that when he was dominating.

Brereton is a stain, Jesse is an easy target. I would not let Brereton anywhere near him.

geez a bit of a hogan groupie. he isnt the same contested mark as he used to be. he wrestles with his opponent, often falls to ground then whinges for frees. he is second fiddle to tom mcdonald and rightly so

7 hours ago, Dr.D said:

geez a bit of a hogan groupie. he isnt the same contested mark as he used to be. he wrestles with his opponent, often falls to ground then whinges for frees. he is second fiddle to tom mcdonald and rightly so

Nah, not a groupie.  I didn’t like the way he sooked or carried on last year, and thought he struggled to kick over a jam tin with his hip hop run in.  Seems to be past all of that.  Love his effort this year, and see a really valuable young forward with a range of elite traits emerging.

Brereton is a [censored], and there are many others I would have counsel Jesse before him.

Plays a different role to Tom, and agree he engages opponents more that he has to, but you can be sure that other teams are putting a heap of work into him.  He is a match winner when he is on.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2018 at 1:41 PM, Moonshadow said:

Hogan is out of form and his confidence is low. Thanks for letting us know Dermot 'Captain Obvious' Brereton.

After a cracking first 9 or so rounds, the guy has had a few low weeks. I'm sure it's not lost on the FD, they'll be working on it.

Lol to the posters on other threads suggesting we should drop or even trade him!

Yup, his first 9 weeks were outstanding. Jesse can turn this around instantly, he just needs to compete in the air and crash packs. Every time the ball comes in he scares the hell out of the defence as he always looks a chance to come down with it.

• Like 1