The Kalani White Thread

olisik

On 21/03/2024 at 14:05, Its Time for Another said:

Agree with you that the purpose of the northern academy's was to find players who wouldn't otherwise play AFL. Heeney is the poster boy for the success for this. Blakey and Mills who already played AFL in a junior club are not. But how you police that I don't know. 

Don't agree with you at all on COLA. I live in Sydney and there is a very clearly identifiable difference in COL up here compared to any other city in Australia. Especially compared to somewhere like Geelong who get a massive COL advantage. The whole COLA outrage and the Buddy deal was a scurrilous beat up by Eddie Everywhere. The COLA component of the salary cap was audited by the AFL every year. It was allocated per rata to each player on the list. There was no pooling of the money and giving it to just one player, Buddy. Swans and GWS will always run with a substantial disadvantage at. attracting players because of this disparity. It has had a significant effect on their trading since it was taken away. 

Sidney at a disadvantage at  attracting players they've never had a problem

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Deelectable said:

It will really test my loyalty to this game and following AFL should Kalani end up at the Suns. On one hand the AFL, media and football world spruik the romanticism of the notion of a son following in his father's footsteps at his beloved club. On the other, a contrived academy rule can gazump this  notion to rob a club the opportunity of recruiting a 'favourite son'. Read Nick Blakey. Make up your mind! It's an absolute farce. To lose a 10+ year potential KP is unpalatable. If the AFL really want F/S to remain it should always take precedence over gluttonous northern academies.

That says something more about north then the system, his father obviously didn't really love  North, 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Purple77 said:

Academies are meant to generate interest to those who wouldn't otherwise play the game.

Should not apply to F/S. Makes a mockery of the intent.

mockery is one of the many synonyms for afl

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 2

On 02/05/2024 at 09:24, Gawndy the Great said:

How old are his twin brothers? Can we possibly break a record and have 3 White's playing at the one time for the same club? All KPP (CHB, Ruc, CHF)!

3 Whites and 2 Browns???

Sounding a bit like like Reservoir Dogs!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

3 Whites and 2 Browns???

Sounding a bit like like Reservoir Dogs!

Then do we recruit Tom Green from GWS and Toby Pink from North? Honoury mention Mason Redman. Unfortunately Simon Black and Robbie Grey have retired.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
On 02/05/2024 at 09:24, Gawndy the Great said:

How old are his twin brothers? Can we possibly break a record and have 3 White's playing at the one time for the same club? All KPP (CHB, Ruc, CHF)!

12 or so, i think?

a long while off

the father-son rules could have changed six times by the time they're draft eligible!

Edited by whatwhat say what
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sounds like a much closer race for his services than it was a couple of years ago. Kalani's always been a Melbourne supporter but the lure of staying at home and playing with the mates he's come through the Suns with would be really strong.

Good to hear Jeff say the Dees have been fantastic with Kalani and the family though, sounds like we're doing all we can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

Just now, Dee Boys said:

Sounds like a much closer race for his services than it was a couple of years ago. Kalani's always been a Melbourne supporter but the lure of staying at home and playing with the mates he's come through the Suns with would be really strong.

Good to hear Jeff say the Dees have been fantastic with Kalani and the family though, sounds like we're doing all we can.

kalani is mad melbourne and has been integrated into our culture over a long period of time

as jeff himself said in the interview, kalani has only been involved in the suns' academy for 12-18 months

the bigger q is around what changes are made to academy / father-son bidding processes and how that effects everyone going forward 

it was interesting jeff said that the '07 crop' is even stronger than last year's draft haul that gc17 was able to claim, which means that it might be harder for gc17 to 'claim' all those locals that are part of the talent pathway

kalani is coming to the dees imo and it sounds like he's developing really nicely as a talent

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Surely Kalani wants to hear the roar of the G at a Prime time club, Play In Anzac eve and King's Birthday clashes or play in front of 5k fans every 2nd week.

The choice is clear for the young lad, I'm sure he has recieved all the advice in the world, but I reckon the year 2021 cemented where he wants to play his football.

Another in 2024 wouldn't go astray either.

On the other hand the club would have been sending ex players kids club supporter packs since they've been knee high to a grasshopper like all good clubs should.

Not worried one bit about Kalani's decision.

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Dee Boys said:

I think Jeff is just being diplomatic, which he has to be of course given his involvement in Queensland footy.

I think the new points rules will actually help as Jeff mentioned the brother of Bodhi Uwland is expected to go high, plus another player.

If Kalani is a top 10-20 pick they probably wouldn't be able to pick them all up anyway, so his manager will probably push him towards the Dees anyway.

I'm pretty comfortable he chooses us anyway but just food for thought.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

I think Jeff is just being diplomatic, which he has to be of course given his involvement in Queensland footy.

I think the new points rules will actually help as Jeff mentioned the brother of Bodhi Uwland is expected to go high, plus another player.

If Kalani is a top 10-20 pick they probably wouldn't be able to pick them all up anyway, so his manager will probably push him towards the Dees anyway.

I'm pretty comfortable he chooses us anyway but just food for thought.

no, suns don't have the top 40 pick cap like other academies

hence why they were able to pick up four in the top 20 last year

• Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

no, suns don't have the top 40 pick cap like other academies

hence why they were able to pick up four in the top 20 last year

Wasn't referring to that, more that the AFL will be tightening rules so they can't use 4-5 picks in the 30s or 40s to get academy selections.

So if they have 2-3 players in the top 10-20 it will be more difficult for them to take all of them.