Watching thru app overseas?

buck_nekkid

The AFL app is not streaming video whilst I am out of the country ( the other stuff shows, and past videos run).  Any tips on how I can watch or listen to our game over the internet?  I'm up the back of a channel island with no Sky tv, but great internet.  Don't want to miss the game.

Any advice, tips or directions greatly appreciated!  Go Dees.

1 hour ago, buck_nekkid said:

The AFL app is not streaming video whilst I am out of the country ( the other stuff shows, and past videos run).  Any tips on how I can watch or listen to our game over the internet?  I'm up the back of a channel island with no Sky tv, but great internet.  Don't want to miss the game.

Any advice, tips or directions greatly appreciated!  Go Dees.

You can listen to the game while overeseas by going to the AFL website on your phone or laptop (not via the app).

You then go to match day ... click on your game and you will see a "Listen live" button. Click on it and the stations come up.

If you do not already have a media player on your phone you will need to download one. I use VLC which seems to work

• Like 1

Hello Buck.  The "watchafl" thing is working fine here in Los Angeles. I'm watching Brisbane now (Stef Martin is killing atm) and watching the Saints/WC game. 

I'm not sure it's an actual "App" though because I don't open an app to use it, i just go to the "watchafl..." site on my browser and select the game to stream through the browser. 

(Happy to try to answer any questions, but will sleep soon , its 3:18 AM here now)

Good luck.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Rob Mac...... said:

Hello Buck.  The "watchafl" thing is working fine here in Los Angeles. I'm watching Brisbane now (Stef Martin is killing atm) and watching the Saints/WC game. 

I'm not sure it's an actual "App" though because I don't open an app to use it, i just go to the "watchafl..." site on my browser and select the game to stream through the browser. 

There is an App as well if you want to watch on phone or tablet: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/watch-afl/id1192125380?mt=8

14 hours ago, JTR said:

Do you have Foxtel GO?

It works from overseas if you sit yourself behind a VPN connected to an Australian server.

I haven't been able to get this to work on my iPad or iPhone, suspect it's an Apple thing. But I have got it working on my laptop. 

In the end I streamed the audio from the website.  I think for three quarters I'm glad I didn't pay to watch...  Back home in time for the next game, but at least all the advice here will be great for when I go next time...  thanks everyone.

Has anyone used ExpressVPN? I'm off to Canada on Thursday and am planning on giving it a go... first 7 days are free and they have a 30 day money back guarantee if you're not satisfied. $20 per month.

3 minutes ago, hardtack said:

Has anyone used ExpressVPN? I'm off to Canada on Thursday and am planning on giving it a go... first 7 days are free and they have a 30 day money back guarantee if you're not satisfied. $20 per month.

Might be worth trying the browser Opera before forking out for one if it's just for WatchAFL. It has a free built-in VPN, though I'm not sure if they have end points in Australia

1 minute ago, Vandenberger With The Lot said:

Might be worth trying the browser Opera before forking out for one if it's just for WatchAFL. It has a free built-in VPN, though I'm not sure if they have end points in Australia

That's available for iPad? I want it for Foxtel Go.

Edited by hardtack

Just now, Vandenberger With The Lot said:

They do have a browser on iOS, not sure if it has the VPN functionality though.

Thanks...I guess I'll try ExpressVPN for the cats game using the 7 day free trial, and if it works well, fork out the $20 bucks for the freo game. As the tigers game is on at the same time we're flying back, I'll then avail myself of the 30 day money back guarantee and get my son at home to record the tigers game on the fox box.

1 hour ago, hardtack said:

Thanks...I guess I'll try ExpressVPN for the cats game using the 7 day free trial, and if it works well, fork out the $20 bucks for the freo game. As the tigers game is on at the same time we're flying back, I'll then avail myself of the 30 day money back guarantee and get my son at home to record the tigers game on the fox box.

I use express vpn and watch through my aus Telstra account on the afl app. I'm in china and it has the occasional buffering but is watchable. Pm me and I can give you an express vpn code so we both get some free months for referral.

• Like 1

I find trying to use watchafl.com.au super frustrating, I have good internet, but if I try and watch something live, it buffers endlessly. playback of finished games and shows works fine however. The only exception is if I log on to watch the game before it starts and get it from the start of the stream then it will work but this is not ideal. if the 2y.o. grabs the remote and stops it etc, I'm cooked and have to wait to the end and start over, as happened with the saints game. Haven't got around to writing a complaint yet 

note: this is on a brand new hi end Samsung telly with latest OS 

35 minutes ago, DaisyDeeciple said:

I find trying to use watchafl.com.au super frustrating, I have good internet, but if I try and watch something live, it buffers endlessly. playback of finished games and shows works fine however. The only exception is if I log on to watch the game before it starts and get it from the start of the stream then it will work but this is not ideal. if the 2y.o. grabs the remote and stops it etc, I'm cooked and have to wait to the end and start over, as happened with the saints game. Haven't got around to writing a complaint yet 

Odd mate I'm watching in NZ on a laptop, 3 games now and have had no issues.

• Like 1

I'm currently in Montreal and used ExpressVPN in conjunction with Foxtel Go on my iPad to watch the Swans v Pies game live and it worked a treat.

• Like 1

On 05/04/2017 at 0:09 AM, hardtack said:

Yep I use it and it's great. Super easy to use.

Per my earlier post, I use that so that I can watch Foxtel GO from overseas

3 hours ago, hardtack said:

I'm currently in Montreal and used ExpressVPN in conjunction with Foxtel Go on my iPad to watch the Swans v Pies game live and it worked a treat.

Done the same, but from NZ  :)