Harley Bennell

GawnWithTheWind

I'm still each way on Bennell, but would think Jetta and Lumumba would have a better chance of helping Bennell get on track than Hunt.

I do wonder whether recruiting Bennell would potentially impact any recruiting possibilities out of Gold Coast. Would Prestia or O'Meara (for example) avoid a club that had Harley on their lists because they had enough of his distractions? Purely a hypothetical.

What has Lumumba got to do with it? He's Brazilian and doesn't party or use drugs!?

HB is a scapegoat, very INTERESTING, THERE WHERE 13 PLAYERS WHO HUNT SAID TOOK DRUGS WITH HIM, since the pictures come out with HIM snorting drugs the other 12 players have not been punished or named, who are they, HB is taking the rap for the other 12.

Scapegoat??

Just dumb or unlucky, depends which way you look at it.

Bernie can take him under his wing

Well, at least he will be somewhat supervised out 'at the clubs'...

I am not scared about recreational drug use - if you grab 40 blokes 20-30 and give them $275k on average - you are going to have a problem with drugs.

Keeping it under control, in moderation, and under wraps is how we deal with any 'vices' for us normal people in our jobs and it is no different for footy players.

Happy for the club to trade for him.

• Like 1

Bernie can take him under his wing

I was thinking Simon Goodwin.

If there's someone at the club who can related to Harley in regards to fighting his demons, overcoming some adversity and working towards redemption, I imagine Goodwin would be the man.

Well, at least he will be somewhat supervised out 'at the clubs'...

I am not scared about recreational drug use - if you grab 40 blokes 20-30 and give them $275k on average - you are going to have a problem with drugs.

Keeping it under control, in moderation, and under wraps is how we deal with any 'vices' for us normal people in our jobs and it is no different for footy players.

Happy for the club to trade for him.

That's a pretty dim view you

have of Australian society.

Edited by Kali

That's a pretty dim view you

have of Australian society.

I would prefer to deal with reality, rather than work toward an unachievable ideal.

You don't have any 'vices'?

If you smoke weed but make sure you don't drive, or have any direct responsibility for someone at the time, and do it safely, you are keeping it under control.

If you drink but not to excess, then you are enjoying a vice in moderation...

If you don't tell a colleague about last sat night/sun morn then you are keeping it under wraps...

I think at least one of these would apply to 95% of the people on here and out there.

• Like 3

I hope not. I work in an emergency department so I do see a lot of drug abuse but I don't think it's as widespread as you say.

Within my demographic, male 20-25, it is rampant. And these are guys that earn a fraction of what the footy players earn.

I struggle to fathom how you could work in an emergency dept and not already know this...

One needs to look outside of one's small sample size views. The figures on ice for example are not nearly as bad as the lay press particularly the HUN would have us believe. I also don't think there's anything wrong with striving for ideals. Accepting that most people are drug abusers of illegal drugs and 'that's ok' just isn't my view and never will be.
  • Like 3

One needs to look outside of one's small sample size views. The figures on ice for example are not nearly as bad as the lay press particularly the HUN would have us believe. I also don't think there's anything wrong with striving for ideals. Accepting that most people are drug abusers of illegal drugs and 'that's ok' just isn't my view and never will be.

Yeah mate, you obviously walk around with blinkers on.

It's everywhere.

• Like 1

I would prefer to deal with reality, rather than work toward an unachievable ideal.

I think at least one of these would apply to 95% of the people on here and out there.

IMHO a glass or two of wine (for instance) is no vice but quite beneficial.

(However a bottle of scotch a day is quite excessive!)

As I told you I see a lot of it. However the drug and alcohol experts keep statistics and it's not as widespread as you might think. Except in the circles you move in obviously. And being widespread does not make it acceptable or right behaviour.

Edited by Kali
  • Like 1

Nothing to do with moral police etc. etc. It's about being able to perform a physically demanding team sport at an elite level, week in, week out. Perhaps some here don't realise just how far these players and their bodies are pushed, physically (and mentally), and how close to the edge they are - and need to be. There is little/no margin. And it's not just about drugs/alcohol, it's about everything from diet to sleep to recovery etc. etc.

If Harley can meet the requirements, great, get him. But you would want to do your homework.

• Like 1

As I told you I see a lot of it. However the drug and alcohol experts keep statistics and it's not as widespread as you might think. Except in the circles you move in obviously. And being widespread does not make it acceptable or right behaviour.

Society?

• Like 3

I hope not. I work in an emergency department so I do see a lot of drug abuse but I don't think it's as widespread as you say.

Are you kidding?

ETOH, THC, LSD, amphetamines, cocaine.....Australians love drugs and use them lots. And most people have no objections to using drugs. I cannot tell you the number of tradies, builders, concreters etc that I've come across on gear of one sort or another. Massive feature of "ordinary aussie" lifestyle. Massive.

• Like 6

Are you kidding?

ETOH, THC, LSD, amphetamines, cocaine.....Australians love drugs and use them lots. And most people have no objections to using drugs. I cannot tell you the number of tradies, builders, concreters etc that I've come across on gear of one sort or another. Massive feature of "ordinary aussie" lifestyle. I totally disagree. It's illegal. It ruins lives. It's peddled by organized crime scum.

I totally disagree. It's illegal. It ruins lives. It's peddled by organized crime scum.

Legality and reality are 2 different things.

I'd also say you're quite content being a sheep if you're so caught up in the legality.

Alcohol is legal and ruins many lives.

Organised criminals are littered throughout big business and politics, although you may fail to recognise them.

I now am getting a better understanding of why you post the way you do on football topics...

Baaa.

• Like 1

As I've said I see heaps of drug and alcohol abuse where I work. It's a huge problem here and worldwide. That doesn't make it acceptable.

It's not acceptable at all, but it should be expected to a degree. That degree should be as little as possible.

Edited by Django
  • Like 2

If you smoke weed but make sure you don't drive, or have any direct responsibility for someone at the time, and do it safely, you are keeping it under control.

If you don't tell a colleague about last sat night/sun morn then you are keeping it under wraps...

Bennell has bigger problems than alcohol and weed.

When Guy McKenna comes out and says that GC will derive the benefit of a pick 2 - with Bennell gone - that should tell everyone where its at.

But, McKenna still has to take some responsibility, because GC did not do their homework. Bennell has been a naughty boy for quite some time.

Edited by KingDingAling
  • Like 2