Delisting, Trade and FA discussion 2018

DemonLad5

2 minutes ago, SFebey said:

And there you go again.

That's right, I had a civil discussion with Steve about Oscar McDonald.  At least he makes some sense, rather than saying things like Jake Lever isn't a key position player, and that Joel Smith is our current CHB, even though Harrison Petty played that role on the weekend.

1 minute ago, SFebey said:

Most people, including experts will all say Lever is more a floater, intercept player, 3rd man up, not a KPD and Joel Smith is our current CHB. We are still missing a KPD, IMO and that's what this thread is about - trade and FA discussion. If you don't think we need a KPD that's cool, we need plenty of things.

You're right I don't think its our no.1 priority to have another KPD. Oscar has developed well and will continue to do so if our midfield apply the right amount of pressure. With Lever we had a really good balance in our backline. We have developing KPD in Petty and Keilty of which I think at least one will be serviceable in the next year or so.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SFebey said:

When did I knock Oscar? I said 'does he continue to get a game' which was in reference to if we go for May and next year, our team is currently unsettled. Last year and before I was very critical of Oscar but have given him plenty of credit this year and have been very happy for him.

Sam Reid never played CHB??!

You have followed me around for months, poking and prodding and disagreeing with just everything I say, I don't care if you have your own opinion, but it's getting a bit creepy, I'm not the only one you do it to and others notice it also. Keep posting for likes and I will just keep telling it how it is and trying to involve others in conversation, rather than belittling them, perhaps use the ignore function?

Most people, including experts will all say Lever is more a floater, intercept player, not a KPD and Joel Smith is our current CHB. We are still missing a KPD, IMO.

I'm personally happy with Oscar. He's had some great games where he's done all you could ask. Yeah he's he bit limited but I'd be in the camp of finding the right guy to play alongside him. I do feel there are many here and at games who feel he simply can't play, which is sad. 

Having said that I think its a worthwhile question SFebey asks and it gets you thinking. I'm sure there's many ideas on what we can do to improve our backline and at this stage I'm willing to listen to them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SFebey said:

B: Jetta, O McDonald, Lever

HB: Hibberd, May, Atley

With Oscar, a returning Lever, a developing Petty, Frost and Keilty and the shorter pinch hitting Smith, we are ok for key backs.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Redleg said:

With Oscar, a returning Lever, a developing Petty, Frost and Keilty and the shorter pinch hitting Smith, we are ok for key backs.

Agree..the essentials are there...if not quite there...

Other areas need greater attention

14 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Just looking at the list of Unrestricted free agents.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-22/official-afl-releases-list-of-2018-free-agents

Luke Dahlhaus is the obvious standout there for our needs and age profile.  Surely we are into him.

He played very well on the weekend, I thought we may have had a crack at him last year but may still this year

8 minutes ago, Redleg said:

That's the question, is Frosts papers stamped and will Keilty and Petty (18) make it, they are probably still a long way off? Recruiting a May, like Lever, we know what we'll get rather than wait and hope.

I'm not saying it's the reason why we are losing, just an area to look at, Lever along with May for eg and Oscar will be the first defence for years to come.

Running HB's like Atley may be worth a look as I said above but the first priority will be gut running, two way outside mids, which is currently our biggest problem?

Oscar has been horribly exposed from the minute Lever went down, Lever was covering up a lot of cracks in the defence.

There is another chap in WA who I believe is a RFA called Jeremy McGovern, he can play a bit but no idea where those negotiations are at.

• 2 months later...

I agree with the call for pace. Don’t dismiss skills. Transition of the footy is essential 

win the footy (tackle  smother defend  chase  pressure  contested)

transition the footy (skills  pace  structure)

kick accurately (take chances.  Setup to score. Fwd 50 pressure)

• Like 1

It''s time to consider a polished 'Gorilla tamer. now the footy's finished for us and we also need some more speed, and X-factor.

jDegoey could have been amongst our list, from a couple of seasons back. >

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2014&t=N&s=P

Maybe we should go all out, to try to lure him in a years time ?   He's off contract in 2020.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-collingwood-magpies--jordan-de-goey

We need some risk-taker types.   X-Factor.

... remembering David Schwartz, and Jeff Farmer.  and Alan Jakovitch__ we need one in the side, who can turn IT on.

Edited by DV8

Retire. Vince. Balic. 

Delist. King. McKenna  Johnstone (then rookie) 

trade or delist   Jkh   Bugg

Rookie delist. Foilopovic 

Rookie retain. T Smith Maynard

That’s 7 total spots. (6 main 1 rookie) 

trade possible. Tyson (tough call)

rookie upgrade. Keilty

Having watched the VFL granny today I would be astounded if Garlett is at the club next year.

And Buggy ain't coming back to the seniors.

Tyson trade. 

I suspect all will become clearer in the next week.

Vince and Balic have retired. Bugg, JKH, Kent, King, Johnstone, McKenna & Pederson out of contract and not sure of Vanders. I took this from the list posted early September on another post. Filipovic and Keilty out of contract on the rookie list. To me it doesn't make sense to move on both King and Flip

I cannot see us letting 10 players go after 1 season as we only have 5 draft picks. Contracted next year and their age next season in brackets Tyson (26), Garlett (30), Jones (31) & Lewis (33). We could trade for extra picks but not sure who has any currency. I included Jones and Lewis only because of their respective ages and am not suggesting they be moved on.

We need to keep turning the list over.

Delist: Garlett, Bugg, McKenna, Keilty, Vince, Balic, Johnstone, King

I'd offer Pedersen one more year as cover.

I'd potentially re-rookie Johnstone.

I'm not a fan of Tim Smith, but suspects he gets another year.

I'm not fussed about Filipovic, so stay or go.

I believe Garlett has one more year, but I'd pay him out.

Edited by ProDee
  • Like 1