Tackling

Ours is a disgrace, it deserves it's own thread.

We constantly over-commit or simply don't go in hard enough.

The worst part is opposition players just need to stand still, do a little shimmy and shake and we get nowhere near them. We buy more candy than any other team.

It needs to be fixed now otherwise this team will not be seeing any kind of success.

Edited by Clint Bizkit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They played like millionaires today. Didn't respect the opposition. The fact North players could get a handball off almost every time after a tackle is a major indictment on the gameplan and our contested ball. That may well be the worst loss of the season. I really hope the wheels don't fall off here. But that tackling effort is something that has persisted for a while. Love or hate the Scott bros., they are smart, and North exploited that today. Won't take long for other teams too. If we lose next week, that's pretty much lights out for finals considering the form of the teams around us, and some of their draws.

I am absolutely gutted at that effort. The tackling just had me gobsmacked all day. I threw my phone on the ground three times.

Called it early in he game thread. Our inability to stick a tackle today was farsical. They brushed us aside all day like we were teenagers.

This will cost us ! Those early misses to Macca and Gartlet were very costly. They thought it would just happen today. God we missed Jones today ...

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Did we stick one tackle yesterday??

Garlett stuck one really good tackle... can't recall which quarter or who it was on, but the thing that made it stand out was the fact that he used both arms to wrap the player up, while most others were throwing out one arm hoping to snare a player.

2 minutes ago, hardtack said:

Garlett stuck one really good tackle... can't recall which quarter or who it was on, but the thing that made it stand out was the fact that he used both arms to wrap the player up, while most others were throwing out one arm hoping to snare a player.

I certainly don't blame Jeffrey for yesterdays result, he ran everywhere. 

I missed most of the 1st half on TV but in the 2nd half North players just continually broke free and kept running. 

Fix it Goodwin, speak to Craig Bellamy

Storm boys know how to make a tacle stick!!

29 minutes ago, hardtack said:

Just before Garlett stick his Melksham offered one of the worst ever efforts lunging at a North player who saw it a mile away and just stepped around him.

38 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

We still had 75 of them yesterday and had more of the footy.  We miss a few, as any team does, but I think we're just looking for something to cry about.

Think you are oversimplifying it. Our tackling yesterday was disgraceful. It is not the attempt that is relevant, it is the result. Putting an arm out is an attempt.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Think you are oversimplifying it. Our tackling yesterday was disgraceful. It is not the attempt that is relevant, it is the result. Putting an arm out is an attempt.

We missed a few, but I also think some are overplaying it due to the result.  If we had laid 50 tackles, then I'd be concerned.  But we had more of the footy and only laid three less tackles, which is proof we can stick them and that we stick them often.  If we didn't then we wouldn't be in the eight.

21 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

We missed a few, but I also think some are overplaying it due to the result.  If we had laid 50 tackles, then I'd be concerned.  But we had more of the footy and only laid three less tackles, which is proof we can stick them and that we stick them often.  If we didn't then we wouldn't be in the eight.

Wise we are talking about yesterday. I watched the game with my family and we were all saying why can't they tackle properly? We missed many tackles and many others were just totally ineffective. That is fact.

Yes there were other things that caused the loss and here are a few of them.

Dumb football, lack of pace and poor disposal, yet again ( my hobbyhorse ). 

Handball madness on a windy day. ANB handballing twice on the 50 for certain goals when Garlett was free and then TMac was free ahead, both handballs misdirected to North. Petracca refusing to kick ( 2 kicks and 17 handballs and 3 holding the ball as a result ). Players handballing to players in worse positions, when a kick clears the pack and creates the play.

Garlett and Tom Mac missing set shots from 5 and 10 metres respectively.

Hogan getting injured.

Disgraceful umpiring again in the last quarter. 8 frees to nil. About 5 blatant frees to us not paid some a few metres from our goal. 

Hopeless diposal from some, especially Tyson, the turnover king of the AFL. Plenty of ball and nearly always turned it over. Disgraceful. Forget his possessions, he was one of North's best players yesterday. He is a real problem.

Can you explain why a player with a gale behind him, running to 50 with the footy, looks sideways for a team mate and then handballs, usually poorly, creating the chance for the turnover when he can score with a kick? It is dumb football and just madness.

Players not going to the goal line to defend and be able to come forward to the ball, when Brown or other North players, were having a shot from a fair way out. At least 2 goals were scored by North this way, when a player on the goal line would have marked the ball or at least rushed a point. 

The Coaches not reacting to our play and North's.

An inability to play the ground, as Goodwin conceded.

Lack of pace generally. Unfortunately this will see JT not being selected for us again. Great guy who can't run. I felt sorry for him as he jogged around, a shadow of his former self.

Lack of a champion to lift the side.

Poor games by Viney and Watts our leaders and several others like Hannan, ANB.

Apparent lack of desperation needed given what we were playing for.

The above were some of the reasons we lost.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Wise we are talking about yesterday. I watched the game with my family and we were all saying why can't they tackle properly? We missed many tackles and many others were just totally ineffective. That is fact.

Yes there were other things that caused the loss and here are a few of them.

Dumb football, lack of pace and poor disposal, yet again ( my hobbyhorse ). 

Handball madness on a windy day. ANB handballing twice on the 50 for certain goals when Garlett was free and then TMac was free ahead, both handballs misdirected to North. Petracca refusing to kick ( 2 kicks and 17 handballs and 3 holding the ball as a result ). Players handballing to players in worse positions, when a kick clears the pack and creates the play.

Garlett and Tom Mac missing set shots from 5 and 10 metres respectively.

Hogan getting injured.

Disgraceful umpiring again in the last quarter. 8 frees to nil. About 5 blatant frees to us not paid some a few metres from our goal. 

Hopeless diposal from some, especially Tyson, the turnover king of the AFL. Plenty of ball and nearly always turned it over. Disgraceful. Forget his possessions, he was one of North's best players yesterday. He is a real problem.

Can you explain why a player with a gale behind him, running to 50 with the footy, looks sideways for a team mate and then handballs, usually poorly, creating the chance for the turnover when he can score with a kick? It is dumb football and just madness.

Players not going to the goal line to defend and be able to come forward to the ball, when Brown or other North players, were having a shot from a fair way out. At least 2 goals were scored by North this way, when a player on the goal line would have marked the ball or at least rushed a point. 

The Coaches not reacting to our play and North's.

An inability to play the ground, as Goodwin conceded.

Lack of pace generally. Unfortunately this will see JT not being selected for us again. Great guy who can't run. I felt sorry for him as he jogged around, a shadow of his former self.

The above were some of the reasons we lost.

All that tells me is we are an unbelievably good footy side when we get it right.  To have next to no positives out of a game, as it seems you have taken none, and only lose by 4 points to a team that plays the ground and conditions regularly tells me that we have much to look forward to as a club.

We all see things differently.

8 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

All that tells me is we are an unbelievably good footy side when we get it right.  To have next to no positives out of a game, as it seems you have taken none, and only lose by 4 points to a team that plays the ground and conditions regularly tells me that we have much to look forward to as a club.

We all see things differently.

Again Wise you have oversimplified. I didn't say there were no positives it was a discussion on why we lost and tackling.

I agree we have much to look forward to. 

Disagree we are an "unbelievably good footy side " when we get it right. I would  say we are an improving team, that when playing well can play good footy and match it with anyone, but which is still prone to bad days, due possibly to inexperience and poor skills being exposed by some. Also, not forgetting that we have had a shocking run with injuries and suspensions this season.

PS. Some positives:

Played poorly and just lost.

Umpires helped North in last quarter especially.

Jones and Vince to return.

Weideman, Smith, King and Maynard, some of the kids to look forward to.

Oliver is the AFL clearance king in second year.

Viney had probably his worst game of the year.

Edited by Redleg

2 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Again Wise you have oversimplified. I didn't say there were no positives it was a discussion on why we lost and tackling.

I agree we have much to look forward to. 

Disagree we are an "unbelievably good footy side " when we get it right. I would  say we are an improving team, that when playing well can play good footy and match it with anyone, but which is still prone to bad days, due possibly to inexperience and poor skills being exposed by some. Also, not forgetting that we have had a shocking run with injuries and suspensions this season.

This is what it is to me, regardless of how simple it sounds.  Everyone else can over analyse, but to me this is what it is.  We put in a shocker yesterday, but every club has them.  It's not as if we're having them more than others.

The 'unbelievably good footy side' comment was a little tongue in cheek, but my point stands.  If we can have a shocker and still be within a kick then we will go okay for the next 4-5 years.

Edited by Wiseblood

2 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

This is what it is to me, regardless of how simple it sounds.  Everyone else can over analyse, but to me this is what it is.  We put in a shocker yesterday, but every club has them.  It's not as if we're having them more than others.

The 'unbelievably good footy side' comment was a little tongue in cheek, but my point stands.  If we can have a shocker and still be within a kick then we will go okay for the next 4-5 years.

Agree.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

We may have had 75 tackles on paper, but most of them didn't stick and Nought were able to keep the ball moving...

• Like 1

I don't know how many times I have to say it. We have a less than bulky side. We often get out-buffetted by stronger sides. And stronger sides are able to break our tackles. North did it last time too.

We often put in maximum effort, but we lack grunt.

Our losing streak against North coincides with their two coaches in that time, Laidley and Brad Scott. Both coached (Laidley also played) under Malthouse. Mick was masterful at getting players to stymie opponents' clearance work.

Yesterday's last quarter was precisely the time we needed our on ballers to go to work. And yet North took the honours around the tight stuff.

Tackling, clearances, the hard work. We are not winning a flag until we bulk up.

Wait a minute last week we out tackled Port Adelaide who have some of the biggest bodied mids in the comp. We can beat anyone on our day. We can also lose to anyone when we are off.

You can't make conclusions based on one game.