Grand Final Eve Public Holiday confirmed

Liberal supporters barracking for the Melbourne Football Club complaining about how this will affect money/business.

Really keeping old stereotypes alive there guys. Well done.

Surprisingly, Demonland is a great (oxymoron) bastion of leftism.

• Like 4

You just don't get. You probably get 4 weeks paid annual leave and paid sick days, and you want additional days off. Small Business Owners are lucky to get a week off a year, and casual workers can't afford to lose shifts, like I will because of this inane holiday. BTW, our business isn't price based, so your theory is redundant.

I do get it. I have previously been a long term casual worker and now I am part of a small business. I do get 4 weeks leave, of which the first 8 days automatically goes at xmas. Basically most workers get 2 weeks a year outside of Christmas. That isn't much time to spend with their kids or spend their money at tourism/hospitality/recreational services which will generate additional income as a result of this decision. In a society that is as time poor but financially well off as ours, there is nothing lost by having some time at aside where work isn't the priority.

If a small business owner cannot manage this into their yearly budget they are a terrible manager. The carry on its effect is over the top.

I agree some casual staff may lose a shift, but only if the business closes. If it stays open the casual staff are just as likely to gain a shift, as the regular full and part timers take the day off so extra casuals are required to fill the roster.

And I'd love to know what business isn't price based. Are you giving away your good and services for free? Or are you a not for profit organization? Otherwise there is a price somewhere. And that price should factor this in.

• Like 4

Honestly Gvt lost the plot......

What about respecting a real public holiday eg...

Anzac Day all retail shops should be closed all day not 1/2 to pay respect for those who fought & died for Aus

Labour day is a day to respect the workers of this country & yet everything is open & now wanting to strip back penalty rates...

With this holiday

We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,

"Before the year is out."

• Like 1

The moral of this thread:

Never discuss politics, religion, money or Jack Watts with (demonland)friends.

Or alternatively, and probably easier, don't have any Demonland friends.

As a general rule, public holidays are crap.

A nice fat bonus through the year for anyone on a stable annual salary, and all perfectly convenient for anyone engaged in mainstream bunkum collective rituals.

It's a pretty profound arrogance to think that everyone else has to take a day off to celebrate that thing that you care about.

Hence the Easter football debate and general (but taboo) Christmas irritation.

But this... well... it is empty of meaning to say the least.

All that is left is a compulsory day off; a special day where the low paid get to go unpaid.

But this... well... it is empty of meaning to say the least.

All that is left is a compulsory day off; a special day where the low paid get to go unpaid.

I think it would be better to make this a public holiday in place of Cup Day... at least the GF celebrates elite sporting achievement.

I have worked in the city for a decade. The parade, there is a buzz around the city. It's a normal work day, but it's Friday, it's a parade, it's a celebratory atmosphere.

This will ruin the day.

The city will be a ghost town.

Why would a cafe that serves white collars open on that day?

Absolutely! I mean look at how few people head into Melbourne on Labor Day, Queens Birthday, Cup Day. I swear i've seen tumble weeds down Bourke Street....

I'm convinced after only two men and a dog turn up to the parade the Victorian Government will resign out of shame and never compete an election again.....

• Like 2

Absolutely! I mean look at how few people head into Melbourne on Labor Day, Queens Birthday, Cup Day. I swear i've seen tumble weeds down Bourke Street....

I'm convinced after only two men and a dog turn up to the parade the Victorian Government will resign out of shame and never compete an election again.....

Shame ... politicians ... shame .... politicians ....... seomthing's not adding up here ....

Hopefully the hordes of non AFL Melburnians will take the opportunity for a long weekend in our regional areas and spread some money around to small businesses there. It's not all about Melbourne.

i hope so , but for retail saturday is just a normal working day , so we will be back to work ! not that I will be taking the friday off anyway

Edited by markc

I have no problem with an extra public holiday in the second half of the year. From Easter to Christmas there are only 2 (melbourne cup and queens birthday) so an extra one gives people a break. And it is in school holidays which is important for families.

Anyone who is saying that it will "cost" too much is focusing on that particular weeks balance sheet or just the cost and not the bigger picture. An extra public holiday reduces staff output by 0.4% for the year, or assuming double time would increase wage costs by that much. Assuming staff costs are half your product cost then you are only looking at 0.2% increase in your product price.

Will it impact this year? Maybe. But when you do your business planning and assessment you factor these things into your cost and pass them on to customers. Standard annual wage increases would impact more than this. All Victorian business is on the sane boat so it had minimal impact in competitiveness in most industries.

If you run a small business in hospitality change a 20% public holiday surcharge. People will still pay it.

I'm not sure I like grand final Friday though. It is set up to fail. If the parade flops it will be front and center on the news. I would have picked another day in those school holidays and found another reason to justify it.

You clearly dont run a small business. There is no way people will cop that. And BTW casual pay rates go from c$20ph to c$35ph, a lot more than 20%.

• Like 1

You clearly dont run a small business. There is no way people will cop that. And BTW casual pay rates go from c$20ph to c$35ph, a lot more than 20%.

Small business will make a killing when the white shoe brigade roll in from Perth.

Cafe owners never pay staff properly anyway.

The only losers are big business tied to awards.

$35 per hour is approaching a living wage-for one day only.

The costs will be defrayed by the extra demand for food, booze,hotels,services.

You could always fly in 457 workers for the day perhaps or we could get Gina Rhinehart to give everyone a pep talk so they work faster?

Small business will make a killing when the white shoe brigade roll in from Perth.

Cafe owners never pay staff properly anyway.

The only losers are big business tied to awards.

$35 per hour is approaching a living wage-for one day only.

The costs will be defrayed by the extra demand for food, booze,hotels,services.

You could always fly in 457 workers for the day perhaps or we could get Gina Rhinehart to give everyone a pep talk so they work faster?

Living costs rise alongside wage increases. They are mutually exclusive. The more you pay someone the more the product or service costs. A living wage is high because the cost to provide basic services is so high.

It's of no advantage to hard working schoolteachers who deserve an extra day or three off.

Think of the poor ice dealers who will be frantically trying to keep up with demand.

Not to mention the sex workers.

About time Perth gave something back to the rest of the country.

Living costs rise alongside wage increases. They are mutually exclusive. The more you pay someone the more the product or service costs. A living wage is high because the cost to provide basic services is so high.

Rent,supermarket food and energy will not spike because of one day.

CPI will not change because a few thousand workers get more money for one day.

Big Business should suck it up.

Small business should be happy.

CPI is a yearly figure and i suspect more will benefit than not.

Which only shows that you're biassed and don't recognise how deplorable your side of politics has been.

They are the greatest wasters of public money in history.

Be proud.

My side of politics? how would you know what my side of politics is?

Rent,supermarket food and energy will not spike because of one day.

CPI will not change because a few thousand workers get more money for one day.

Big Business should suck it up.

Small business should be happy.

CPI is a yearly figure and i suspect more will benefit than not.

You're missing the bigger picture. Of course they won't go up for one day.

But penalty on any given public holiday tend to lead into a rise in costs over time. Penalty rates generally come hand in hand with rising minimum wages which create that rise.