WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB – LACHLAN FILIPOVIC

Whispering_Jack

1 hour ago, chook fowler said:

Spencil's performance in the VFL grand final justifies the lack of faith in his abilities such as they are.

Who did he go up against..?

1 hour ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

This bloke isn't the answer to any of our needs next year. Dunno what we are going to do if Max goes down..We will be funked.still think we could have rookied a mature Ruckman. Not another bean pole who can't kick

Walked past you at work today Cell, look like you could still play today. Isn't Spencer enough as a backup? I don't know of any better backups that are happy playing 2nd fiddle & don't have their eye on the door so they can be No. 1 elsewhere.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, chook fowler said:

Spencil's performance in the VFL grand final justifies the lack of faith in his abilities such as they are.

Oh please, he wasn't on his own in the second half, besides which,  it is the past

Pencil was offered a 1 year contract by the club

We now have 2 ruckman ready to go and 2 developing, plus a variety of backups, Lachan can be built properly 

• Like 5

Glad we finally picked up a ruckman. This is the most important pick of our draft/rookie draft period IMO. Hopefully Max can help him develop as we need coverage and a long term options for life after Max. Even though that is some years away, ruckman take a long time to develop, hell it took Maxy 7-8 seasons to come on! We only have him and King developing so we need one of them to come on.

Spencil is a write off. He's been on an AFL list for 8 years, is 26 going on 27 and can't even crack a game. Disappointing to see him put up a crap performance in the VFL Grand Final too. You'd think a bloke who's been on an AFL list would at least be able to step up against VFL talent but he was beaten yet again. We need other ruckman to come on ASAP and Filipovic could be an answer. Good luck to the kid!

33 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Who did he go up against..?

Walked past you at work today Cell, look like you could still play today. Isn't Spencer enough as a backup? I don't know of any better backups that are happy playing 2nd fiddle & don't have their eye on the door so they can be No. 1 elsewhere.

West Coast - Giles. Freo - Griffin. Adelaide - O'Brien. Port - Lobbe (just). St Kilda - Holmes and Longer. Hawthorn - Pittonet. Gold Coast - Witts (just). North - Daw. That's off the top of my head.

Spencer has flashed moments of competence but neither his skills nor his smarts have improved significantly in a long time on the list. I have very little confidence in him with just a slight hope that a full preseason improves him. He should be able to play a fair share of the Preseason games as well this year because surely there's no need to play Max for any more than a bit of conditioning.

On 28 November 2016 at 8:18 PM, Lord Travis said:

Glad we finally picked up a ruckman. This is the most important pick of our draft/rookie draft period IMO. Hopefully Max can help him develop as we need coverage and a long term options for life after Max. Even though that is some years away, ruckman take a long time to develop, hell it took Maxy 7-8 seasons to come on! We only have him and King developing so we need one of them to come on.

Spencil is a write off. He's been on an AFL list for 8 years, is 26 going on 27 and can't even crack a game. Disappointing to see him put up a crap performance in the VFL Grand Final too. You'd think a bloke who's been on an AFL list would at least be able to step up against VFL talent but he was beaten yet again. We need other ruckman to come on ASAP and Filipovic could be an answer. Good luck to the kid!

In his defence (which goes against everything I just wrote) the VFL grand final was a terrible match up for Spencil. Minson is still as crafty as any AFL ruck and Spencil is still as dumb as a post. At AFL level Spencer could run him around and blow him up and lessen his influence, but the slower speed of the game at VFL level allowed Minson to stay with him. Plus he had Tom Campbell as back up where as Casey had young Oscar who was playing in by far the biggest game he'd played in and against by far the best opponent.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Vogon Poetry said:

I wish you'd told the FD this before the draft cos they probably don't know.  Just kidding.

The FD obviously have a lot more faith in Pencil than many here. 

I agree. Spencer will be fine.

• Like 1

Ponder this:

If Spencil was seriously a 2nd option no one would be debating it.

He isnt , and we are.

• Like 1

So, a lot of people on here would be forming their opinion based on the highlights reel.  So I might as well do the same.

This bloke reminded me of watching a young Jack Fitzpatrick.  His kicking style needs a blood lot of work.  In the dozen or so taps they showed, I reckon 30% were effective.  One thing that he does appear to have in his favour would be speed.

The Rookie Draft is such a lottery (more so than the National Draft), but we always seem to have that knack of finding a player.  Is it going to be this bloke?  I doubt it, but I wish him all the very best, and hope that he finds himself on the primary list on the coming years.  (FWIW, I made the same call about Max King about 3 years ago).

18 hours ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

This bloke isn't the answer to any of our needs next year. Dunno what we are going to do if Max goes down..We will be funked.still think we could have rookied a mature Ruckman. Not another bean pole who can't kick

Spencer will step up for the challenge if max needs a break or gets injured. 

Spencer isn't much worse then any other backup ruckman in the league 

• Like 5

Spencer is a 27 year old who has managed 36 games in 9 seasons. He is rubbish and is only on our list still because we literally have no one else if Gawn goes down. His last game was at VFL level and he got towered up by an old bloke who's retired!

We need more ruck depth and we got it with Filipovic. Hopefully he develops and makes the grade as until he or King does we are stuck with only Spencer as backup and that is not good enough. It's good to hear Maxy has been working with Flipovic already this year and has started building that relationship.

The young fella has only played the game for two years and he's found his way on to a AFL clubs rookie list.

If anything, this fact alone shows the massive scope this kid potentially has. 

Handy basketballer and soccer player.

Oozes talent and if Max says he's a hard worker then I'll back him in.

• Like 5

Spencer is insurance, a very, very cheap plan B.  He is not a best 22 player if Gawn is fit - that is obvious.

However, from a list management point of view, no top ruckman is going to stay on our list on the possibility of maybe getting a game if Gawn (the best ruckman in the league) injures himself.  Some people seem to be of the belief that we need to have Goldstein waiting in the wings.  Any decent ruckman that was on our list at the end of 2016 would have left the MFC first chance they got; cos they're not going to get a game while Gawn is fit.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Lord Travis said:

Spencer is a 27 year old who has managed 36 games in 9 seasons. He is rubbish and is only on our list still because we literally have no one else if Gawn goes down. His last game was at VFL level and he got towered up by an old bloke who's retired!

We need more ruck depth and we got it with Filipovic. Hopefully he develops and makes the grade as until he or King does we are stuck with only Spencer as backup and that is not good enough. It's good to hear Maxy has been working with Flipovic already this year and has started building that relationship.

Tell it how it is!

He's obviously not quite AFL quality, but at times when Spencer has had to shoulder the load, he has done a decent job. I actually think he's not too bad as a tap ruckman, but his skills and work around the ground does leave a lot to be desired.

Sidenote - after watching that highlight reel, Filipovic really needs to learn how to kick.

• Like 1

Just on Spencer, he is a tap ruckman who follows up with tackles. If Max was to go down, I dont believe that we would loose out dramatically on centre clearances from our mids. Our big issue would be the contested clunks that Gawn takes and his possessions. Yes he is not in the same league, but he is a very different player. Lets just hope Max doesnt go down. 

Plus Max would have given the all clear on Lachlan so interesting to see what Max sees in him. 

• Like 4

Anyway, back to the topic of a young lad called Lachlan...

He looks to be a pretty good athlete and not the stick-figure that many young rucks are to start with.  I suspect he'll wind up being a fairly hefty specimen.  I'm not overly worried about his kicking.  To my mind it's more his overall game that's the concern.  If they can take the raw material and develop him well then he could be a great pickup, but right now he's got a lot of work to do to keep learning how to play the game. 

• Like 3

He's a rookie ruckman pick so reality is that he's going to be raw and a bit of a project to develop, but I like that Max has been working with him and will now get to learn directly off him. 

Good luck to the lad. 

Edited by Pates
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dee-licious said:

Just on Spencer, he is a tap ruckman who follows up with tackles. If Max was to go down, I dont believe that we would loose out dramatically on centre clearances from our mids. Our big issue would be the contested clunks that Gawn takes and his possessions. Yes he is not in the same league, but he is a very different player. Lets just hope Max doesnt go down. 

Plus Max would have given the all clear on Lachlan so interesting to see what Max sees in him. 

I hope he sees more than Jack (Viney) did with Jimmy Toumpas.

Whilst Max might have been consulted I doubt his opinion would have carried the weight a lot on here seem to think.

• Like 1

Had a chat to Sandringham club mate last night about Lachlan. Said has worked really hard this year as he spent his 17th year injured. Filled out much more and they feel he has growth left in him. Very coachable and a very good kid. 

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Why is King still on the list I understand injuries etc but is he really going to make it?

3 hours ago, Dee-licious said:

Had a chat to Sandringham club mate last night about Lachlan. Said has worked really hard this year as he spent his 17th year injured. Filled out much more and they feel he has growth left in him. Very coachable and a very good kid. 

Do you mean (or did they mean) up, out or developmental?