Nifty Nev Jetta

Middymalt

could be the point to setting responsible performance based salaries with long term outcomes based on personal and team success with  consideration of factors such as injury. 

Nev may have improved his performance because he was kept "hungry'. Rookied and not picked up by any one else he had to perform. His personal improvement is certainly testimony to his talent and hard work. Hemingway makes the right points about the altruistic reward and these need to be factored in.however that team success has to be the most important factor in setting a price. That cannot be done in advance. reward future performance in the future not in advance.

3 hours ago, Jesse Christ said:

What's the most a small defender is worth? He's in the premium bracket that's for sure. 4-500k?

Heath Shaws on big bucks.

11 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

I think he will get more than 400k a year with the cap going up.

I hope not, he plays his role well but let's keep things in perspective, he's a small defender. Can he play on ball? Pay him 400k by all means, if the likes of Petracca/Viney/Hogan/Oliver etc were a little bit older he'd be down around 300k.

I do like him and I do rate him but let's not get carried away.

3 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Hogan

Watts

Gawn

Viney

Vince

Oliver

What? Oliver will be a gun but McDonald and Jones are more important this season. McDonald goes down who is our #1 tall defender? His brother? Who's is our 2nd tall then, Dunn who we don't even want to pick. Oliver goes down we still have Viney, Vince, Jones etc doing the clearance work. We are good at stoppages, rubbish down back.

Even if McDonald doesn't go down, if Frost plays the remainder of the season in defence he could be our no.1 tall defender by years end. Many will disagree and that's fine.

As for the rest of your post, you've actually supported my point, if we were to lose a number of mids to injury coukd Jetta step up into the middle, if Jetta went down could we put one of our mids down to the back pocket....yes.

4 hours ago, Ricky P said:

I actually said this bloke was the worst player to pull on a Melbourne jumper at the start of his career. Love the way he's turned it around. Now one of my favourites. Happy to eat humble pie!

I've eaten so much humble pie of Jetta I know weight 11kg more than when we rookied him and I called it something like the worst decision in the clubs history. But, in my defence at the time it was.

He has turned his career 180 degrees since that moment.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

I hope not, he plays his role well but let's keep things in perspective, he's a small defender. Can he play on ball? Pay him 400k by all means, if the likes of Petracca/Viney/Hogan/Oliver etc were a little bit older he'd be down around 300k.

I do like him and I do rate him but let's not get carried away.

If the league average is around $350,000, would you give him less?

15 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Even if McDonald doesn't go down, if Frost plays the remainder of the season in defence he could be our no.1 tall defender by years end. Many will disagree and that's fine.

As for the rest of your post, you've actually supported my point, if we were to lose a number of mids to injury coukd Jetta step up into the middle, if Jetta went down could we put one of our mids down to the back pocket....yes.

Are you suggesting one of our mids could stand Betts, Wingard and those types? I don't think they could. Nev is also good at leaving his man as 3rd man up and has good rebounding skills now. If any single of our mids go down we have others like them. Viney who is our best player missed and the slack was picked up by Tyson, Vince and Jones.

Jetta goes down and we lose the only defender that we can count on beating his opponent week and week. He isn't our most important player, but he is top 5 at the moment. 

15 minutes ago, Demonated said:

Are you suggesting one of our mids could stand Betts, Wingard and those types? I don't think they could. Nev is also good at leaving his man as 3rd man up and has good rebounding skills now. If any single of our mids go down we have others like them. Viney who is our best player missed and the slack was picked up by Tyson, Vince and Jones.

Jetta goes down and we lose the only defender that we can count on beating his opponent week and week. He isn't our most important player, but he is top 5 at the moment. 

The answer is yes, same as tall defenders, it's easier to punch the ball away from your opponent than to take the pack mark. 

Look at Geelong and Hawthorn, their small/mid size defenders/forwards can/could roll through the midfield better than any other team. They drafted players with that exact purpose is mind....flexibility. 

I like the way Jetta goes about it but if you think he's in our top 5 players than we look at the game differently, and that's fine.

On 6/10/2016 at 9:32 AM, Thrice said:

I remember the story of when our recruiting team went over to WA (Busselton?) to interview him. We found his Aunt who thought we actually there to talk to his cousin Lewis, as he was the one the family thought was the better player. Certainly early in their careers that was the case, and arguably even over their respective journeys, but at the present moment there is no question that we have the better player.

The "better Jetta". Has a nice ring to it! 

Anyone know what odds he is to win b+f he must coming close be out of Viney ? Gawn and nev.

25 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

The answer is yes, same as tall defenders, it's easier to punch the ball away from your opponent than to take the pack mark. 

Look at Geelong and Hawthorn, their small/mid size defenders/forwards can/could roll through the midfield better than any other team. They drafted players with that exact purpose is mind....flexibility. 

I like the way Jetta goes about it but if you think he's in our top 5 players than we look at the game differently, and that's fine.

Top 5 players? Of course not, but top 5 most important I would say he probably is. Certainly more important than Oliver this year. 

Would be top 3/4 in our b&f right now at a guess. Our weakness is our backline and he is the only consistent player we have down back unfortunately.  He is 1 of only 3 we have deserving of the AA squad this year.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to give some more love to Nev.

He's been solid all season. Really rate and appreciate his efforts this year and reakly happy he's remaining a dee beyond 2016.

I'll be watching with real interest where he finishes in the b&f. 

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Unleash Hell said:

Just wanted to give some more love to Nev.

He's been solid all season. Really rate and appreciate his efforts this year and reakly happy he's remaining a dee beyond 2016.

I'll be watching with real interest where he finishes in the b&f. 

He had a couple of ordinary weeks there, but he's back to being rock-solid. Looking forward to seeing how he goes against the Hawks again.

• Like 1

He's so strong in the air, I just wish he'd stop colliding with team mates. 

If he's going up others should stay down, and if others have a clear run and jump then sometimes he should realise that as the little guy he can stay down. Especially now with Tom, Frost, Wagner, Hunt we have some other defenders who can win the ball in the air. Except Oscar. Always go up if he's up, the bloke can't spoil to save himself.

• Like 1

There was plenty of well-deserved love for Jack Watts after the Gold Coast game, but in the last five minutes Nev Jetta was left 1 on 2 inside defending 50. He spoiled the ball against a much taller opponent and then ran down the other guy who had collected the spill. Best part was that even as he did this great thing, it had an air of 'yes, he'll handle this'.

Big chunks of respect for him, a hugely valuable player.

• Like 7

Currently sitting on 90 games so he'll have a good crack at the ton early next season. He's super deserving of the milestone. Still can't believe how Roos managed to turn him around.