Should the AFL lead on Social Issues

Diamond_Jim

Just now, AzzKikA said:

That whole post i wrote and you come back with some juvenile response, then insult me, and you want people to listen to you to help society see the error of their ways.  Why should people listen to you when you are no better than the rest of us?  So you are fine with the way you go about trying to lead others away from their prejudices?

19 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

And white middle class men.

Sorry, what were you saying about short, insulting posts?

Have a look at this thread and tell me how well the "leading gently by the hand" approach is working. I'm not going to apologize for you finding it confronting to have people point things out to you and others in blunt terms. In this very thread you have someone asking why there's no "white peoples round", another poster who longs for the "good old days" where women knew their place and poster after poster complaining simply because the AFL is trying to raise awareness on certain issues. You seem like more of a thinker than some of the other participants in this thread, have another read of the responses here and see where it's coming from and that will tell you how far we have to go. Or just be like the rest of them and say "nah mate, everything's great, I go to the footy to forget that other people have problems, if you don't like this country then you can get out, I'm all fine, so they shouldn't complain".

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

Have a look at this thread and tell me how well the "leading gently by the hand" approach is working. I'm not going to apologize for you finding it confronting to have people point things out to you and others in blunt terms. In this very thread you have someone asking why there's no "white peoples round", another poster who longs for the "good old days" where women knew their place and poster after poster complaining simply because the AFL is trying to raise awareness on certain issues. You seem like more of a thinker than some of the other participants in this thread, have another read of the responses here and see where it's coming from and that will tell you how far we have to go. Or just be like the rest of them and say "nah mate, everything's great, I go to the footy to forget that other people have problems, if you don't like this country then you can get out, I'm all fine, so they shouldn't complain".

Stuie the Human Race is always going to smash itself to bits.

Look at what happened in Nice this morning. People were mowed down by a Semi Trailer full of bombs

you are searching  and wanting for Nirvana

It aint there

Footy was great when you could just Roll up and forget the real world for an afternoon. 

Now the AFL shoves PC messages down our throats weekly, whilst telling us to Bet every 40 seconds  

I hate betting. Why can't we have an Anti Betting Round?

The AFL wouldn't approve that...

2 faced Bastards

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, stuie said:

I don't think anyone has suggested AFL players replace parents as educators, not sure where that's come from.

Stuie, just refuting your claim that the AFL do clinics and promotions around the theme round games.  Mate the AFL players get to the club it is all about footy and their club, nothing to do with the Social Themes.

The AFL is so far removed from local football, they offer little to no support to local clubs. 

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

Stuie the Human Race is always going to smash itself to bits.

Look at what happened in Nice this morning. People were mowed down by a Semi Trailer full of bombs

you are searching  and wanting for Nirvana

It aint there

Footy was great when you could just Roll up and forget the real world for an afternoon. 

Now the AFL shoves PC messages down our throats weekly, whilst telling us to Bet every 40 seconds  

I hate betting. Why can't we have an Anti Betting Round?

The AFL wouldn't approve that...

2 faced Bastards

The world will never be perfect, you're right there, but it can be better. Just look at how far we've come since the 50s.

If you feel like you're getting PC messages shoved down your throat then it says a lot about why it needs to happen. For your initial reaction to be like that says you're taking it personally, reflecting a sense of guilt and shame that you don't want to confront.

I totally agree about the betting by the way.

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

They should have a tokenistic round for the permanently outraged and maligned white man.

I think I could get behind that. In fact if they don't do it I will be outraged.

• Like 2

Just now, stuie said:

Where is the insult?  Is it because indirectly i called you a racist? Please tell me how it was a short insulting post so i can understand, i am idiotic after all.

You wouldn't know what leading by the hand means, you do not do it, straight for the throat is your tactics, you said it yourself in the underlined statement.

I never asked for an apology, nor do i want one, I do not mind  lot of what you say, just how you go about it.

You know the people that will never change their ways, and there will be a lot of them, but your continued forcefulness does not help people to see things the way we all know we should but some find hard to accept and others completely disregard.

You will not change your approach, so why should they change their views....is it really that hard to understand or do you need to join Biffen and I in Idioticville?

2 minutes ago, drdrake said:

Stuie, just refuting your claim that the AFL do clinics and promotions around the theme round games.  Mate the AFL players get to the club it is all about footy and their club, nothing to do with the Social Themes.

The AFL is so far removed from local football, they offer little to no support to local clubs. 

I think you are onto something here drdrake

The clinics are in my understanding aimed mainly at the younger children. Time the AFL seriously interacted with the 14-17 year age group at grass roots levels and not only at the elite level.

1 minute ago, stuie said:

The world will never be perfect, you're right there, but it can be better. Just look at how far we've come since the 50s.

If you feel like you're getting PC messages shoved down your throat then it says a lot about why it needs to happen. For your initial reaction to be like that says you're taking it personally, reflecting a sense of guilt and shame that you don't want to confront.

The AFL is The Australian Football League. That is what it should promote. Get the game right. 

Full time Umpires for a start. The standard is apalling this year. The ball can be disposed any way at all now. It is a joke. 

Leave Political Issues about Society alone. The fact that we have so many Blackfellas playing so well is enough. 

9 minutes ago, drdrake said:

Literally the first couple of links to come up in google...

Have a look through the links here, and a read about the partner programs and the U16 competitions.

http://www.aflcommunityclub.com.au/index.php?id=604

And here's a bunch of things the Hawks did including a clinic run by Shaun Burgoyne.

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/3111131/hawks-mark-afls-indigenous-round/

Feel free to google for yourself, these are just the first couple that came up.

25 minutes ago, stuie said:

You think i have guilt and shame i do not wish to confront?

Bloody big statement that. 

I have to deal with a lot of stuff every day that you would find very hard to cope with. That i know. 

The footy used to be a place to forget for a while...

It's kind of ironic that the institutions that should "leave political issues aside" are the ones internally at the forefront of providing adequate discrimination awareness training for their employees. It's a shame that it's not as widespread in the community, unless you've signed up to study or work in a place that does provide it. The school system really should catch it early on, but hasn't in the past for whatever reason. It's good that schools are the ones that are now at the forefront of anti-discrimination measures.

2 hours ago, stuie said:

I

now you are an expert on the 50's :lol:

did your grandfather tell you all about it or did you find a leave it to beaver vid on youtube?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stuie said:

You gotta be kidding Stu!

The 50's were the good old days. Good music. Uncomplicated world. The Dees won some flags.

The only real issue was that the pizz was turned off at 6.00 pm.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

You gotta be kidding Stu!

The 50's were the good old days. Good music. Uncomplicated world. The Dees won some flags.

The only real issue was that the pizz was turned off at 6.00 pm.

but you could always go to dicky reardons in richmond and line up behind the cops for sly grog

6 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

but you could always go to dicky reardons in richmond and line up behind the cops for sly grog

My dad used to Rock up to Lindsay Fox's home. They had a very good Brewing Business back in the 50's!!

7 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

Correct dc but as you will also remember the need for an illegal Sunday beer went well beyond the 50's.

I remember some difficulties in the 70's! However "a pleasant Sunday morning" was generally available during footy season. I do also remember a particularly desperate group of social misfits who used to refer to the Sunday morning [censored] up as "church". ( sorry for the blasphemy Stu)

9 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Correct dc but as you will also remember the need for an illegal Sunday beer went well beyond the 50's.

I remember some difficulties in the 70's! However "a pleasant Sunday morning" was generally available during footy season. I do also remember a particularly desperate group of social misfits who used to refer to the Sunday morning [censored] up as "church". ( sorry for the blasphemy Stu)

and there was all those seedy joints in st kilda where you could drink to midnight if you bought a meal, so they sold a $2 plate of a cold chicken wing (was probably about 20c though in those days)

• Like 1

On 15 July 2016 at 2:36 PM, Biffen said:

They should have a tokenistic round for the permanently outraged and maligned white man.

I think I could get behind that. In fact if they don't do it I will be outraged.

Now that is one I could support Biffen but I won't be holding my breath.

what colours should we adopt?

It has surely reached the joke stage there is almost one every round.

AFL tokenism has gone beyond the laughable stage.

Are they a Football competition or a social engineering organisation?

• Like 1

The afl should champion sportsmanlike conduct

The attempted humiliation of opponents when they make mistakes or get beat is punished in the nfl but in the afl and in sledging in cricket we condone boganism

On 6/30/2016 at 3:03 PM, Diamond_Jim said:

This is a topic I have thought about for some time. Politics and Sport are mixed and have been since at least the days of the anti apartheid movement. It is far too late to unscramble that egg and I do not think we need to try.

That being said is the AFL trying to fix too many of society's ills and in the course of so doing risks turning what should be serious debates into one off "themed rounds." Dare I say it but I think the Anzac round is detracting from what is a perhaps one of our most sacred traditions and that is a remembrance of war by the remembrance of an ignominious defeat.

Anyway what prompted me to post is another article in the Australian version of the Guardian which touches on this and other subjects. Not sure if I agree that the AFL taking up these issues is leading to a disengagement by fans but perhaps we are becoming tired of another week and another cause. This used to be known as "charity fatigue" or similar.

Here is the article and as usual the comments by readers are well worth a look.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jun/30/inside-50-the-winter-of-afl-discontent-may-not-be-too-far-away

Well I for one am sick of the stuffing around with club uniforms for this or that cause or for charities in general. The AFL should form a heritage commission to hopefully stop clubs changing or defacing club jumpers or sox. The amount of suburban or country clubs running around with stupid american type cartoons on their uniforms is rife. The West Coast eagles started the rot in the then VFL with their dumb looking wings design. End of rant.