AFL ask Hird to present Norm Smith Medal

deeko

Just now, jnrmac said:

So will they get Jobe Watson to present the Brownlow?

:rolleyes: Do they know where it is ? :unsure:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, steve_f said:

This is madness.  The crowd or a portion thereof will boo and Hird will be tempted to self-medicate again.  As surely as night follows day.

But that'll be racist......oh hang on....

17 hours ago, Pates said:

As for Scott McGrory's comments (and to be honest I'd never heard of him before), it isn't quite the same. Hird won the Norm Smith medal for being a bloody good player, untainted by drugs. He earned it 100% and was a great player in the 2000 premiership, that is something no one can ever take away from him. 

I guess we can perhaps maybe assume that, but maybe the AFL don't keep specimens forever like WADA or the Olympic folk do.

And what happens when Ben Cousins' turn comes around??  

40 minutes ago, monoccular said:

I guess we can perhaps maybe assume that, but maybe the AFL don't keep specimens forever like WADA or the Olympic folk do.

And what happens when Ben Cousins' turn comes around??  

Well I guess then we can perhaps accept that Woewodin won the Brownlow untainted too. Let's not try to taint his playing record, he was a fantastic player, and as far as we know (which can be said for 99.99% of every other player) he did it without the aid of anything unscrupulous. 

As for Cousins, well that's a hole the AFL have dug themselves. Maybe get Judd to present it as he was the premiership captain. I'm sure anyone would be pleased with that outcome. 

10 hours ago, rjay said:

Well 'Pates', these days all I will say is he hasn't been proven guilty of taking anything.

Unfortunately I'm not in the position to say he 100% earned it...recent events in world sport make it an impossible call. 

As I said to Mono above, you can then say that of practically every player to play the game. Who knows, maybe Gazza Ablett Snr was that bloody good because he was on something whilst playing! He got into drugs afterwards.....just saying. (Tongue in cheek on that)

What I'm saying is it's pointless and actually pretty poor form to cast doubt on his playing career when there is ZERO evidence to even suggest he might've taken something during his career. The FACTS we know are that everything he's done wrong came while being a coach, therefor his individual playing awards carry respect. 

The analogy of Lance Armstrong vs Hird only applies if you think Hird was on something during his playing career. And yes I do believe his story of placing trust in the wrong people, I believe he told those people he wanted his players to standout and have the best advantages possible and gave them license to experiment. I believe he probably thought they were doing everything above board, but he didn't do is due dilegence or keep a close eye on what was going on. That is his fault and his responsibility, and it's a serious failure as the coach. 

Edited by Pates

Typical politically correct nonsense from Big Gil and co. Bring back Hird because .. well just because.

Let's ignore the fact that WADA concluded that he was involved in the biggest attempt to cheat the system in living memory and managed to bring the game into disrepute more than anybody that's ever been involved with this sport.

Gil no doubt thought this one up with some other rocket scientists who have managed to highjack the game.

52 minutes ago, Big Demon said:

Typical politically correct nonsense from Big Gil and co. Bring back Hird because .. well just because.

Let's ignore the fact that WADA concluded that he was involved in the biggest attempt to cheat the system in living memory and managed to bring the game into disrepute more than anybody that's ever been involved with this sport.

Gil no doubt thought this one up with some other rocket scientists who have managed to highjack the game.

Then conveniently took of to France.  Didn't someone else in this discussion also take off to France?

Birds of  a feather stick together.

Remind me, what was Gil's role at AFL when the excrement hit the oscillating blades?

On 14/07/2017 at 1:10 PM, beelzebub said:

Mate...you have NO idea of the history of the drugees at Windy Hill obviously.

What we do is one thing. Whst Hird instigated was another.

Go read ...come back if you understand.

Btw..as a heads up and a pointer it all started after,   ironically your namesake , cleanef up Hird and he took the path of ruin subsequently. 

I don't understand your poor spelling. Let alone the argument. 

4 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

I don't understand your poor spelling. Let alone the argument. 

Really lol

Typical retort from an ignoramus.

Your argument is folly , or non existent, so you go the nonsense reply. Well done.

When you can read I invite you to research the history of Hirds involvement in the supplements fiasco. Do educate yourself Wrecker, you might just learn something here.

17 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Really lol

Typical retort from an ignoramus.

Your argument is folly , or non existent, so you go the nonsense reply. Well done.

When you can read I invite you to research the history of Hirds involvement in the supplements fiasco. Do educate yourself Wrecker, you might just learn something here.

It is a pleasure to read a properly spelled post from you, that actually makes sense.

My opinion on Hird goes against the grain. I understand that. 

Peter Jackson has turned the Melbourne Football Club around. He appointed the right coach at the time, despite Roos being in my opinion, a poor match day decision maker. The coach has an important role but does not run the footy club.

Was Terry Wallace responsible for the recruiting in his famous 5 year plan?

Higher people within the club than Hird made decisions that will forever taint Essendon as drug cheats. Hird needs to get on with his life and I am glad the AFL has reached out with an olive branch.

• Like 1