Jared Rivers' career could be over

Henrietta Lumbago

I don't begrudge rivs leaving.

He gave his all for his entire time here, the club was a mess, if he had stayed he would have had more crappy seasons.

Wyl, you say he should have stayed and taught the youngsters. No.

That is the clubs job and if the club wasn't such a shambles he would have stayed.

If I was Rivs and saw Neeld walk in and had an offer from the cats I would have left too.

Jared Rivers played his best football in the year he won the Rising Star award. From there it went downhill a bit and plateaued. I believe that he never reached the heights he was capable of and in the end, even before the Bailey bust-up which obviously soured his relationship (and those of other senior players) with the club, he had lost the enthusiasm he had for the game in his early years.

Decided to leave when we couldn't afford to lose him...Chasing September on the back of other peoples work

Not in the same category as Frawley who gave up whilst still being paid

But ultimately a deserter...That is how i view Free Agency...

Yes we got new Young Talent in return....But who is there to teach them??

We do not have a leadership group......

Rivers had a crack.. Was a gun when he started.. Saw no success.. Doesn't bother me he left.. I was hoping he would get that Flag he wanted.. He would of been better than Frawley has at Hawthorn had he ended up at the hawks..

Rivers had a crack.. Was a gun when he started.. Saw no success.. Doesn't bother me he left.. I was hoping he would get that Flag he wanted.. He would of been better than Frawley has at Hawthorn had he ended up at the hawks..

Ridiculous comment. This is Frawley's first season at Hawthorn, the team that are favourites for the flag. His absence due to injury had an impact on Hawthorn's structures, and while they still managed to win a lot of those games, they certainly missed him. And, as soon as Frawley was fit, he was straight back in to said premiership favourite's side.

Rivers would've been competing against Gibson for a spot on their backline, and I know who'd be my first choice.

The thing for me was that Rivers had the opportunity to show leadership at the MFC, and he elected not to (he's not on his own there, but I feel the same about a number of players from a couple of years ago).

Sadly, my lasting memory of JR at the MFC was the game against Collingwood where he was made to look insipid. It's going to be a big call, but I don't think I've seen a Melbourne player clearly throw in the towel as much as Rivers did that day. I've been a supporter for over 35 years.

And for those that are/were hoping he got that flag he desired...fcuk that. Pavlich "deserves" a flag. Robert Harvey is a bloke that deserved a flag, Robbie Flower was too. Not Rivers.

• Like 2

Ridiculous comment. This is Frawley's first season at Hawthorn, the team that are favourites for the flag. His absence due to injury had an impact on Hawthorn's structures, and while they still managed to win a lot of those games, they certainly missed him. And, as soon as Frawley was fit, he was straight back in to said premiership favourite's side.

Rivers would've been competing against Gibson for a spot on their backline, and I know who'd be my first choice.

The thing for me was that Rivers had the opportunity to show leadership at the MFC, and he elected not to (he's not on his own there, but I feel the same about a number of players from a couple of years ago).

Sadly, my lasting memory of JR at the MFC was the game against Collingwood where he was made to look insipid. It's going to be a big call, but I don't think I've seen a Melbourne player clearly throw in the towel as much as Rivers did that day. I've been a supporter for over 35 years.

And for those that are/were hoping he got that flag he desired...fcuk that. Pavlich "deserves" a flag. Robert Harvey is a bloke that deserved a flag, Robbie Flower was too. Not Rivers.

Letting you respond to your own comment.

• Like 1

He wasn't in our best 22 when he left, so good luck to him for stretching his career for another four years or so.

Ultimately he played his best football as third man up - when teams woke up to this and made him be accountable he was found out. Just an average - good player at the end of the day.

Insightful.

Maybe I'm being unfair.

For all I know you haven't been to or seen a Melbourne match since that day in 2011 and that was the first match you'd been to or seen since 2006?

Carlton will take him.

Always was a fan of Rivers and held no grudges towards him when he moved on, he always gave his all on the field and went through some very dark periods with the footy club.

I would have loved to have seen him taste some real success and wish him all the best in whatever he does in the future

Was a fan. DID hold a grudge. Still do. I like WYL's categorisation of "chasing September on the back of other people's work".

• Like 1

And I hope Pavlich gets it...even though that means Ross Lyon does too.

Some Melbourne supporters are very fond of rewriting history ie Stan Alves walked out on Melbourne - He did not walk out he was sacked. Scott Thompson walked out on Melbourne - he did not walk out he was contracted & would have stayed if a swap could not be arranged.

My reading of the situation was that Neeld made no effort to keep Rivers & effectively showed him the door & was happy for him to go & pick up a compo pick.

Some Melbourne supporters are very fond of rewriting history ie Stan Alves walked out on Melbourne - He did not walk out he was sacked. Scott Thompson walked out on Melbourne - he did not walk out he was contracted & would have stayed if a swap could not be arranged.

My reading of the situation was that Neeld made no effort to keep Rivers & effectively showed him the door & was happy for him to go & pick up a compo pick.

Because Neeld, and a select few on here, knew that most of the senior players on the list at the time of 186 needed to go. They were toxic for the club, and only the ones that could right the wrong were given the opportunity to prove themselves.

Make no mistake, that game was nearly the death of the club. How many other times during a B&F count has a game not been counted? Things had to change in every facet of the organisation, and the playing group was an equally important facet that needed changing.

If he was keen on compo, he could've at least waited to pick up Byrnes, who no one else wanted, as a DFA instead of diluting our compo for Rivers and Moloney.

Because Neeld, and a select few on here, knew that most of the senior players on the list at the time of 186 needed to go. They were toxic for the club, and only the ones that could right the wrong were given the opportunity to prove themselves.

Make no mistake, that game was nearly the death of the club. How many other times during a B&F count has a game not been counted? Things had to change in every facet of the organisation, and the playing group was an equally important facet that needed changing.

And just why did 186 happen ? Didn't the senior players go to the Board that week and complain about the interference from a certain CEO & his mate & the fact that they were undermining the coach ?

This small historical matter is conveniently forgotten by some supporters.

• Like 2

And just why did 186 happen ? Didn't the senior players go to the Board that week and complain about the interference from a certain CEO & his mate & the fact that they were undermining the coach ?

This small historical matter is conveniently forgotten by some supporters.

That's fine, and isn't forgotten by me.

Board had to go - because of the reasons you stated

Coach had to go - because someone "had to" after the game, and it wasn't going to be the CEO

CEO had to go - because of the, well, whatever reason you want from the book of reasons

Senior players had to go - because they made a statement in the most horrific way possible

None of this is revisionism for me (and the likes of WYL), we demanded it at the time, and this year should see the last of the skeletons removed.

Rivers took the chance that was offered, to leave a workplace that was in turmoil. I'm sure a lot of people here would take the same offer if in a similar situation with their place of employment. Don't blame him for leaving and really enjoyed watching him play at Melbourne.

• Like 3

This comment makes me wonder if you've even seen Frawley play for Hawthorn this year? He is clueless! Looks like he is still playing for melbourne.. Bombs it long.. Chooses the wrong option.. No idea about the game plan.. His team mates are constantly telling him what he should of done.. He's a good backman.. Reads the ball coming in well.. But it stops there.. Shouldn't be allowed to kick..

This comment makes me wonder if you've even seen Frawley play for Hawthorn this year? He is clueless! Looks like he is still playing for melbourne.. Bombs it long.. Chooses the wrong option.. No idea about the game plan.. His team mates are constantly telling him what he should of done.. He's a good backman.. Reads the ball coming in well.. But it stops there.. Shouldn't be allowed to kick..

He is definitely struggling. Looked a different player when I watched him. One does wonder what happened to his AA form.

• Like 1

Scott Thompson walked out on Melbourne - he did not walk out he was contracted & would have stayed if a swap could not be arranged.

WTF? That's the definition of walking out, they begged him to stay but he asked us to trade him to Adelaide, obviously he couldn't stay after that - are you suggesting we are supposed to be grateful that he didn't make us lose him for nothing? Great thanks Scott. God our supporter base is soft

• Like 1

I would love for Melbourne to be a club that was successful on the back of home grown talent where no players changed clubs. But changing teams for one reason or another is on the rise and I have to deal with that. The flip side is that we have Garlett, Dawes, Tyson, Vince, Michie, (the much loved) Cross etc running around in blue and red.

Honestly eventually I end up wishing pretty much all ex Dees well, including Rivers, who was a favourite player of mine. The only player that I maintain the rage for is a former number 1 draft pick who currently wears orange.

I would love for Melbourne to be a club that was successful on the back of home grown talent where no players changed clubs. But changing teams for one reason or another is on the rise and I have to deal with that. The flip side is that we have Garlett, Dawes, Tyson, Vince, Michie, (the much loved) Cross etc running around in blue and red.

Honestly eventually I end up wishing pretty much all ex Dees well, including Rivers, who was a favourite player of mine. The only player that I maintain the rage for is a former number 1 draft pick who currently wears orange.

Nice thought, but we really prevented any chance of that through atrocious drafting and arguably worse development.

Here's hoping that dream will be fulfilled with the nucleus of Hogan, Brayshaw, Petracca, Salem, Viney, McDonald etc.