Tom Rockliff

Whispering_Jack

2 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

is  "we never spoke to rockliff"  like saying "the coach has our full support" or "he is a required player" etc

No, I don't think so.  Senior management are forced to tell public lies about their own coaches and players in order to avoid serious disruption - usually in a situation that is already volatile.  

I can't see any realistic motivation for Mahoney to lie about talking to Rockliff.  

• Like 1

Just now, Nasher said:

No, I don't think so.  Senior management are forced to tell public lies about their own coaches and players in order to avoid serious disruption - usually in a situation that is already volatile.  

I can't see any realistic motivation for Mahoney to lie about talking to Rockliff.  

was a very fat tongue in cheek, nasher :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nasher said:

The unusual variable in this situation being the "Attitude issues" but i agree, while i am sure we would have scoped the situation out, i doubt we were ever really genuinely interested unless his price dropped significantly. 

23 minutes ago, stuie said:

Mahoney on Trade Radio: "We never spoke to Rockliff".

The end.

We isn't I.

We could be construed as the person he is talking to at the time, and I

14 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Mahoney asks Rocky's manager how much he's asking and it's way above budget.

We're not interested in Rockliff. We never spoke to him.

Due diligence and honesty.

Is it too late to start a Kickstarter or GoFundMe campaign?

55 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

"we" probably did talk to his manager though, and it never got enough traction to talk to rockliff himself (for whatever reasons)

Mahoney stated this morning that we already had enough of his type and want to keep getting games into our developing youth, so Rockliff wasn't of interest.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Mahoney stated this morning that we already had enough of his type and want to keep getting games into our developing youth, so Rockliff wasn't of interest.

we heard what mahoney said, (and i don't doubt it) but it wasn't necessarily the full picture. he said enough for public consumption.....that's all

8 minutes ago, ProDee said:

you can never ever have enough "Good" midfielders.

The only question was price (salary) and what we would have to give away.

My only surprise about Rockcliff is that some other club was not seriously interested. Perhaps there is a reason.

If he is a free agent next year and walks Brisbane will probably get a good compensatory pick which is likely to be better than anything most clubs could offer them.

Rockcliff's 2017 salary to Brisbane is probably irrelevant..... they have to spend it on someone

Just some thoughts............

4 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

we heard what mahoney said, (and i don't doubt it) but it wasn't necessarily the full picture. he said enough for public consumption.....that's all

Nah, we had zero interest and I'm not sure why you and others are desperate, yes desperate, to think otherwise. 

Mahoney has been doing this for a number of years now and I can't recall one occasion during trade week when he hasn't been frank about where Melbourne stood with regard to interest in other players.  I'm very happy to take him at his word, especially when there is nothing to be gained by fabrications.  

And in the post trade wind up, which we're nearly at and are certainlky at when it comes to Rockliff, there is zero reason for him to say we never had any interest.

But by all means hold on to your view that there was more at play (for whatever reason you decide).

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Nah, we had zero interest and I'm not sure why you and others are desperate, yes desperate, to think otherwise. 

Mahoney has been doing this for a number of years now and I can't recall one occasion during trade week when he hasn't been frank about where Melbourne stood with regard to interest in other players.  I'm very happy to take him at his word, especially when there is nothing to be gained by fabrications.  

And in the post trade wind up, which we're nearly at and are certainlky at when it comes to Rockliff, there is zero reason for him to say we never had any interest.

But by all means hold on to your view that there was more at play (for whatever reason you decide).

Do you believe the club did it's due Diligence on Tom? 

7 minutes ago, ProDee said:

no,no, pro dee, you misunderstand me. i'm not saying we had a lot of interest, just that there *may* be more than said of the reasons why we weren't interested, such as culture issues, asking salary, asking trade, acquisition of lewis etc all or some of which might have meant we didn't get past stage 1. but i'm sure we at least had a sniff, like we would do with any player potentially on the market.......that's all i'm saying. i would agree that it probably didn't progress very far at all, but we don't know the whole story and probably never will. 

7 minutes ago, jeck wartz said:

Do you believe the club did it's due Diligence on Tom? 

I think the club does it's due diligence on every player in the competition, particularly ones coming out of contract or into FA...

That doesn't mean that we talk with them all, their club or management.

In this case I think we would have had the discussion internally and said no. He doesn't suit our current needs.

I don't understand why people don't want to take Mahoney at his word at this stage, but I guess everyone can believe what they want.

• Like 3

Just now, rjay said:

I think the club does it's due diligence on every player in the competition, particularly ones coming out of contract or into FA...

That doesn't mean that we talk with them all, their club or management.

In this case I think we would have had the discussion internally and said no. He doesn't suit our current needs.

I don't understand why people don't want to take Mahoney at his word at this stage, but I guess everyone can believe what they want.

I think you misunderstand me rjay, i have come out and said i didn't believe a trade was ever in the cards.

I do think there is a difference between having zero interest whatsoever in a player and where we would have been with Tom though

for example, i think we'd have zero interest whatsoever in bringing in Jay Shultz, but Tom i think we'd more than likely have asked either Brisbane or his management to explain the situation, given he's a quality player and his trade price may have been lower than most clubs would have expected. 

he may never have been any sort of chance to come to the dees but i think this is the type of situation it's better to be informed on before ruling a player in or out

1 minute ago, jeck wartz said:

I think you misunderstand me rjay, i have come out and said i didn't believe a trade was ever in the cards.

I do think there is a difference between having zero interest whatsoever in a player and where we would have been with Tom though

for example, i think we'd have zero interest whatsoever in bringing in Jay Shultz, but Tom i think we'd more than likely have asked either Brisbane or his management to explain the situation, given he's a quality player and his trade price may have been lower than most clubs would have expected. 

he may never have been any sort of chance to come to the dees but i think this is the type of situation it's better to be informed on before ruling a player in or out

No, I understand you. I just don't think we had the conversation with him, his manager or Brisbane.

Yes, discussed him internally and ruled him out. Next...

I know for a fact that a player we were said to be into last year wasn't even approached by the club.

Not even one phone call to any related party.

Sometimes players don't fit the plan.

1 minute ago, rjay said:

No, I understand you. I just don't think we had the conversation with him, his manager or Brisbane.

Yes, discussed him internally and ruled him out. Next...

I know for a fact that a player we were said to be into last year wasn't even approached by the club.

Not even one phone call to any related party.

Sometimes players don't fit the plan.

fair enough, i suppose we will never know for sure.