Fitz is flying at the Hawks

RalphiusMaximus

1 hour ago, Baghdad Bob said:

He took less money to play with the Hawks.  He was atrociously dealt with by MFC.  He was a much better player than he was given credit for. 

He was my favourite player before he left...I'm not trying to undersell his talent. I don't know what went on behind the scenes, but I do know that the MFC were proven correct in their view that he should only have been offered a one year deal.

Anyway, I didn't mean to turn a Jack Fitzpatrick thread into a Cam Bruce thread. Good luck to Fitzy at the Hawks; I'd be surprised to see him play more than a handful of senior games, but you never know.

Good on him and good luck to him.

In 2013 it looked like he'd become a cult hero at the MFC, but it never really worked out.  He'll get some Home and Away matches for the Hawks, but it's not one that'll come back to bite us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Good on him and good luck to him.

In 2013 it looked like he'd become a cult hero at the MFC, but it never really worked out.  He'll get some Home and Away matches for the Hawks, but it's not one that'll come back to bite us.

I think the term 'cult hero' is generally code for someone for whom the descriptors 'champion', 'star' and 'highly skilled' do not apply. It's one step up from 'journeyman'.

4 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

quite. like mark jackson or mad-dog muir

both could play....both nutty as a fruit cake...but  play they could !!

ol' Jake......hmmm :unsure:

Now that he is at the Hawks he is injury free and I believe his diabetes has been cured as well. Clarko is a genius. 

Remember when that church in Hawthorn put up the poster "What would you do if Jesus Christ came to Hawthorn?"

Imagine the answer being, "Move Jack Fitzpatrick to centre half forward." It wouldn't be as re-assuring for the Hawthorn faithful as the original response: "Move Peter Hudson to centre half forward".

• Like 1

Dont know why the interest really. At Melbourne he failed to set the world on fire... Thats all that matters to me

30 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

Kyle Cheney says hi, from his 3rd club.

Would disagree,  he has done very well for a player of his modest talents. Success is relative. He can take pride that he was around even as a small cog in Hawthorn's  success machine. He knows which side his bread is buttered. This aura of success has no doubt hepled get him his third gig when he was basically washed up after we delisted him at what seems a very long time ago.  If he was picked up by a lower ranked club then his career would have been gone and long forgotten by now. May be the kind  of guy that will build a career in coaching eventually. 

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, america de cali said:

Would disagree,  he has done very well for a player of his modest talents.  He can take pride that he was around even as a small cog in Hawthorn's  success machine. He knows which side his bread is buttered. This aura of success has no doubt hepled get him his third gig when he was basically washed up after we delisted him at what seems a very long time ago.  If he was picked up by a lower ranked club then his career would have been gone and long forgotten by now. May be the kind  of guy that will build a career in coaching eventually. 

Could not agree more. Total respect to Kyle for carving out a career in the AFL. Played some important games for the Hawks during his time there, played his role and was important depth. Doing similar things with the Crows. Not bad for a bloke the dees, who were at the bottom of the ladder at the time, thought was not good enough for a game and was traded for SFA. 

Love players who get the most out of they have and as you rightly say he is the sort of fella who might carve out a successful coaching career. The best coaches, with a few exceptions that prove the rule (i'm thinking Barrassi, Matthews and Blight) are more often than not exactly such journey men who have extracted the max out of their ability.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, america de cali said:

Would disagree,  he has done very well for a player of his modest talents.  He can take pride that he was around even as a small cog in Hawthorn's  success machine. He knows which side his bread is buttered. This aura of success has no doubt hepled get him his third gig when he was basically washed up after we delisted him at what seems a very long time ago.  If he was picked up by a lower ranked club then his career would have been gone and long forgotten by now. May be the kind  of guy that will build a career in coaching eventually. 

Sorry disagree, struggled to get a game in the Seniors and only did because of injury.  Traded to Crows for next to nothing, may have played 12 games last year but again did bugger all in them (like the Dees days), pretty poor finals series also.  You cannot say a player has "done pretty well" if they are at their 3rd club after being traded for a 3rd round pick then then being traded again for next to nothing (in a deal that hurt my brain trying to figure out).

Don't get me wrong, all credit to him to still be playing AFL, but i would not call it a "Ex Melbourne player + Hawthorn = success" moment.

13 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

Sorry disagree, struggled to get a game in the Seniors and only did because of injury.  Traded to Crows for next to nothing, may have played 12 games last year but again did bugger all in them (like the Dees days), pretty poor finals series also.  You cannot say a player has "done pretty well" if they are at their 3rd club after being traded for a 3rd round pick then then being traded again for next to nothing (in a deal that hurt my brain trying to figure out).

Don't get me wrong, all credit to him to still be playing AFL, but i would not call it a "Ex Melbourne player + Hawthorn = success" moment.

In fact you saw opposition teams try to isolate him as he was seen as the weak link - both at the Hawks and the Crows. Not sure if it is footspeed or agility but he always seems to be pitted against much taller opponents.

57 minutes ago, nutbean said:

In fact you saw opposition teams try to isolate him as he was seen as the weak link - both at the Hawks and the Crows. Not sure if it is footspeed or agility but he always seems to be pitted against much taller opponents.

I thought the coach crucified him at the Hawks. He is a 183 cm back pocket type yet he was often asked to take on the 196 cm forward gorilla if the hawks were undermanned down back. I think I remember him manning up the likes of Hawkins while they had Gibson running around as third man up doing the easy stuff!  

57 minutes ago, nutbean said:

I thought the coach crucified him at the Hawks. He is a 183 cm back pocket type yet he was often asked to take on the 196 cm forward gorilla if the hawks were undermanned down back. I think I remember him manning up the likes of Hawkins while they had Gibson running around as third man up doing the easy stuff!  

1 hour ago, america de cali said:

after we delisted him

Cheney was not delisted, he was traded.  At the time he was highly respected by MFC but they felt he was behind a number of players and wouldn't get much of a go. Hawks enquired and we traded him there for steak knives to help him have more opportunity.  We would have retained him on the list had there been no takers.

16 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

i agree (except that he was 186cm)

1 hour ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Not a footballer 

Not sure why you feel compelled to say this, it's unnecessarily derogatory and clearly not right. He's not best 22 clearly but he's carved out a nine year AFL career albeit with 3 clubs.  He's got games with the Premiers and served them well as a depth play.

He's a footballer that can hold his own in any circles other than the elite level.  Rather than make stupid statements why not just give a little credit where it's due.

But I doubt it's in your nature, you love potting players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Not sure why you feel compelled to say this, it's unnecessarily derogatory and clearly not right. He's not best 22 clearly but he's carved out a nine year AFL career albeit with 3 clubs.  He's got games with the Premiers and served them well as a depth play.

He's a footballer that can hold his own in any circles other than the elite level.  Rather than make stupid statements why not just give a little credit where it's due.

But I doubt it's in your nature, you love potting players.

I was talking about Fitzpatrick.

The very subject of this thread.

3 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Not a footballer.

Sure he might get games because of injuries. (example: Roughhead).

He'll do nothing more than what Spangher has done for them. 

Injury insurance. Hole fillers. 

If he does what Spangher did then he will have a premiership medallion around his neck.

Can't see it happening but good luck to him anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Earl Hood said:

Yup and  I never really understood this....

• Like 1