The Kalani White Thread

olisik

54 minutes ago, Deelectable said:

THIS!!

I'm glad you shouted your response so I could just hear you over the cacophony of all those restraint of trade lawyers licking their collective chops.  :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 21/05/2024 at 07:40, Dee Boys said:

Shifter Sheehan has him in contention for next year’s pick 1 in today’s Herald Sun. 

“Kalani White is a player who could quickly spike, with the 198cm tall already having shown great signs at both ends of the ground. 

White is a father-son prospect for Melbourne next year — where his father Jeff played 236 AFL games — but is also a member of the Gold Coast Suns Academy given the family is now living in Queensland.”

“A tall defender, White also showed that he can go forward in the under-16 championships last year and excited with his athleticism and outstanding overhead marking. He has a supernatural leap and the size to win the contest or bring the ball to ground to the benefit of his team. During the under-16 championships last year he was rarely beaten one-on-one and averaged 7.3 disposals and 2.3 marks playing predominately deep in defence to win All-Australian honours. He has taken another step at under-18 level with the Suns, looking composed with his ball use and decision making down back and averaging 10 disposals and five marks from his first six matches. He is the son of former No.1 draft pick and Melbourne ruckman Jeff White, making him eligible both as a father-son for the Demons and as an Academy player for the Suns in 2025”.

I didn’t think Gold Coast had instant access to top 20 academy players? Similar to Melbournes Mac Andrew rule

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxdee said:

I didn’t think Gold Coast had instant access to top 20 academy players? Similar to Melbournes Mac Andrew rule

northern academy rules don't have the same restrictions as southern nga rules

there has never been a top 20 or 40 rule for them

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

On 25/05/2024 at 16:35, Skuit said:

If he chooses to stay in Queensland as a personal preference, fair enough. But if he is swayed by some sort of outside cap sweeteners that would be highly aggravating.

Either we need to make sure the AFL auditors are all over it, or get involved in the same game and not play by the strict rules as is our style if they choose to turn a blind eye.

I recall we were once paying for the university fees of a player's girlfriend? With sponsorship ties, etc. there are so many ways to work around the cap. We should call in PwC. 

The AFL needs to do a "Gettable" item on Kalani pronto, in furtherance of them getting him to GCS, and as further confirmation that they (The AFL) are  the unrivalled draft tamperers of the competition.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, greenwaves said:

I don't understand.  Would that stop him from nominating Gold Coast?

Nothing. He has a choice to make.

He is however a mad Demon and has been to down to Vic and visited the club multiple times. We've been welcoming him and his old man Jeff back for years, and had Kalani train with us when it was permitted. I'd be absolutely shocked if he didn't nominate us. 

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

Posted (edited)

This is the most recent article on this issue, basically he can choose a club his dad played for or a franchise with nice weather:

Inside Trading: Battle for son of a gun, Roo to extend, Cat keen to stay (afl.com.au)

Kalani, a 200cm defender, has lived on the Gold Coast with his family since the end of Jeff's career in 2008, making the Suns eligible to pick him under northern Academy rules when he hits his draft season next year. But he also qualifies as a father-son to the Demons, where Jeff was a star ruckman for 236 games for 11 years. Kalani is a member of the Suns Academy and will play in the Coates Talent League this season for Gold Coast, but has also spent time with the Demons' father-son program as his development grows

Edited by Jibroni

We will know pretty early next year I think.

From an interview with Jeff White he said there is an option for father son/academy players to play VFL with their prospective club.

If he wants to come to Melbourne he may well move down here next year and play for Casey.

On 25/05/2024 at 15:58, Deelectable said:

Everything I have. $10. Seriously,  you have some inside intel? Other than being a lifelong Melbourne supporter why wouldn't he go to the Suns? Weather, lifestyle,  familiarity with players, no need to uproot and the fact that the Suns are on the rise whereas we could be going the other way. This is not to be read as justification for his decision.  It shouldn't be in his hands.  FWIW I sincerely hope you're correct.

I wonder whether playing him as a KPD has anything to do with how he is being groomed (footy wise) for the Suns team. They don't need another ruckman or KPF as they have two gems playing their first year. A KPD on the other hand is the final piece of the puzzle there. 

I too have some doubt that he'll end up at the Dees. It is why it's important that we continue to perform well and remain a destination club. Suns are about to enter the window and we are looking a bit shaky - possibly on the way down. We need to remain competitive and continue to fight tooth and nail.  

34 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I too have some doubt that he'll end up at the Dees

Yeah me too.  Gold Coast are going to be winning multiple premierships and we are nearing the end of the window.  If I was in his position, I'd be choosing Gold Coast.  

• 3 weeks later...