Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

SANDRINGHAM v CASEY SCORPIONS

KC from Casey

8 hours ago, jayceebee31 said:

Great depth at long last, need a couple of tall backs and we will be right up there at the top IMO.

Hurley would be the obvious one to chase with a lot of people suggesting Day, but he can have big disposal errors and not that great one on one. There's a kid at GWS that got some games early with all there injuries last year, Caleb Marchbank, Competed well for a young kid, was drafted at 193cm but may have grown since then, but I'd rather a player giving away 5-7cm and being a competitor who is a better player. He seemed quite composed and made good decisions, left his man at the right time to help out his team mates and really showed a bit. Was drafted in 2014 and is 20 years old now. Better skills and I thought better positioning then O'Mac. I hope we go after him. With Davis and the like playing well would be waiting a while for a game. 

3 hours ago, Harrisonrules said:

First game  to see Casey for some time. Was always so convenient when played at Sandy. Far from a reliable report but a few comments. 

Wind made marking for talls difficult. It was hard to judge flight. I thought Oscar improved as the game went on as he began judging the flight better. 

Spencer far from fit, struggled to be the brute he can be as the game went on. 

Trengove is a class act and will definitely make it in time. 

I went to see Weideman, but as I say it was hard for talls. With the wind the goals just sailed over everyone's head from outside fifty. Spencer kicked a beauty from at least 60 out close to boundary just before half time. It meant often the person well at the back of the packwas in the best position. The opposite direction a player intending to scout found it dropping on him. The Weeds few chances showed a couple of great skills. A really sharp left foot snap had guys around me arguing if he was a left or right foot. We soon learnt with a beautifully graceful right footer strait through the middle from about 30 out with wind. You can't help but love his kicking style. A couple of really smart handballs for goals. Yes he needs more body but he's got the start of it. Patience. 

I also wanted to see Hulet as the saints were very keen to draft this long time Saints fan, Sandy dragons player,  but we beat them to him. Body wise yes Jack Darling is the model and for a 18/19 year old he looks closer to a 26 year old as if having been around the system for a number of years. What I loved was the variety of smart things he did. In a one on one situation he outsmarted his opponent with a half volley pick up and began running toward goals - into wind- to risky to shoot, but if you can get my point a very smart look away kick - whatever that might be chipped beautifully to a team mate. To me he's got a footy brain. A lovely leading mark in last quarter. A thirty metre kick was just carried by wind to wrong side of post but I thought there was enough in it to be encouraged. The third incident was a very sharp right check side dribble as he ran toward left point post and perhaps a metre or 2 or 3 out dribbled it through. I know he has a reputation for his marking but I've gone away believing there's an awful lot more to this bloke. I think he will play before the weed due to body build and the confidence it will bring him. 

ANB, great inside hands. Must get a game soon.

Dawsy very dedicated and actually held some good marks. One in a pack, although probably helped by the ball drop due to wind. 

My assessment of Angus is that he has such a good mind he actually reads the play even in scrimmages/centre bounces quicker than others or knows how to read it quicker so is first in with head down, but that leaves him the most vulnerable. Might be better to start him on a wing for a time then let him run as a mid without the initial risk.  

Joel Smith was of interest and really couldn't track him for he's just to unfamiliar but a few times was impressed with a persons athletic play and when checking the record numbers discovered it was him. Long long term but who knows. The mark of this century. Shaun was there so I asked him how he thought he was tracking and dad was happy. 

Great afternoon with lots of demons and coaches there. Spoke to Bernie Vince and told him Crows would have won if they still had him to smother Dangerfield.

A great commentary, Harrison.

12 hours ago, mdemonski2 said:

Tough day for the tall marking forward with the wind blowing it all over the place. He moves well, attacks it in the air and disposes well. He will be a player in time. We gotta beauty there.

beautiful pick up and handball lead to a scorps goal q 2. Real skill required and executed to perfection 

I agree. The Weed moves beautifully, is a superb kick, any angle, also outside the 50m arc. At the moment he is not holding his pack marks and tends to be double teamed a bit like Hogan. With maturity and greater bulk, I think he will be a great pickup, but don't expect him to be promoted this year - he is not ready yet, and if we continue to be in the finals race to the end I wouldn't expect too much "blooding" going on this year.

12 hours ago, Dante said:

There will be pressure on the players tomorrow to perform, they have a few breathing down their necks, surely ANB will get a game next week.

Got to feel for Terlich, I'd say his card's been marked and he has played his last game for Melbourne.  From what Roos has said he doesn't seem to see Trenners back in the side any time soon, I'm not sure why he would be singled out and have to put his hand up to say he's ready to play AFL again.

I was at the game. I think Tenners slips under the radar at the moment. I don't think he is ready yet either, and I suspect he thinks the same too. I doubt he has put his hand up yet to Roos.. I was very surprised to see he had 27 possessions today - it didn't "look" a high possession game to me, but obviously was. 

Some other comments. I usually stand at our scoring ends at Casey games, and looking at the forward line there is real scoring potency there just like the ones. When you have talls of Dawes, Huelett, and the Weed (as well as Spencer playing a similar role to Gawn down forward and playing it very well) that would look good in a few AFL sides, plus with ABN and  Newton lurking for the crumbs. Also number 6 for Casey James Munro kicked two superb goals from outside 50 both with and against the wind. Hard at it too, could be worth looking at next year and in his early 20s. 

Just a word on Spencer and Dawes. Jake is running into really good form in his third game back. He has one of the longest kicks on him for a big man I have seen and kicked what looked like a 70 meter goal with the wind on the run. His ruck work is also excellent and easily beat his Saints opponent, as well as taking some good marks around the ground and up forward. On this form it would not surprise at all if we went for the Gawn/Spencer combination in the near future as we did against when winning at Skilled Stadium last year. Going on current form of the two ruckman it could prove to be a mighty weapon particularly against top sides, and very difficult to match up on.

Chris Dawes is also making good progress with his comeback. His endeavour was first class yesterday, as was his end to end running (something he has been criticised for in the past) and he is starting to hold some really difficult overhead marks. His kicking for goal though still needs improvement. He is a powerful emplacement for any of our key forwards should they go down. 

Overall a very impressive win. Unlike in past years Casey is being competently coached and is following the Roos game plan to the letter, and it is pleasing to see a similar style of play to the seniors and similar results. With the exception of the Williamstown game, there is real potency on the field at Casey games this year. 

It was also pleasing to see almost the whole of the senior coaching panel amongst whom were McCartney, Rawlings and Goodwin stand together at one end for most of the match. No doubt they would have been delighted with what they saw.

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 6

Did

7 hours ago, scarlett said:

Hurley would be the obvious one to chase with a lot of people suggesting Day, but he can have big disposal errors and not that great one on one. There's a kid at GWS that got some games early with all there injuries last year, Caleb Marchbank, Competed well for a young kid, was drafted at 193cm but may have grown since then, but I'd rather a player giving away 5-7cm and being a competitor who is a better player. He seemed quite composed and made good decisions, left his man at the right time to help out his team mates and really showed a bit. Was drafted in 2014 and is 20 years old now. Better skills and I thought better positioning then O'Mac. I hope we go after him. With Davis and the like playing well would be waiting a while for a game. 

Didn't Marchbank play against us (and was beaten by Hogan a few times) in the latter part of Round 1?

10 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Wow where did all this depth come from?  18 months ago we had the thinnest list in the AFL by  a mile now we are spoilt with riches

ANB is a gun, Benny Newton is back and on fire, Trenners is ready, Dawes sliding in nicely, Weed will be a star

Next debutante will be Hulett I reckon. Worried about Angus.

Go Scorps

We have a next to non-existent injury list and we've finally been picking up quality young players who are being developed really well.

Ok so Casey wins convincingly and get stuff all write up, sandringham looses and get a far better write up with the FB player getting BOG!?

State league affiliate: Casey Scorpions (VFL)
This weekend: Sandringham v Casey Scorpions - Saturday May 14, 2pm, Trevor Barker Beach Oval

Alex Neal-Bullen racked up 39 disposals and kicked a goal as the Scorpions beat Sandringham by 31 points.

Ben Newton (30 disposals), Lynden Dunn (28), Dean Terlich (27) and Jack Trengove (26 disposals and a goal) were similarly prolific.

Exciting young forward Sam Weideman slotted two goals, as did Chris Dawes and Liam Hulett.

It was Dawes' second consecutive match since his return from a strain to his left calf.

Angus Brayshaw was concussed early in the first quarter and took no further part in the game. 

It was his first game back since being concussed a fortnight ago by a ball being accidentally kicked into his head.

State league affiliate: Sandringham (VFL)
This weekend: Sandringham v Casey Scorpions - Saturday May 14, 2pm, Trevor Barker Beach Oval

Tom Lee collected 25 disposals in a best-on-ground effort as Sandringham lost by  31 points to the Casey Scorpions.

He played at full-back on Sam Weideman, who kicked two goals. 

Paddy McCartin slotted two goals but was otherwise quiet, while Cam Shenton booted three for the second straight week.

Daniel McKenzie (24 disposals, one goal) and Nathan Wright (23 disposals) both provided excellent run off half-back.

Tom Curren notched up 22 disposals in another good game.

Hugh Goddard struggled in defence and Darren Minchington was similarly subdued, compared to the usually high standard he sets at the Zebras.

Meanwhile, recruit Nathan Freeman finished with 10 touches and three tackles in a little under three quarters playing in Sandringham's development team. 

The 20-year-old featured in each of the four quarters in carefully managed game time.

It was Freeman's first game since overcoming multiple hamstring setbacks.

Gee even our TOP OF THE LADDER VFL team don't get compliments.

Edited by AzzKikA

The week's official statistics 

Angus Brayshaw 1 disposal 1 handball 1 tackle 6 dream team points (injured)
Chris Dawes 2 goals 3 behinds disposals 12 kicks 1 handballs 8 marks 1 tackle 79 dream team points
Lynden Dunn 1 behind 28  disposals 18 kicks 10 handballs 6 marks 4 tackles 103 dream team points
Sam Frost 5 disposals 1 kicks 4 handballs 2 tackles 20 dream team points
Liam Hulett 2 goals 2 behinds 9 disposals 8 kicks 1 handballs 3 marks 50 dream team points
Max King 1 behind 6 disposals 1 kick 5 handballs 1 mark 2 tackles 10 hit outs 35 dream team points
Oscar McDonald 18 disposals 10 kicks 8 handballs 4 marks 59 dream team points
Alex Neal-Bullen 1 goals 39 disposals 18 kicks 21 handballs 3 marks 1 tackle 112 dream team points
Ben Newton 2 behinds 32 disposals 14 kicks 18 handballs 6 marks 18 tackles 1 hit out 172 dream team points
Joel Smith 10 disposals 1 kick 9 handballs 1 mark 2 tackles 29 dream team points
Jake Spencer 1 goals 14 disposals 7 kicks 7 handballs 1 mark 5 tackles 40 hit outs 105 dream team points
Dean Terlich 25 disposals 14 kicks 11 handballs 3 marks 8 tackles 100 dream team points
Jack Trengove 1 goal 29 disposals 9 kicks 20 handballs 3 marks 6 tackles 1 hit out 92 dream team points
Sam Weideman 2 goals 1 behind 10 disposals 3 kicks 7 handballs 3 marks 1 tackle 46 dream team points
Mitch White 17 disposals 8 kicks 9 handballs 2 marks 7 tackles 70 dream team points
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, KC from Casey said:
The week's official statistics 

Chris Dawes 2 goals 3 behinds disposals 12 kicks 1 handballs 8 marks 1 tackle 79 dream team points
Lynden Dunn 1 behind 28  disposals 18 kicks 10 handballs 6 marks 4 tackles 103 dream team points
Liam Hulett 2 goals 2 behinds 9 disposals 8 kicks 1 handballs 3 marks 50 dream team points
Max King 1 behind 6 disposals 1 kick 5 handballs 1 mark 2 tackles 10 hit outs 35 dream team points
Alex Neal-Bullen 1 goals 39 disposals 18 kicks 21 handballs 3 marks 1 tackle 112 dream team points
Ben Newton 2 behinds 32 disposals 14 kicks 18 handballs 6 marks 18 tackles 1 hit out 172 dream team points
Joel Smith 10 disposals 1 kick 9 handballs 1 mark 2 tackles 29 dream team points
Jake Spencer 1 goals 14 disposals 7 kicks 7 handballs 1 mark 5 tackles 40 hit outs 105 dream team points
Dean Terlich 25 disposals 14 kicks 11 handballs 3 marks 8 tackles 100 dream team points
Jack Trengove 1 goal 29 disposals 9 kicks 20 handballs 3 marks 6 tackles 1 hit out 92 dream team points
Sam Weideman 2 goals 1 behind 10 disposals 3 kicks 7 handballs 3 marks 1 tackle 46 dream team points
Mitch White 17 disposals 8 kicks 9 handballs 2 marks 7 tackles 70 dream team points

What in the world....Ben Newton, 32 dispoals and 18 bloody tackles...resulting in 172 dream team points...Two massive weeks in a row. Might be a chance this week.

Edited by Moneider96

I had a spy there who didn't think much of Newton's game or ANB for that matter.  Thought ANB dishes off too many one metre handballs to someone else already under pressure.  Just lacks that bit of time, vision and class.

I wasn't there, but it's difficult to make too many definitive judgments just on disposal numbers.

So while we see huge numbers for some players it doesn't mean they're going to excel at AFL level.  That said, it obviously helps them increase their chances of a call up. 

8 minutes ago, Vineytime said:

Did he get injured?? Did anyone see him play??

Frost went off in the 3rd? with reported back spasm and didn't come back on.  He was very ginger post-match, looked lower back.  I was pleased to see him playing back ahead of that, nothing special but his size and great pace were on show.

HORROR START, GREAT FINISH by KC from Casey

The Casey Scorpions ventured out to the Trevor Barker Beach Oval on Saturday afternoon and survived a horror opening quarter when they trailed badly to turn things around completely when their turn came with the wind in the second term and then controlled the game in the final half to record a 31 point victory in a great finish.

The game was only minutes old when Angus Brayshaw suffered yet another knock to the head causing his removal from the game as a precaution. At the same time the home team was scoring goal after goal to lead by 5.1.31 to 0.0.0 with the first term barely halfway through. Forward Liam Hulett stemmed the flow temporarily with his team's first goal but the Zebras' onslaught continued to the bell when they led by 35 points.

As often happens in such cases, the home side managed to boot the first when their turn came against the wind and the Casey Scorpions were staring at a deficit of 41 points. However, that was the point in time when the game was turned on its head.

With big Jake Spencer taking control in the ruck and Alex Neal-Bullen, Ben Newton and Jack Trengove dominating on the ball scored 5 goals in the space of 10 minutes to get themselves back in the game. A pleasing feature for the alignment was that the players scoring at the end of the onslaught during this period were Casey-listed players James Munro, Tim Smith, Ed Morris and Paul Pattison. One has to question how the VFL representative squad selectors failed to pick a Casey player given the form of Munro and Smith (2 goals each in the second term) or skipper Jack Hutchins for that matter.

Late in the second quarter Spencer booted a long goal to put the Scorps in front and the star of the game Neal-Bullen who finished with 39 touches goaled to make the difference 11 points in favour of the visitors after a nine goal quarter. 

If the second quarter heoics were not enough, then it was in the third that the game was won as Casey outscored Sandy against the wind to increase its lead to three goals. Late in the game, Chris Dawes and Sam Weideman got into the goals and at one stage the lead was up to 42 points before a couple of late goals to the Zebras made the result more respectable for them.

The Scorpions are on top of the ladder and face a big challenge from the Box Hill Hawks smarting from their first loss for the season. The game will be played at Casey Fields on Saturday night.

Casey Scorpions 1.4.10 10.8.69 15.12.102 19.19.133

Sandringham 7.3.45 9.3.57 13.6.84 16.6.102

Goals

Casey Scorpions Munro T Smith 3 Dawes Hulett Morris Weideman 2 Briggs Neal-Bullen Pattison Spencer Trengove 

Sandringham Dennis-Lane Shenton 3 Kreymborg McCartin 2 Cook Longer McKenzie Minchington Saunders White

Best 

Casey Scorpions Neal-Bullen Munro Newton T Smith Hutchins White

Sandringham Lee McKenzie Wright White Curren Shenton

The Development League team led at half time but failed to respond to the challenge in the final term and went down by 48 points.

Casey Scorpions 1.0.6 3.4.22 5.7.37 7.12.54

Sandringham 2.5.17 2.6.18 7.8.50 15.12.102

Goals

Casey Scorpions Vander Haar 3 Baker Cotte Gordon Hannon

Sandringham Ong 3 Cameron Payne Wilkins 2 Coates Fisscher Fox Lloyd

Best 

Casey Scorpions Muir D Collis Vander Haar Gains McInerney Gordon 

Sandringham Ong Hayes Wilkins Kelso Thompson Wallace 

Statistics