The Jesse Hogan Panic Room - all contract talk here

Grapeviney

So we've also got players like Tyson, Stretch, VandenBerg, Salem and Weideman who are OOC in 2017.  Do we need to cut our losses on those guys as well?  None of them have signed on the dotted line as yet, so maybe someone like Stretch wants to go back to SA?  Let's not risk it, eh?

I get that it's slightly different with Hogan, but gee, if we took that attitude with all of our players we would be trading them all out of the club while they still had a year to run on their deals.  We signed EVERYONE we wanted to in 2016, and there is no reason to believe we can't do the same in 2017 either.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, A F said:

You didn't watch the Richmond game in 2015? 

That was a good game by him and showed what he is capable of. Busting packs, rag dolling opponents and playing with positive enthusiasm and energy. Seen very little of that since. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, deespicable me said:

Totally agree. He either signs or we trade him this trade period to the best offer for the club, whether that team is based in Perth, Queensland or Timbuctoo. If there is any thought he's going then GET HIM OUT, players like that ruin clubs.

Not sure if one player will ruin our club but settling for a crap deal will. 

Cant see him wanting to play for anyone else but for the Dee's or a WA team. 

4 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

So we've also got players like Tyson, Stretch, VandenBerg, Salem and Weideman who are OOC in 2017.  Do we need to cut our losses on those guys as well?  None of them have signed on the dotted line as yet, so maybe someone like Stretch wants to go back to SA?  Let's not risk it, eh?

I get that it's slightly different with Hogan, but gee, if we took that attitude with all of our players we would be trading them all out of the club while they still had a year to run on their deals.  We signed EVERYONE we wanted to in 2016, and there is no reason to believe we can't do the same in 2017 either.

Good clubs back themselves to retain good players, so the only way Jesse goes is if he tells the club that's what he wants, he won't be pushed.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

The point is we likely haven't been putting extensions in front of them as often as possible for the last 2 years. That's where the panic is coming from I think.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Are you deliberately naive? Comparing the contracts of 5 midfielders to that of a once-in-generation power forward with insane value on the market is just silly.

The likes of Tyson, Stretch, VB, Salem and Weideman probably stand to lose more by not signing an extension: it's doubtful any of them would get more than what Melbourne can afford. 

Anywhere Hogan potentially ends up would see him net more $$$ than what he'd get at the Dees. This is a FACT. Both WC and Freo would pay overs in salary to get him.

There is also the case of two teams with decent amount to offer both being willing to trade for a kid that is clearly homesick. The deal is open now and all three clubs are in a dialogue, maybe not directly but you can bet your arse that Melbourne are doing their due diligence into both WC's and Freo's lists to see who they would need. I can't imagine them doing that for any of the blokes you mentioned above.

He is an extremely valuable asset who has been treated extremely well by Melbourne, and as such he should commit and sign an extension if he is keen to stay. 

Nothing directly from his mouth has been about his long-term commitment. His demeanour and language along with his manager's language points to being not sure but leaning towards leaving. If that's the case let's stop twiddling our thumbs and get a deal done.

Edited by praha
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, praha said:

Granted, but the club also has a right to protect its investment/s and do what's within its own best interests: if Hogan wants to get to WC but can't this year, then he signs an extension otherwise he'll be wearing a Dockers guernsey in 2017. That is not unreasonable.

People keep repeating over and over that he's contracted for 2017, but all the fact does is highlight the severity if finalising his future.

Contract extensions are nothing new but with free agency these days they play an important part in list management.

What you will see now is teams trading contracted players with one year left to teams that will either do a sign-and-trade deal for the long term, or take on that salary for a year to fulfil their obligations and then free up space in a year with a strong free agency class. It's how it's done in the NBA and it's how it will be done here.

Anyone that wants the club to risk an unsure Hogan and keep him playing for Melbourne in 2017 without agreeing to an extension are shockingly misguided. In 2006 that might have been a reasonable train of thought, but it infuriates me when people say, 'HE'S CONTRACTED AND HE WILL PLAY IN 2017'. It's not that simple in 2016. We stand to lose so much if he leaves after 2017. It is completely unreasonable to argue that he is not "ready" to make a decision. I completely understand there are deeply personal issues here but I'm sorry, we all bang on about no player being bigger than the club and for us to just stop and be casual about it...we stand to lose a lot here.

He either signs an extension or the club trades him.

He either makes a decision or the club trades him.

I'm pretty confident this will be sorted by Christmas.

You make some good points, but considering what he is going through personally he should be given the time required to make the right decision for himself.  

The club has taken a complete back step while his family troubles play out.  He is not going to make a decision by trade period. It is ridiculous and it would back fire if the club put pressure on him at this emotion time. Yes, he does have one more year left. He understands the pressure he and the club will be under while he is unsigned and thus will not let this play out.

I expect that he will re-sign in the new year once his current troubles have played out.  Unless he request a trade he will not be traded this trade period.  Hogan not requesting a trade would be a very strong indication that he intends to re-sign.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Grand New Flag said:

You make some good points, but considering what he is going through personally he should be given the time required to make the right decision for himself.  

The club has taken a complete back step while his family troubles play out.  He is not going to make a decision by trade period. It is ridiculous and it would back fire if the club put pressure on him at this emotion time. Yes, he does have one more year left. He understands the pressure he and the club will be under while he is unsigned and thus will not let this play out.

I expect that he will re-sign in the new year once his current troubles have played out.  Unless he request a trade he will not be traded this trade period.  Hogan not requesting a trade would be a very strong indication that he intends to re-sign.

I didn't mean to sound like it should be done *NOW* but I would think that within the 3-4 week period between now, and the start and end of the trade period he will know what he wants to do.

A strong indication shouldn't be good enough. If he doesn't ask for a trade then he commits and the process to extend his contract is started.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Grand New Flag said:

Basically my view as well.

In his current family crisis we would appear [censored] to him, if we were hounding him about his contract.

No doubt he will respect our sensitivity to his situation.

As I said before and you have said similar, if it was a family reason to go home, he would tell us now, so that we could get a trade done this year and go home.

If he doesn't say anything now, that to me indicates a likely extension of his contract with us will eventuate, when he has the clear head to discuss it. 

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, praha said:

I didn't mean to sound like it should be done *NOW* but I would think that within the 3-4 week period between now, and the start and end of the trade period he will know what he wants to do.

A strong indication shouldn't be good enough. If he doesn't ask for a trade then he commits and the process to extend his contract is started.

I expect him to work to his and the Club's timetable, not yours or other supporters.

• Like 6

I think this is going to continue into next season. West Coast will free up a heap of cap space and will make a massive offer.

I'd like to think the family illness is the only reason in delay however I also think there is more at play if nothing transpires this trade period. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

2 hours ago, Demons11 said:

Then so is the fact that Fyfe broke his leg 

Except one is on our list and fully fit and the other one isn't either and might possibly be in the mix for a trade.

Plus, I'm guessing I don't need to tell you that the shin bone is not connected to the back bone.

Whilst Fyfe could be a fantastic player again after 2 broken legs, he is not the "best player in the comp" anymore. How may players have broken a leg twice and recovered fully? I'd rate Hogan as more valuable than Fyfe in a trade.

But I'll agree to disagree and leave it at that.

38 minutes ago, Flamingdees said:

Maybe the AFL should take the NBA approach. If Jesse doesn't want to play with us he goes to the highest bidder. Gold Coast have a crap load of picks this year so off to Gold Coast Jesse. 

Can't the melbourne footy club do this? Can we trade Jesse to the highest bidder against his wishes? It's probably going to make other players hate our club though if we did!

this forum seems to encourage the most extreme of responses (in inane detail), which means that contributors either a) freak out, b) diminish achievements/facts, or c) blow achievements/facts waaaay outta proportion, but can i suggest that we view the intrigue surrounding hogan's contract logically? 

i hope that most on here would agree that hogan is a competitive beast. he has also clearly adjusted to life in melbourne (with the help of an understanding club, fairly regularly trips home, etc). melbourne is where the biggest stars shine, where you get the chance to play on the best aussie rules ground in the world regularly. jesse has developed friendships for nearly half a decade whilst at our club. he has seen the bottom and now he's getting a glimpses of the top. in recent years, he has been joined by a lengthy list of up and coming stars (perhaps headed by the likes of viney, petracca and oliver). it is clear where the dees are headed - not so clear where the w.a. teams are going.. yes, he is a west australian, but do you really think this competitive beast, who now calls melbourne home, is surrounded by close mates that share his life experiences, in a club on the up, would throw that all away to go surfing a bit more, play in a team that could *maybe* contend semi-regularly for finals over the next ten years??!

the only issue is the health of jesse's dad. any other argument is null and void. he would clearly want to stay a dee (our future is blinding), but his concern over his dad would be the only issue that could move him back to the west at this stage of his career.

i believe that jesse hogan will stay. and i hope wish his dad the best in whatever health problems he is going through currently.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

They are not a Scully or Hogan who already has a million dollar offer on the table from a rival club.

Good to have some cool heads around the place who are still hopeful the bloke will sign even if it's some time in the new year. But the rest of us panicking souls believe he won't recommit to us. How many times do we need to be burnt to learn?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rocky said:

this forum seems to encourage the most extreme of responses (in inane detail), which means that contributors either a) freak out, b) diminish achievements/facts, or c) blow achievements/facts waaaay outta proportion, but can i suggest that we view the intrigue surrounding hogan's contract logically? 

i hope that most on here would agree that hogan is a competitive beast. he has also clearly adjusted to life in melbourne (with the help of an understanding club, fairly regularly trips home, etc). melbourne is where the biggest stars shine, where you get the chance to play on the best aussie rules ground in the world regularly. jesse has developed friendships for nearly half a decade whilst at our club. he has seen the bottom and now he's getting a glimpses of the top. in recent years, he has been joined by a lengthy list of up and coming stars (perhaps headed by the likes of viney, petracca and oliver). it is clear where the dees are headed - not so clear where the w.a. teams are going.. yes, he is a west australian, but do you really think this competitive beast, who now calls melbourne home, is surrounded by close mates that share his life experiences, in a club on the up, would throw that all away to go surfing a bit more, play in a team that could *maybe* contend semi-regularly for finals over the next ten years??!

the only issue is the health of jesse's dad. any other argument is null and void. he would clearly want to stay a dee (our future is blinding), but his concern over his dad would be the only issue that could move him back to the west at this stage of his career.

i believe that jesse hogan will stay. and i hope wish his dad the best in whatever health problems he is going through currently.

How boring would forums be with out this? You are asking for way too much for a logical and well thought out forum responses.

• Like 1

i guess it was the frustration of trawling through page after page of the same drivel. i feel that office boredom probably causes the majority of it.. if we were all in a pub with a pint, i'm pretty sure none of us would rabbit on with all the tripe that we dish up here.... we'd be like, 'as if he'd leave! he'll win a flag with his mates in a few years!!". my dissing of the forum's vibe wasn't my main intention with that post. just setting the scene yo.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Rocky said:

All well and good Rocky and I do respect your post but why then didn't he extend his contract earlier in the season before putting contract negotiations on hold?

12 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

All well and good Rocky and I do respect your post but why then didn't he extend his contract earlier in the season before putting contract negotiations on hold?

the only reason would be $ mate.. he probably wanted to see how the dees were going to polish up throughout the year. and despite the last two games, i reckon he'd be pretty happy with what he saw.

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Yep and this is what worries me most. None of us know he ins and outs of his family situation but I would think the club would have put a large number of long term deals infront of him going back months and months, maybe even longer. 

• Like 1