• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

THE SAGA CONTINUES - WADA APPEALS

I liked the bit about wada nominating a belgian senior counsel as their cas adjudicator.

As one of the few (only?) card-carrying Belgians to post on Demonland, it's a big day to see one of my countrymen holding the future of our sport in his hands.

Never thought I'd live to see the day ... nor did Essendon probably.

• Like 7

I liked the bit about wada nominating a belgian senior counsel as their cas adjudicator.

He wont know or care dot 1 about the sport of afl.

Also it speaks volumes that wada want to get it as far away from the afl is possible. Combine that with asadas lack of willingness to appeal via the afl and its pretty safe to say the afl arent thought of very highly.

Pretty much the rules were written on the assumption that one day there would be a cheating player/club and their governing body would try to protect them. Which is why the 3 parties get to nominate adjudicators and why it is an international body.

Ess* are screwed.

In my view this was always going to happen that WADA would try to take these hearings to Switzerland and indeed I predicted it on here about a couple of weeks ago. What has been a surprise, but in retrospect a logical one, is that WADA has nominated a foreign Arbitrator. This has not been the precedent with Australian cases, but it is most welcome.

As I have said many times on here, WADA are seriously [censored] off with Essendon and the AFL especially as to how ASADA have been treated. I have no doubt part of McDevitt's brief to WADA in Montreal would have been if possible to get the hearing as far from the toxic atmosphere of Australia if they want to conduct a fair appeal. You just imagine the public pressure which would be exerted on Arbitrators if the hearings are held in Sydney or Mebourne? It would almost impossible, and the decision as to location would be made with this in mind.

With the WADA nominee coming from Belgium, no doubt the Essendon one from Australia, it is then up to both parties to agree to a Chairman. Given their attitudes, with WADA effectively having a veto over the Chairman, this is unlikely to happen in which case CAS nominates the Chairman, in all likelihood another European. If so, two of the three Arbitrators will have no detailed knowledge of the case and therefore be able to bring totally dispassionate analysis to it, and arrange rulings in favour of compulsion of subpoenaring of witnesses and testimonies under oath, in Swiss Courts if the hearings are eventually held in Switzerland.

This looks like a disaster for Hird and Essendon

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 12

Yes , well done 2014 in picking the venue. Surprised me but gladdened me. If I wasn't the cynical old bastard that I am I. Would almost be thinking that Australian sport , or at least the recalcitrant component of it , just got placed on level pegging with Chinese swimming and the old East German Athletics!!! Hilarious in a fashion, damning and shameful in reality. Thank you Hird and Little you've taken us all for a ride and left us in the SHlT !!!

The appointment of such a non Oz arbiter will reinforce how clinically it will be reviewed. No weight to anyone's notoriety or reputation will be afforded nor should it ever have. Now events will be reviewed in a very matter of fact manner. What happened, what likely has happened , what was intended to happen and by whom for who. I would be extremely surprised if now that the diabolical misdoings are not seen as they were.

Some will be smiling at the thought that a nice junket awaits, for others it may be finally dawning upon them that a much longer holiday is earmarked.

There will still be the local spin, the fanboys won't be able to help themselves to continue to barrow out the rubbish dressed as supposed heartfelt and needed redress. These bozos will become even more obvious to the vastly still ignorant footy public as the inconvenient truth is 'unveiled' by the more respected component of the 4th estate. Gradually the public's view will swing. Only the despots fervently hanging onto the Hird-line will remain on that side of the fence.

When this sorry chapter is over this country deserves a Royal Commision into the practices of sporting codes, their administrations and the ability of them to honour and deliver the codes of conduct and adherence of agreed drug/doping protocols. The smiting of upstarts like Hurd and his ilk should be the start, not the finish of a good hard look into this disgusting trend.

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 6

EFC- Who do we own, no who do we know in Switzerland? What do you mean only the bank manager! Were farked!

Lawyers- Fail

Money - Fail

Guns?

Get that fark Hird on the phone.

• Like 1

Imagine the hird presser after a guilty verdict!

Now that would be amusing to see

Not sure which I would prefer- Hird presser after a guilty verdict with life ban, or Roos presser after consecutive MFC victories.

Not sure which is more likely either.

Edited by monoccular

Totally agree BB there needs to be a Royal Commission into illegal substance use in sport.

Too many back room deals by the AFL for my liking.

It not healthy to have a Boy Club in the AFL as poor decisions are made.

• Like 4

As one of the few (only?) card-carrying Belgians to post on Demonland, it's a big day to see one of my countrymen holding the future of our sport in his hands.

Never thought I'd live to see the day ... nor did Essendon probably.

hope he's not a wally(oon) :blink:

• Like 1

Totally agree BB there needs to be a Royal Commission into illegal substance use in sport.

Too many back room deals by the AFL for my liking.

It not healthy to have a Boy Club in the AFL as poor decisions are made.

time to do some laundry....bring out all the dirty linen...all of it..Get rid of it and get our land back on a sure footing where al lwil know they can compete fairly and equally , the only differing element being their own talent and prowess, as it should be.

• Like 2

Don't underestimate the xenophobic line the local media will roll out when things look bad for EFC in a dastardly foreign court. I can't eat that much popcorn.

• Like 5

this wouldnt be the new Belgian bloke by any chance ??

w2gfwm.jpg

• Like 9

Don't underestimate the xenophobic line the local media will roll out when things look bad for EFC in a dastardly foreign court. I can't eat that much popcorn.

theyre will be a tipping point though Sue....only so much shlt before it all goes everywhere !!

Im pretty sure in Switzerland they understand there are supplements...and there are "SUPPLEMENTS" lol

2uiuq2w.jpg

• Like 1

Hmmm..im just wondering ( salivating actually ) given that this hearing is De Novo...that is..a NEW ONE does that mean the penalties are those as of the newly ratiified 2015 WADA schedule ?? Previous hearing transpired whilst 2 years was maximum....now its 4 !!! please let there be a god !!! :)

• Like 2

when? that would be NOW :roos:

When was the last time anyone unwittingly took methadone for back pain? Ryan Crowley, must have been to see Mr Charters.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/fremantle-tagger-ryan-crowley-unwittingly-took-methadone-for-back-pain-20150519-gh5a9q.html

• Like 4

Dont look now James...thats no Toblerone !!!

20sbti0.jpg

• Like 5

Interesting that electronic News Ltd media 'journos' who are usually very outspoken have yet to place write and article re the Switzerland development. The Hird/EFC/AFL camp must be shell-shocked and are in a bunker somewhere...with lawyers of course to plot action to discredit the process or look for some other technicality to try and stop the on-coming sh.. storm.

The said 'journos' must be waiting for them to come out of the bunker with the script and spin to put in their stories. :o

What I like is that an aussie is head of President of CAS (John Coates) and he would be keen to see Australia's reputation for clean sport maintained. Not that he would be involved but I doubt the AFL et al will get anywhere if they try to use their sporting network buddies to have a chat to him.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

Not only was the AFL bluff called when ASADA passed on the right of appeal to another AFL Tribunal, the AFL et al have been 'snookered' by WADA!

The way I read it Swiss law will apply on the conduct of and evidence allowed in the case.

The posturing and maneuvering will make interesting theatre.

'Checkmate' is how this saga will end!

• Like 1

Hmmm..im just wondering ( salivating actually ) given that this hearing is De Novo...that is..a NEW ONE does that mean the penalties are those as of the newly ratiified 2015 WADA schedule ?? Previous hearing transpired whilst 2 years was maximum....now its 4 !!! please let there be a god !!! :)

Well it may not make that much difference to EFC as the delaying tactic means that the players will have moved or been moved on.

Jobe will still have his Brownlow as the local xenophobic press rail against the injustice of this foreign body ruling on our game.

A far more meaningful result would be an imposition of rigid testing procedures which would no doubt cost the competition a lot of $. The international body has been made aware that our Aussie rules athletes and the competition is awash with funds and will be happy to participate in the redistribution to their cause.

this wouldnt be the new Belgian bloke by any chance ??

w2gfwm.jpg

Lets hope so, if anyone can get to the truth it would be one Hercule Poirot. Especially if Hirdy walked in and thought he was French!

• Like 1

Interesting that electronic News Ltd media 'journos' who are usually very outspoken have yet to place write and article re the Switzerland development. The Hird/EFC/AFL camp must be shell-shocked and are in a bunker somewhere...with lawyers of course to plot action to discredit the process or look for some other technicality to try and stop the on-coming sh.. storm.

The said 'journos' must be waiting for them to come out of the bunker with the script and spin to put in their stories. :o

What I like is that an aussie is head of President of CAS (John Coates) and he would be keen to see Australia's reputation for clean sport maintained. Not that he would be involved but I doubt the AFL et al will get anywhere if they try to use their sporting network buddies to have a chat to him.

Coates will be involved but not on the side of Essendon. He is after all a very senior AOC and IOC official, and the Olympic movement can't stand the way there seems to be one rule for the wealthy football codes and another for all other sports when it comes to drugs in sport in Australia. My bet he is intimately involved in the move to have it heard in Switzerland, and will have considerable sway in the ultimate outcome including the nomination of the Chairman for the hearings which looks like CAS's nominee.

• Like 3

The Hills are Alive.......with the .........

2dilf2a.jpg

• Like 4

1)Coates will be involved but not on the side of Essendon. He is after all a very senior AOC and IOC official, and the Olympic movement

2)can't stand the way there seems to be one rule for the wealthy football codes and another for all other sports when it comes to drugs in sport in Australia.

3)My bet he is intimately involved in the move to have it heard in Switzerland, and

4) will have considerable sway in the ultimate outcome including the nomination of the Chairman for the hearings which looks like CAS's nominee.

1) I said there is no point of the AFL et al. chatting to him

2) I said that: maintain Australia's clean reputation. Not sure where you get the idea of two rules: many examples of footballers being banned eg Saad. Clean Australian sport of all types is Coates' interest, full stop!

3) I doubt they would even need to consult Coates to hold it Switzerland...blind freddy could see the need for it. If anything, he would have made a point of not being lobbied because he is Australian and needs to remain neutral in the eyes of the international community.

4) I hope not - that is just as bad as the AFL pulling the strings in the Tribunal hearing. This time the process needs to be squeaky clean.

BTW, if as you have intimated during this saga, you somehow have more than general public knowledge of this, you should not be making such comments about Coates' sway in the ultimate outcome. I am sure you are wrong but it can still be damaging.

Coates will be keenly interested but he will bend over backwards tomaintain his independence...I would go so far to say that if there was a meeting or a vote on any AFL related matter he may well absent himself or abstain.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero