Where's rpfc?

John Crow Batty

12 hours ago, P-man said:

Probably had a gutful of the place. We've all been there at some point.

Maybe we can lure him back by trading out another reg. Not naming names but it starts with s and rhymes with pooey.

Luke Shuey is a regular here?.....

Oh.

• Like 8

What I find tricky these days is that there doesn't seem to be a way to see who has changed their username. The old forum version had a username history so that you could figure out who was now who. 

Sometimes when a user changes their name it takes me a few weeks to figure it out by the style of their posts (or the players they like/dislike). 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Robot Devil said:

What I find tricky these days is that there doesn't seem to be a way to see who has changed their username. The old forum version had a username history so that you could figure out who was now who. 

Sometimes when a user changes their name it takes me a few weeks to figure it out by the style of their posts (or the players they like/dislike). 

Yes that's a feature I wish could be restored.

Gnasher??

1 hour ago, america de cali said:

Can be off puzzling when a stranger appears with 6743 posts to their credit and it takes a while to figure out who it is.

You used to be able to see their name change history in their profile, but it looks like that's been moved out of the public profile and in to the admin only ones, unless I've missed it.

I agree though.  There's a guy who currently posts as "Abe" who have had about 10 name changes!

• Like 2

Interesting, it appears that people on this site do care about one another, at least for some. 

There is an interest and a familiarity with some posters, The passionate, the enthusiastic, the analytical, the argumentative, the pedantic, the hateful, the depressives, the fence sitters, the fickle, the eccentric, the offbeat, and so the list goes on. Some posters are entirely predictable and some sway like the gum trees and can surprise you with their change of heart. 

I guess its like everything in life. Sometimes we move on and sometimes we don't. Think of what we were doing 5 or 10 years ago, or 20 or 30 years ago. Most of us are doing different things, have disposed of activities, friends, houses and material possessions. Changed partners, wives, lovers, Changed jobs, lost jobs, taken up new pleasures. Changed drinking habits and other activities. 

Some posters simply change habits or behaviour and move on. When we get tired of some activities, we stop them and move on or stop them for a time and have a break to return at a later time. 

However, supporting the Demons for most of us is a life long passion. We will never support anyone else and we all want to see a flag before we die. We are steadfast and it is permanent feature of our being.  Demonland is an interesting distraction that fills in some time between our other more important activities.

Eventually if we stay along long enough, we will all have a permanent holiday.  As Lord Krishna once observed, we are not the materail body but a spirit soul. 

• Like 20

3 minutes ago, hemingway said:

The passionate (AngryDee), the enthusiastic (TazLvr), the analytical (Grapeviney), the argumentative (Can't think of any here...), the pedantic (Wiseblood), the hateful (ProDee), the depressives (SWYL), the fence sitters (hardtack), the fickle (Dazzle), the eccentric (ENYAW), the offbeat (Tony Tea), and so the list goes on.

3 minutes ago, hemingway said:

Interesting, it appears that people on this site do care about one another, at least for some. 

There is an interest and a familiarity with some posters, The passionate, the enthusiastic, the analytical, the argumentative, the pedantic, the hateful, the depressives, the fence sitters, the fickle, the eccentric, the offbeat, and so the list goes on. Some posters are entirely predictable and some sway like the gum trees and can surprise you with their change of heart. 

I guess its like everything in life. Sometimes we move on and sometimes we don't. Think of what we were doing 5 or 10 years ago, or 20 or 30 years ago. Most of us are doing different things, have disposed of activities, friends, houses and material possessions. Changed partners, wives, lovers, Changed jobs, lost jobs, taken up new pleasures. Changed drinking habits and other activities. 

Some posters simply change habits or behaviour and move on. When we get tired of some activities, we stop them and move on or stop them for a time and have a break to return at a later time. 

However, supporting the Demons for most of us is a life long passion. We will never support anyone else and we all want to see a flag before we die. We are steadfast and it is permanent feature of our being.  Demonland is an interesting distraction that fills in some time between our other more important activities.

Eventually if we stay along long enough, we will all have a permanent holiday.  As Lord Krishna once observed, we are not the materail body but a spirit soul. 

I love the 'community' aspect of forums.  It's what drew me to throw Demonland a lifeline when it was flagging 11 years ago and keep the admin work up, even though I am far more time poor than I was when I took it up.  

I find I too do build a picture of persona for people who post here a lot that flows through their writing.  There are two particularly prolific posters who have been known to open new accounts on occasion.  One of those people once accused me of matching IP addresses to spot them, but it's just that for some people, their style of writing is as recognisable as a face to me.  To that end, I do notice when people stop coming and I wonder about them, and I'd noted rpfc's absence too.  He was a poster I found with opinions that generally aligned with mine, and felt like a mate in the trenches with me during the Scully saga (we lost that battle and the war though).

Anyway, I recognise the shallowness of forum relationships since you actually don't know who the person really, but I do find myself going, "gee this is going to wind P_Man up", or "ProDee is probably going to call me a flog for this" or "Samael's posted in the VFL game thread, I'm about to read about how well Michie went"; it's not that different to real human discussion for me.  

Anyway, as someone who hardly knows any real life Melbourne fans, I love being able to share a common interest with people, learn from people who know far more about footy than me, hopefully put down a strong argument here and there, and share the love when we're winning and look hot.  This site has given a more hardcore edge to barracking for and supporting Melbourne than I would have had otherwise.

• Like 21

1 minute ago, Mach5 said:

Does anyone else think of posters looking exactly like their avatars (in your head at least)?

in fact, it's downright annoying when ppl don't have one. Better get my act together.

Yes.  I'm going to be really disappointed if I ever meet Clint Bizkit and he doesn't look like a cross between Clint Bizzell and Fred Durst.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I love the 'community' aspect of forums.  It's what drew me to throw Demonland a lifeline when it was flagging 11 years ago and keep the admin work up, even though I am far more time poor than I was when I took it up.  

I find I too do build a picture of persona for people who post here a lot that flows through their writing.  There are two particularly prolific posters who have been known to open new accounts on occasion.  One of those people once accused me of matching IP addresses to spot them, but it's just that for some people, their style of writing is as recognisable as a face to me.  To that end, I do notice when people stop coming and I wonder about them, and I'd noted rpfc's absence too.  He was a poster I found with opinions that generally aligned with mine, and felt like a mate in the trenches with me during the Scully saga (we lost that battle and the war though).

Anyway, I recognise the shallowness of forum relationships since you actually don't know who the person really, but I do find myself going, "gee this is going to wind P_Man up", or "ProDee is probably going to call me a [censored] for this" or "Samael's posted in the VFL game thread, I'm about to read about how well Michie went"; it's not that different to real human discussion for me.  

Anyway, as someone who hardly knows any real life Melbourne fans, I love being able to share a common interest with people, learn from people who know far more about footy than me, hopefully put down a strong argument here and there, and share the love when we're winning and look hot.  This site has given a more hardcore edge to barracking for and supporting Melbourne than I would have had otherwise.

Nasher you are to be thanked for the work that you have done and continue to do on this site. Your comments are spot on. You do learn about people, their personalities and attitudes. You learn more about others than you do about yourself. You also learn a lot about footy. I am not only amazed but also informed by so many folk on this site. Posters analysis of players and the team, match games etc are far and above my own analysis which tends to be more emotional. I have never been one for detail but I find a lot of the stuff informative, even if I disagree with some of the comments.

For me the most important thing is to respect the opinion of others (wherever possible!) 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Does anyone else think of posters looking exactly like their avatars (in your head at least)?

in fact, it's downright annoying when ppl don't have one. Better get my act together.

Yep, I picture BBO exactly as his avatar.

I'm fine if people want to picture me as David Tennant, he is a sexy, sexy man.

I however do not picture Nasher as a man-fusion of Brayshaw and Petracca. To me, Nasher will always be buck nekked and dripping wet from his shower.

Edit: just re-read this. I feel like it might be the most homoerotic post I've ever written.

I love Demonland :D

Edited by Choke
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Choke said:

Yep, I picture BBO exactly as his avatar.

I'm fine if people want to picture me as David Tennant, he is a sexy, sexy man.

I however do not picture Nasher as a man-fusion of Brayshaw and Petracca. To me, Nasher will always be buck nekked and dripping wet from his shower.

Edit: just re-read this. I feel like it might be the most homoerotic post I've ever written.

I love Demonland :D

The pure footy avatars just destroy the illusion for me.

Can anyone guide me to the avatar setup help thread I recall being on here? Using my phone as I'm laid up in bed, & couldn't spot it.

14 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

I once organised a date with Ben Hur once.  Looked nothing like Kate Upton in real life.

But I'm with you, Mach, with some posters I do picture their avatar speaking their post to me.  It's part of the reason why can never take anything Ethan says seriously, why I picture Ernest smoking a pipe while he is typing, why I feel dirty when I read Uncle Bitters contributions, and feel slightly aroused when I read something from Munga.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Django said:

Speaking of Rhino Richards, I'm still carrying a demerit point from the days when he was handing them out like they were going out of fashion. Any chance of having this removed Nash?

Hahaha so do i. I think he gave me 9 in one day for something he didn't like. 

I wish i had kept all the PM's he sent me. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Mach I think I might be the only one but my AV is a pic of my good self. At the Dee's Freo game from '08.

• Like 5