Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

I think Michie was tagging for most of the Gold Coast game, wasn't he? McCartney had a word in his ear at quarter time (clearly visible while the other players are with Roosy in the huddle). Was probably under instructions to negate some opposition players.

To echo the above, think Bugg goes to Stringer (who's been a bit of a sook lately) and Vince tags Bont (who is still too young to shake a tag). The Bulldogs are missing some key senior players so we have to focus on restricting their talented youth.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Peter Griffen said:

Have it on pretty good authority that there are no lingering concussion concerns with Viney and they just decided to take a conservative approach and put him on ice for the day, given we were 50 odd points up with about 15 minutes to play i think it was the right call.

Salem, Lumumba and maybe another KPD would be on the cards as potential in's but i'm not sure you can make that many changes after a win like that. 

I think it would send a really good message if someone like Salem had to earn his way back in.

send him back to Casey where he will dominate and he'll be back in soon enough anyway.

Good to rest him for half a quarter when the game was over....I also thought it was an impact high chest / neck and queried the concussion diagnosis.

10 hours ago, Akum said:

Any chance they might give Bugg first crack on Stringer? Would help with some of the other match-ups. 

By far the most important thing is to get our structures and planning right. 

For that reason, they'll bring H back in, our run out of defence will be incredibly important and we need as much as we can possibly find.

I'll allow H getting out marked 2-3 times by the likes of Redpath, if in return H can manage to run off him 6-8 times and set us up through the corridor.

And - as I say before every game that we play against a coach who plans really well, like Bevo did the second time we played them last year - we MUST anticipate that they will succeed in nullifying Gawn by getting the main ruckman to wrestle him & pin his arms (illegally, maybe, but they won't get pinged for it) while a third man comes over the top, or while their mids just wait in numbers for the ball to land at his feet, while our mids are hanging back waiting for him to tap it to advantage, which he won't be allowed to do.

And we MUST anticipate that they'll have someone whose entire role for the whole game will be to keep Viney away from the contests, even if it means turning their back on the play and putting their body in the way.

If we anticipate these tactics against our two most players this year and plan for it, we can easily turn it against them. If we don't anticipate it and don't plan for it, they'll absolutely carve us up from the stoppages, we'll be chasing tail the whole game. And Roos will give another of those pressers of "we lost it at selection" or "we got our structures all wrong".

It goes without saying that if we keep trying to bomb it onto Hogan's head, we'll be playing right into their hands and they'll tear us to shreds attacking from defence.

We can win this if we get our planning & structures right. If we don't, we could be in for an absolute demolition.

H (H for Headless chook) may well run out of defence but what does he do with it?  Long bomb.....would please those in the MCC who love to shout out "kick it long", and maybe the opposition defenders,  but not Hogan I am sure.  Hunt has been running it out and (generally) delivering with purpose, as has Wagner.

Salem, yes, if he is ready and can be fitted in.  H not for me.

Edited by monoccular

11 hours ago, Akum said:

Any chance they might give Bugg first crack on Stringer? Would help with some of the other match-ups. 

By far the most important thing is to get our structures and planning right. 

For that reason, they'll bring H back in, our run out of defence will be incredibly important and we need as much as we can possibly find.

I'll allow H getting out marked 2-3 times by the likes of Redpath, if in return H can manage to run off him 6-8 times and set us up through the corridor.

And - as I say before every game that we play against a coach who plans really well, like Bevo did the second time we played them last year - we MUST anticipate that they will succeed in nullifying Gawn by getting the main ruckman to wrestle him & pin his arms (illegally, maybe, but they won't get pinged for it) while a third man comes over the top, or while their mids just wait in numbers for the ball to land at his feet, while our mids are hanging back waiting for him to tap it to advantage, which he won't be allowed to do.

And we MUST anticipate that they'll have someone whose entire role for the whole game will be to keep Viney away from the contests, even if it means turning their back on the play and putting their body in the way.

If we anticipate these tactics against our two most players this year and plan for it, we can easily turn it against them. If we don't anticipate it and don't plan for it, they'll absolutely carve us up from the stoppages, we'll be chasing tail the whole game. And Roos will give another of those pressers of "we lost it at selection" or "we got our structures all wrong".

It goes without saying that if we keep trying to bomb it onto Hogan's head, we'll be playing right into their hands and they'll tear us to shreds attacking from defence.

We can win this if we get our planning & structures right. If we don't, we could be in for an absolute demolition.

Bugg is a terrible matchup for Stringer.  Stringer isn't strong in the air, but he'd make mince meat of Bugg.  We don't have an ideal matchup, although Garland will probably spend more time on him than most.  They'll all take him at some stages.  Hunter is the type of player Bugg might spend time with.  He's been hurting clubs on the outside.

All ruckman try to nullify Gawn, but it's not that easy.  The Dogs don't have a quality ruckman, so I expect Gawn to continue to give first use of the ball to Viney, etc.  With the form Gawn is in I certainly don't expect they'll "succeed" in nullifying him.  Gawn has over 30 more hitouts to advantage than any other ruckman in the league, so I don't know why they'd be planning on him being nullified.  But the club will react accordingly to whatever transpires around the stoppages.

Footscray didn't tag Mitchell and Beveridge traditionally backs his mids to go head to head, but they'll be trying to put a block on Viney around the stoppages.  But you can't block them all.  I doubt they'll run a hard tag on Viney, because it would be atypical to the way they play.  If they do they do.

As usual, the game will be won in the midfield and we need to out-pressure, outnumber and out-contest them where the heat is on.

11 hours ago, Akum said:

No chance, Bugg would be massacred by Stringer. Both in the air and at ground level. 

The Garland of old would have been the best fit for Stringer and I can sense he might get the job. Needs to be far more physical if he's going to curb Stringer's influence though.

I'd much prefer Bugg to play on one of their play-maker/nice boys for part of the game. One of Macrae or Bont for a while and just really get under their skin.

Agree with the rest of your post though, great read.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

3 hours ago, GawnWithTheWind said:

Ins: Dunn

Outs: Garland

Purely for match ups, and Garland didn't set the world on fire.

----------------------------------------

FB: Jetta - Dunn - Hunt

HB: Wagner - McD - Michie

C: Bugg - Jones - Vince

HF: Kent - Hogan - Harmes

FF: Garlett - Pedo - Watts

R: Gawn - Viney - Tyson

I: Kennedy - Oliver - Trac - Stretch

-------------------------

McD - Redpath

Dunn - Campbell/Roughead

Jetta - Stringer

Vince to hurt Bont (I don't think he can handle a vince voilent tag, ala danger)

Dunn will be slaughted by that lightning fast Bulldog forwardline. Reality is the dogs forwards are only good when they in space so our defenders are not as important as our defencive effort from midfielders/forwards to slow them down. Anyone that shows a hint of being tired needs to be rested otherwise we will be run off the park.

As far as changes go, I think Michie and Stretch are in trouble not for any fault of their own, just because of the concussed boys who are likely to come back in.

26 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

If it rains, our chances go up.

Bring the rain.

I disagree. The bullies have been a formidable defensive unit this year and will certainly match our intensity at the contest. They also have loads of smaller players who will relish slippery conditions and the ball being on the deck.

We need to play our fast transition game (and try to stop theirs - no small feat), a game that is made more tricky in slippery conditions given the premium on clean ball handling.

Rain would also negate the height advantage of our forwards (and when Gawn pushes forward - he is becoming a real weapon in the forward 50). 

Edited by binman
  • Like 1

Salem in ... I reckon he's done quite well this season considering it's just his 3rd year of footy ... and, he has only 28 games under his belt (60-70 games is still a good benchmark for when a player should be established, hitting his straps and having a sense of belonging)

Some players start peaking early where as others need more time ... Salem is still finding his feet in some ways.  His kicking to position out of the backline is first rate and is underrated.  He doesn't waste it.

Michie could be the one to make way on the last in, first out rule of thumb. 

That may well be the only change although Lumumba may have some claims (but who goes out*?) 

• ANB is another who is pressing for selection but he may have to continue to bide his time. 
  • Trengove is progressing towards a senior call-up too. 
  • Dunn won't be relishing playing in the 2's, same for Dawes. 
  • And what to do with Frost & Newton? 
  • Brayshaw will be ready to go soon enough. 
  • Sooner or later the MC will want to give Weideman a taste
  • And then there's vanders, and others.

We've finally got some proper depth ... A senior spot needs to be coveted these days.

*Stretch might make way for Lumumba but Stretch deserves a decent go at it ... at any rate, we are once again in that "nice problem to have" situation.

4 minutes ago, Macca said:

Salem in ... I reckon he's done quite well this season considering it's just his 3rd year of footy ... and, he has only 28 games under his belt (60-70 games is still a good benchmark for when a player should be established, hitting his straps and having a sense of belonging)

Some players start peaking early where as others need more time ... Salem is still finding his feet in some ways.  His kicking to position out of the backline is first rate and is underrated.  He doesn't waste it.

Michie could be the one to make way on the last in, first out rule of thumb. 

That may well be the only change although Lumumba may have some claims (but who goes out*?) 

• ANB is another who is pressing for selection but he may have to continue to bide his time. 
  • Trengove is progressing towards a senior call-up too. 
  • Dunn won't be relishing playing in the 2's, same for Dawes. 
  • And what to do with Frost & Newton? 
  • Brayshaw will be ready to go soon enough. 
  • Sooner or later the MC will want to give Weideman a taste
  • And then there's vanders, and others.

We've finally got some proper depth ... A senior spot needs to be coveted these days.

*Stretch might make way for Lumumba but Stretch deserves a decent go at it ... at any rate, we are once again in that "nice problem to have" situation.

Agree on Salem in and the assesment of the guys in the 2's. Problem is we have that good problem but too many our players are full of potential but inconsistent. Because there are so many selection challenges they are going to make alot of section mistakes. Its impossible to tell which players are going to match this weeks efforts and which are going to have a down week.

Michie was servicable without setting the world on fire but for all we know he could step up again, it was his first game at the level in quite a while. Stretch showed good signs but didnt garantee himself another week. Oliver has had some fantastic games but also struggled in others. Tracc has only played 2 games stepping up from last week but will suddenly come up against much better opposition. These guys and more could all go either way this week. None 'deserve' to come out but we dont know what we will get this week. Another up week we have a chance to push them, a down week and we will be in all sorts very early. 

Good luck to the footy dept, they'll need it

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

Agree on Salem in and the assesment of the guys in the 2's. Problem is we have that good problem but too many our players are full of potential but inconsistent. Because there are so many selection challenges they are going to make alot of section mistakes. Its impossible to tell which players are going to match this weeks efforts and which are going to have a down week.

Michie was servicable without setting the world on fire but for all we know he could step up again, it was his first game at the level in quite a while. Stretch showed good signs but didnt garantee himself another week. Oliver has had some fantastic games but also struggled in others. Tracc has only played 2 games stepping up from last week but will suddenly come up against much better opposition. These guys and more could all go either way this week. None 'deserve' to come out but we dont know what we will get this week. Another up week we have a chance to push them, a down week and we will be in all sorts very early. 

Good luck to the footy dept, they'll need it

It's my experience that once a team has proper depth, the cream rises to the top (the best players do not want to be anywhere that bunch of players who might go out of the team)

So I'd expect our better players to get a lot better - this is already happening to a certain extent.  And those around the fringe will be desperate to stay in the side ... there's nothing like strong competition within the ranks.

Someone else made mention of the selfless acts we're starting to see and the giving off of goal scoring opportunities.  Greater competition within the ranks should equal a greater team emphasis from all our players.  In other words, right now,  there is no room for prima donna's or those who won't do the 1%ers.

• Like 1

Whether you liked Garland's game or not ( that first quarter handpass ewww) - what I did like is he obviously been told by the coaching panel  that he needs to do more offensively and you can see him trying to do exactly that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ProDee said:

All ruckman try to nullify Gawn, but it's not that easy.  The Dogs don't have a quality ruckman, so I expect Gawn to continue to give first use of the ball to Viney, etc.  With the form Gawn is in I certainly don't expect they'll "succeed" in nullifying him.  Gawn has over 30 more hitouts to advantage than any other ruckman in the league, so I don't know why they'd be planning on him being nullified.  But the club will react accordingly to whatever transpires around the stoppages.

Footscray didn't tag Mitchell and Beveridge traditionally backs his mids to go head to head, but they'll be trying to put a block on Viney around the stoppages.  But you can't block them all.  I doubt they'll run a hard tag on Viney, because it would be atypical to the way they play.  If they do they do.

As usual, the game will be won in the midfield and we need to out-pressure, outnumber and out-contest them where the heat is on.

Hit-out ranking this year is Gawn, Goldstein, Natanui, Jacobs, Hickey, Mumford.

It's interesting, the Dogs have come up against North - Goldstein, Adelaide - Jacobs and now Melbourne - Gawn

• North-Dogs: Hitouts 49-33, Clearances 31-44
  • Adelaide-Dogs Hitouts 30-38 Clearances 25-40

They seem happy with Campbell and Roughead and those results against Jacobs are impressive.  I thought they might consider Minson but that seems unlikely.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

It's interesting, the Dogs have come up against North - Goldstein, Adelaide - Jacobs and now Melbourne - Gawn

They seem happy with Campbell and Roughead and those results against Jacobs are impressive.  I thought they might consider Minson but that seems unlikely.

Good get. I thought the saints roved Gawn really well and the above stats suggest the dogs will do the same. perhaps Gawn might push forward a bit more and Pedo might get a little more ruck time.

Teams will really start (if they haven't already) putting work into analyzing and mitigating Gawn dog's ruck patterns. A couple of brilliant set plays (goals to Viney and Jones) against the GC that would opposition infuriate coaches i would have thought. 

I can't see Michie getting dropped. Roos does not drop players after one game, or at least new players and whilst Viv wasn't a debutante he was elevated from the rookie list.

Contradicting that a bit i can see stretch getting dropped for Salem. A like for like player and i think that Stretch will be one of those players who come in an out of the side. Billy will be stiff though. I really like his game and in particular his accurate, neat kicking.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

They haven't come up against a 208cm ruckman.

Gawn will get first use and it's up to the mids to make the most of this advantage.

25 minutes ago, Curry & Beer said:

gets dropped, lucky to get back in, first thing he does is just handball to the opposition in defensive 50 and gift the first goal to GC

Colin Garland out please

Hello Curry!  Where have you been hiding?

Just now, ProDee said:

They haven't come up against a 208cm ruckman.

Gawn will get first use and it's up to the mids to make the most of this advantage.

I was about to say that Goldstein would be about that height, then looked it up - he is 201cm.  I feel like he is taller than that.

I don't have a point by the way, just surprised at Goldstein's height.

And I agree with the last part.  Gawn will get his hands on it and it's up to the midfield to do the rest.

47 minutes ago, Curry & Beer said:

gets dropped, lucky to get back in, first thing he does is just handball to the opposition in defensive 50 and gift the first goal to GC

Colin Garland out please

My immediate thought at the time too. No pressure, just an absolutely awful handball 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nutbean said:

Whether you liked Garland's game or not ( that first quarter handpass ewww) - what I did like is he obviously been told by the coaching panel  that he needs to do more offensively and you can see him trying to do exactly that.

The Harmes soccer goal. Colin ignores a short dink option on the outside from half back, sells some candy to run straight up the middle and kicks long inside 50. No doubt he's been told that's part of his job.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Song Formerly Known As said:

Marcus Adams out for them. Leaves with them with their only genuine Blackman being Boyd.

Can we exploit this somehow?

I wouldn't have picked you as someone who would look to exploit a black man

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, The Song Formerly Known As said:

Marcus Adams out for them. Leaves with them with their only genuine Blackman being Boyd.

Can we exploit this somehow?

Morris is pretty handy. Not sure he is a Blackman though. 

• Like 1