WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JORDAN LEWIS

I see it all NOW

Fence Crystal Ball..........

I see.......

Lewis playing 59 games for Red and Blue and AND I SEE......................................................................

AND I SEEEE ..........

A PREMIERSHIP MEDALION AROUND HIS NECK!!!!

AND A SEA OF RED AND BLUE LONG SUFFERINGS ...SUFFERING .. NO MORE!!!!

BEGORRAH!!

:P

Edited by picket fence

2 hours ago, TGR said:

At least I predicted it 12-18 months ago; unlike the usual Johnny-cum-latelys that ring SEN and blog on here.

Yeah but you also predicted Cotchin would be the best midfielder in the game and Naitanui woud be "the best player the game has ever seen", lol, close...

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Abe said:

I know this will get howled down, but this is a guy who i think would have captained the Hawks in 2017, is co captains with Nathan Jones totally out of the question? obviously the players vote and all that and i am usually against new players getting in but surely this is a different set of circumstances, talking about a genuine A grade player and A grade leader.

Not howling you down by any means here Abe, but I think other than respect (which Lewis has from day 1) another ingredient to being a good captain has to be good established relationships and understanding of the majority of the team, which doesn't come quickly.  I think Jordan realises this and didn't seem to phased by the prospect of being captain or not, in fact the impression he gave was that he was relishing having that formal pressure taken off him, such that he could support, advise and provide leadership in the background rather than as the main man.

I also think his age is such that he is unlikely to become captain or VC in his time with us.  By the time he has established himself within the group, it would be almost time for him to move on and he would only be holding back others with the potential to fulfill the roles.  But I do see that he will be of high value in providing on and off field leadership without the title and in supporting and grooming our next gen of leaders such as Viney, Tommy Mac etc, such that they are ready when it becomes time.  Also as I think some of the coaches like Clarkson, Roos and perhaps Thompson recently acknowledged that one of the benifits of experienced teams was that it was like having a team of coaches out on the ground - when critical times in games arise, the players just know what to do, thus don't need the coach to send messages out which often don't get through in time - again I think this is the sort of leadership strength that Lewis can contribute rather than being given an official title.

I also think Nathan Jones is a great captain (which Lewis acknowledged) and his value to lead and teach our young list should also not be forgotten and overshadowed by our latest great acquisition.

• Like 1

Onto important matters - I liked the part in his press conference where Lewis was asked if he would be ringing up Christian Salem to ask him if he would be give him the number 3.  

Lewis politely declined and I do like his humbleness and humility, but it does beg the question of what jumper number should he get?

My first thought, with it looking likely Dunn to Collingwood was he would be a great candidate for 14, but thinking that through, 14 is probably a more natural fit with Hibbard as a backman.

So moving on I'm now thinking probably No.6 (assuming Dawes is gone) or otherwise 45 has been a good number for some good MFC players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goodvibes said:

Viney

Tyson

Salem

Kent

Bugg

Kennedy

Newton

and now Lewis all left footers and soon

Hibberd plus

Watts

Vince

Brayshaw

who are equally comfortable on their left peg.

I like it.

These guys will all be gone soon if we're serious.

7 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

Wow. Lewis on Trade radio being interviewed by Barret. Someone find the link, in the meantime I'll paraphrase.

"I see Hawthorn of the early 2000s in Melbourne"

I said the same thing on here when we beat them. Obviously Jordan reads Demonland.

And we can now thank Scully for Hogan and Lewis.

• Like 3

Will be interesting to see how the midfield roles shake out.. if all our mids are available, we will have a plethora of inside mids.  It may be that Brayshaw is used in an outside role for the next couple of seasons with the view of taking over for Lewis down the track. 

Can see Vince being used as an outside mid too, and Petracca will spend a fair bit of time forward.

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Roos, commenting from sunny Hawaii, thinks it is a great get for the Demons and will accelerate our charge for the finals.  He can't believe Hawks let Mitchell and Lewis go in the same year. 

He went on to say:  “They’re a great club Hawthorn, we have got the greatest respect for them, but to lose Mitchell for pick No.88, there’s got to be something more to it that we don’t know that’s going in.”  

...a not too oblique reference to there being something else in the background of the trade...interesting from Roos as he never gives that sort of comment...maybe the Hawaii sun has got to him a little bit...:cool:

Anyway, good to see him taking an interest.

The spin that's starting to emerge is that it's clearing a salary cap path for Fyfe and Martin to join the Hawks next year. But maybe it's just a sophisticated form of tanking. Not that the Hawks would ever do that, obviously.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Goodvibes said:

Viney

Tyson

Salem

Kent

Bugg

Kennedy

Newton

Hibberd plus

Watts

Vince

Brayshaw

I like it.

Probably the least elite collection of left foot kicks in the AFL.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr John Dee said:

The spin that's starting to emerge is that it's clearing a salary cap path for Fyfe and Martin to join the Hawks next year. But maybe it's just a sophisticated form of tanking. Not that the Hawks would ever do that, obviously.

A fully fit O'Meara, Mitchell, Fyfe, Martin.

That's quite a midfield.

With the big coin that O'Meara/Mitchell/Hackory have been signed up on this year, I cannot for the life of me see how they could possibly afford Fyfe and Dusty also.

If we couldn't, how the hell could they?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

TGR

The positive is that we paid nothing, but on-field Lewis will under-deliver.  That 3rd year will be a complete waste of money, but many will say that is what it took to get him here.

Yes, our 3rd man-up at ball-ups will be more unpredictable with Watts and Lewis floating around Gawn.  

Sam Mitchell is an A+ grade on-baller, and had an A grade year.  On the surface, Lewis is just beneath him....right?  Well how come Hawthorn get pulverised in contested ball?  Not beaten.  Pulverised.

The footy world and our supporters are delusional if they think Lewis at 31/32, with no speed, leap, change-of-direction feathers, will be anything more than a good-ordinary player.

I hope we reap the rewards off-field (leadership, mentoring, marketing); because it wont be on-field.

Heh.

1/ If the Hawks slide then maybe those guys will look elsewhere. Sometimes teams go from chocolates to boiled lollies in the blink of an eye. We did it. Freo did it. Brisbane did it. Carlton did it.. etc etc...

2/ How big a seeling point is it when your pitch is 'we like the look of you kid... we think you'll be a club champ. So here is a lot of money, but I'm warning you... if we see one wrinkle then out the door you go like the hobo we'll treat you as...

3/ Where is the rest of the lists incentive to take pay cuts or at least no rises to 'keep the band together'? Loyalty is a two way street. How do you convince an 18 year old high draft pick not to look at better offers when he is 20 after he has seen what happened to such champions of the club, and hears older players bitching that their mates were pretty badly treated by a club they brought so much success to?

I get that Hawthorn can see the need to rejuvinate, but how much will they gain from this as opposed to losing from it? Would it have killed them to have arranged it so these players could have had a farewell game and enjoy one last thank you from the fans? I put North in the same boat with Boomer. One more season, we'll get you to 450, and then we'll chair you off the ground. Sometimes the wins you don't get today by doing the right things are the flags you get 5 years because you did.

Dunno... Baby out with the bathwater moment for me. Yes, the club is always bigger than the players, but the way the club treats players isn't...

Anyway, enough waxing lyrical... Glad to have a soon to be 7 times premiership player at the club, and look forward to the hashtag # free kick Lewis

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I will never thank that rodent $cully for anything.

Well he did leave. We offered him a big whack to stay and he chose a bigger whack.

Imagine if he had have stayed? Our situation would not be anywhere near where it is now.

• Like 1

This doesn't have to be win/lose.

whorethorn need to rejuvenate, and move on players that will probably have 2 years or less at elite level.  They still have heaps of 'experience'.  Trade in for youth and talent, which they lack.

Demons, with heaps of talent, trade in experience and a couple of years of elite/ near elite footy smarts, to work with a highly talented (but inexperienced) list.  We pay a third year with a 50/50 chance that JL runs around at Casey, and takes a CrossType role.

still doesn't explain paying big coin for Vickery, who I would have behind Fitzy on their list (and that is not very far forward!)

Dees can get real value out of this.  Cost us so little in the trade, and 3 years is perhaps a little long, but I reckon he will thoroughly prove his value.

11 hours ago, Goodvibes said:

Viney

Tyson

Salem

Kent

Bugg

Kennedy

Newton

Hibberd plus

Watts

Vince

Brayshaw

I like it.

So do i. Alot.

I have said it many times. Having a good number of quality left footers is super valuable in today's footy. Call it the Hawthorn template.

46 minutes ago, TGR said:

The positive is that we paid nothing, but on-field Lewis will under-deliver.  That 3rd year will be a complete waste of money, but many will say that is what it took to get him here.

Yes, our 3rd man-up at ball-ups will be more unpredictable with Watts and Lewis floating around Gawn.  

Sam Mitchell is an A+ grade on-baller, and had an A grade year.  On the surface, Lewis is just beneath him....right?  Well how come Hawthorn get pulverised in contested ball?  Not beaten.  Pulverised.

The footy world and our supporters are delusional if they think Lewis at 31/32, with no speed, leap, change-of-direction feathers, will be anything more than a good-ordinary player.

I hope we reap the rewards off-field (leadership, mentoring, marketing); because it wont be on-field.

Clue....

2 minutes ago, Uncle Fester said:

Not trying to be smart, but are you the bloke that told us all that you had had enough and were off to support the tigers, or am I thinking of someone else?

The guy who sold shares in the demons the night we lost the Freo final in 2006?  

Yeh thats me.

1 hour ago, faultydet said:

Probably the least elite collection of left foot kicks in the AFL.

So which club boasts an elite collection of left foot kicks?

Lewis, Salem and Kent are all good kicks. Viney is improving and Tyson is an elite long kick and not so good over shorter distances. Add Brayshaw and Vince who are genuinely duel-sided and the point I'm making is that our midfield group has a unique quality.

• Like 2