FAREWELL CHRIS DAWES

dazzledavey36

Quality person and leader who has battled on one leg for our club during one of the darkest times in it's history. Has also put up with the type of "support" evidenced in this thread, and has not complained about any of those things once.

His calves will decide his future, but whatever happens I appreciate the clear impact he's had on our culture.

Edited by stuie
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, TheOxWhisperer said:

All you Dawes bashers out there need to take a good hard look at yourself. The bloke has no obligation to reject what we offered him so judging him based on his high wage is plain unfair. If your boss offered you a ridiculous pay rise would you reject it because you didn't think you were worth it?

He has played the majority of his games at the dees on one leg and goes as hard as anyone, despite his conditioning. He is not the most talented player to grace the afl, yet after last weekends effort it should be clear why it is fairer to judge a player on effort rather than outcomes. 

Effort alone seldom wins games, Being on one leg or two does not effect your ability to Mark the ball with your hands above your head, surely a major requirement for a KPF. He is not called "Old Iron Hands" for no reason.

I will concede that he has tried hard but that is not enough. We have de listed plenty of players who tried hard over the last three years ( and will again this year ).

They simply were not good enough to take us forward.

You have to be able to affect the result of games.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Redleg said:

Can I suggest we show a bit of respect to our players and don't slag off at them. Surely we can discuss someone leaving or a trade, without rubbishing a guy.

Particularly when the guy is super well regarded by the players and staff, and he has expressed his strong desire to stay at the club on a significantly reduced contract despite interest from other clubs, presumably on more lucrative terms

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, stuie said:

Quality person and leader who has battled on one leg for our club during one of the darkest times in it's history. Has also put up with the type of "support" evidenced in this thread, and has not complained about any of those things once.

His calves will decide his future, but whatever happens I appreciate the clear impact he's had on our culture.

He has been very well paid in the process stuie so lets not get too wrapped up in the poor Chris sympathy.

He has two glaring problems for a KPF he seldom marks over head and cannot kick more than forty metres.

Those would seem to be serious problems.

Thanks Chris but our future i.e. 2017 lies elsewhere.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, old dee said:

He has been very well paid in the process stuie so lets not get too wrapped up in the poor Chris sympathy.

He has two glaring problems for a KPF he seldom marks over head and cannot kick more than forty metres.

Those would seem to be serious problems.

Thanks Chris but our future i.e. 2017 lies elsewhere.

Wasn't sympathy, but respect.

And yes I've seen your numerous posts pointing out those weaknesses over and over.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, stuie said:

And yes I've seen your numerous posts pointing out those weaknesses over and over.

They are serious deficiencies that have been there his entire time at the MFC.

At 28 I doubt he is going to change.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, stuie said:

and his point is not diminished as a result...is it ?

13 hours ago, Daily Dose of Demons said:

I don't see the harm of giving Dawes a one year performance based contract. Either he gets his body right and plays some good footy at AFL level, or he isn't good enough or is injured and he spends time at Casey helping Weideman and Hulett develop. Don't see how we can lose out of this deal, especially with neither of the young forwards ready and if injury hit it would be good to have a strong back up to come in. 

Your wallet ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, old dee said:

They are serious deficiencies that have been there his entire time at the MFC.

At 28 I doubt he is going to change.

Yep, got that point from your opinion the last 17 times you posted it mate. Move on.

13 hours ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

Not anymore, the AFL have changed the rules WRT the points

cheers for heads up...must look into that

12 hours ago, Adzman said:

Nice bloke Dawes. Hoped his body would hold up and he could build form. The body never held up it's end of the bargain, and we never got to see what we hoped we would when we traded for him.

He will find his way onto an afl roster. Not sure if it will be ours though.

I'm not sure that's possible Adz. Have the feeling his injury woes have finally caught up with him, not just physically either. He might be forced to make the call himself at season's end 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheOxWhisperer said:

admittedly he is not the most skillful guy in the country, but with a full pre season, young list and susceptibility of some blokes to play like wet [censored] socks, what harm is there to offer a bloke with some ticker and finals experience a reduced deal for one year and see if he can get back to playing servicible footy. 

I can defiantly see why we would let him go too, though don't you think a guy who left a recent premier, came to a basket case and gave his all throughout deserves a little more respect than sneering comments about playing in (insert [censored] country team here)? 

yes watts has more upside and is a better player, but I'm defiantly more appreciative of dawesies 2013-15 than I am of jacks. If you could combine watts talent and durability with Dawes ability to consistently have a red hot crack we would have just about the best player in the league.

all I'm saying is get of your high horse and show the bloke some gratitude and respect.

G'day Dawesy, I admire your willingness to come on here and talk yourself up, but your time at the MFC is over. Time to move on gracefully (and take your friend Lumumba with you). Cheers.

12 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

It's either Dawes or the Pedo bear as far as I can tell. A forward line of Watts, Hogan and Weed just won't work yet without a big body putting on physical pressure. We saw how that worked on the weekend. It was interesting to see that Weed played fairly well with a mature, bullocking forward  in the team (as he had with Pedo against the Dawks) but was barely sighted without one.
On another note, Dawesy's cool head and willingness to come on board of the AFL's version of the Hindenburg has sometimes been underestimated around here. I will always remember that time when he fronted up to the presser with Neeld after we got beaten by the Toigs by six goals. That game was seen by some as nearly close to a victory by some and I remember Neeldy saying that he could at last coach if he was getting effort. It sounded like the justifications of a man who knew that he was drowning. I remember Dawesy almost had to set him straight at that very presser and set that effort was a non negotiable and that was a conversation that needn't be had. I found that fairly impressive but somewhat sad at the same time. It showed the leadership capabilities of Dawesy but also showed that the coaching staff had lost control of the playing group.

Also think the bear wins here. More reliable (less injury prone), better results generally, competitive beast and able to play multiple roles including ruck chop outs. Dawesy rarely rucks and is unfortunately, for various reasons, limited to playing a forward role only.

Do we consider Petrie or is that a fry pan option? Is Petrie fried? :lol:

Edited by Rusty Nails

14 hours ago, Daily Dose of Demons said:

I don't see the harm of giving Dawes a oneear performance based contract. Either he.  gets his body right and plays some good footy at AFL level, or he isn't good enough or is injured and he spends time at Casey helping Weideman and Hulett develop. Don't see how we can lose out of this deal, especially with neither of the young forwards ready and if injury hit it would be good to have a strong back up to come in. 

The harm could be that he doesn't play much at either level and takes up a spot plus coin for somoene who might be able to hit the ground running at either level.

The FD and Dawesy will no doubt be in discussions/tests etc as we speak. Dawesy seems like one of the most honest blokes you could meet. Doubt he would go on unless he felt he could add to the club's/team's future improvements going forward.   

13 minutes ago, Undeeterred said:

Is it yours?

Why do you care???

Prefer the money better spent.

You obviously dont

10 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Prefer the money better spent.

You obviously dont

That's not how your comment comes across. You (and others) often comment about how much players are 'worth' without any real anchor to the realities of how the salary cap works or an real idea of what players are paid, or what the market is for those players. How much a contract is worth has a direct bearing on whether it is a good idea, and you make blanket statements about 'money better spent' with no idea what we're talking about.

Better spent on what? What if we're paying him $20k a year?

12 minutes ago, Undeeterred said:

That's not how your comment comes across. You (and others) often comment about how much players are 'worth' without any real anchor to the realities of how the salary cap works or an real idea of what players are paid, or what the market is for those players. How much a contract is worth has a direct bearing on whether it is a good idea, and you make blanket statements about 'money better spent' with no idea what we're talking about.

We cannot it is below the minimum.

Of course how much someone is being paid counts.

If Play A is on 500k PA and Player B is on 200k and they are contributing the same to the team which ones get cut when it is a choice of the two?

1 minute ago, old dee said:

We cannot it is below the minimum.

Of course how much someone is being paid counts.

If Play A is on 500k PA and Player B is on 200k and they are contributing the same to the team which ones get cut when it is a choice of the two?

Let's assume for a moment I'm not a complete idiot.

Perhaps take off your Dawes Blinkers and go back and read my last post and see if you can work out what I was actually saying!

24 minutes ago, Undeeterred said:

that last bit perfectly describes the nonsense.

The Dawes experiment /chapter is well land truly over.  The resources are better placed towards a younger player with more upside as that seems to be the way the club is looking.  What point paying anyone, anything if they dont ADD to us winning games. Chris has been a decent servant without doubt but time has come.

Just now, beelzebub said:

that last bit perfectly describes the nonsense.

The Dawes experiment /chapter is well land truly over.  The resources are better placed towards a younger player with more upside as that seems to be the way the club is looking.  What point paying anyone, anything if they dont ADD to us winning games. Chris has been a decent servant without doubt but time has come.

This is what I'm talking about. What resources? You're making definitive statements with absolutely zero context.