• PODCAST LIVE @ 8:30pm      

Call: 03 9016 3666 or Skype: Demonland31
    Click Here for LIVE Chat
    If you still want to browse Demonland
    while listening to the Podcast
    choose pop up player below

TuneIn    Opens in New Tab
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Match Preview and Team Selection - Round 6

Demonland

Cross may go at seasons end? In what context?

And telling us the the likes of Viney/Jones are safe!... ummm well yer -_-

Cross will go at seasons end to make way for Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca, VanD, hopefully Trengrove and the already established on ballers jones, Tyson, and whoever else we may pick up in pre season.

He continues to be a great servant of the club though.

• Like 1

Most teams are able two play two ruckman (or a good second ruck) - we don't really have that luxury so Jamar has probably had a high work load.

He also seemed to fade out last year so I don't think it would be a bad idea (against the Swans) - if he goes down with an injury we could be in some trouble.

He is listed at Casey though - maybe he will play 50% or as a resting forward.

Never really had much faith in Spencer (not sure about his tap work) - hope he takes his chance.

If Cross wants to play another 3 years then let him. We have been too keen to get rid of our senior players, instead of letting them help develop our youth. Edited by Thehardtackler

Cross will go at seasons end to make way for Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca, VanD, hopefully Trengrove and the already established on ballers jones, Tyson, and whoever else we may pick up in pre season.

Cross walking would not be good. He's been an immense help down back and also in the middle. He's tired and limited but he's reliable and committed. Until our depth improves we need the likes of Cross to hang around as long as possible.

• Like 4

ProDee, on 09 May 2015 - 10:42 AM, said:

Cross rarely gets his hands on the footy first. He's not "first dibs" and nor is he overly "inside". He's slow and doesn't have elite disposal. I like him and he's added to our hardness around the contest, but I suspect it will be time to move him on at year's end.

The Dogs packed his bags 2 years ago and they'd hardly be regretting their decision. We'll have youth that needs to be exposed to best 22 football at the expense of a 33 year old, which he'll be next year,

17 games

3rd in handballs

3rd in tackles

5th in hard ball gets

3rd in loose ball gets......

We need some experience in the team.....We have already tried the youth only thingy

• Like 5

Cross rarely gets his hands on the footy first. He's not "first dibs" and nor is he overly "inside". He's slow and doesn't have elite disposal. I like him and he's added to our hardness around the contest, but I suspect it will be time to move him on at year's end.

The Dogs packed his bags 2 years ago and they'd hardly be regretting their decision. We'll have youth that needs to be exposed to best 22 football at the expense of a 33 year old, which he'll be next year,

Lol....I would rank him in our top 3 players so far and is one of our best ball users by hand.

> Equal 2nd with the Jones boy in CPs so far this year (per game averages)

> sitting 4th just behind Viney (2 matches only vs 5 for Cross) and ahead of Jones boy for clearances

> 2nd in UPs only to Viney (willingness to not just get the inside ball but work hard for the UP outside when he hasn't got it)

> 1st in Effective Disposals

> 9th in contested marks

> 9th in rebound 50s (willingness to work back... Vince the only mid fielder ahead of him here ranked 8th)

> 6th in 1%s (and No.1 out of all MFC mid fielders)

> 11th in tackles

Gadzooks you're hard to please mate

Edited by Rusty Nails

Lol....I would rank him in our top 3 players so far and is one of our best ball users by hand.

> sitting 4th just behind Viney and ahead of Jones boy for clearances

> 2nd in UPs only to Viney (willingness to not just get the inside ball but work hard for the UP outside when he hasn't got it)

> 9th in contested marks

> 9th in rebound 50s (willingness to work back... Vince the only mid fielder ahead of him here ranked 8th)

> 11th in tackles

Not to mention his influence behind closed doors, and on the track.

• Like 1

17 games

3rd in handballs

3rd in tackles

5th in hard ball gets

3rd in loose ball gets......

We need some experience in the team.....We have already tried the youth only thingy

It's simple. he stays until he doesn't deserve a game. He will know that before the coaches.

• Like 3

The only thing I would dispute is the comment he uses the ball well - he doesn't, if he did he would be elite.

He is in good company at the MFC.

I actually expect our players to go onto the field in white aprons, as they continually butcher the ball.

Cross may go at seasons end? In what context?

And telling us the the likes of Viney/Jones are safe!... ummm well yer -_-

Cross may go because of age. Depending on who gets recruited in the off season.

Viney is still developing and has so much upside.

Jones is safe, just signed a multi year contract 3 x B&F and first year solo captain.

> sitting 4th just behind Viney (2 matches only vs 5 for Cross) and ahead of Jones boy for clearances

> 9th in contested marks

> 11th in tackles

I'm hard because I have a vision of how I want our team to play.

There'd only be maybe one or two other teams in the competition in which Cross would get a regular game.

I wouldn't keep him at year's end.

kinda like the pre season game against Essendon, Mckenzie just sat on the pine as second sub and never came on

I don't think Roos rates him. He gave him sub spots because he has to show the rest of the club that if you work hard you'll still eventually get selected.

grimes is pretty stiff I reckon

Nah. :P

Very surprised to see Jamar dropped. Not that it's without all merit, but I just did not see it coming. This is huge for Spencer, he can't keep getting chances at AFL level and doing nothing with them. Needs to take this opportunity.

A bit surprised to see Grimes dropped. Neither him nor Jetta in the side means we'll need someone else to play as a small defender...maybe Toumpas will get a new role?

I thought Michie did enough against Richmond to get more than two games.

Not surprised at all that McKenzie was dropped. Sometimes you make bad calls at the selection table; Jordie being picked last week was one of those.

Spencer will keep getting chances. Big blokes do. Jamar had years of rubbish before delivering his breakout season. He's never been able to replicate that season for the record and still gets games.

As for Michie, I agree. He obviously didn't do the team things Roos and co require though.

No two ways about it watts very lucky to be in team. 3 average games and in the last of them only 7 possessions. I thought his intesity was pretty good though, both in the air and tackling. I suspect that's what saved him. Huge week for him. If he doesn't perform could have an extended run at casey

Agreed. His increased physicality saved him. Could still bring a greater intensity though and obviously we need him getting a lot more of the ball as he's such a good user.

I don't really remember too many good Howe high HF games...

As for taking on Freo with contested footy winning players and bringing in runners against Sydney - why would Roos attempt to take on a side by shaping his team in the way of the opponents league leading strength?

Last Sunday we had to turn it into an arm contest and make it a s-fight, and not let them get 294 Uncontested Possessions...obviously we failed.

This Saturday we have to run and get into space and back our counterattack because if we make it an arm wrestle we will be overwhelmed by the bigger, more established bodies in the midfield.

I can definitely see the logic, even if I can't see it 'working'... But that is something that will take time, unfortunately, to rectify...

Spot on. You beat Sydney on the outside. They're very one-paced in the midfield. Of course, whether we have the players on the outside to get the job done is another thing. I suspect that's why Watts was retained and Toumpas and Stretch brought in.

In an ideal world, Petracca would have replaced him as the mobile third/fourth tall.

But given we have gone back to a three bigs setup - Hoges, Dawes and Pedo - then Watts' value drops because the fourth tall role requires someone to occasionally drift in for the mark and goal, but primarily tackle hard and provide a fair degree of inside 50 pressure.

Vandenburg can do that role easily, but I suspect he is one week away from being thrown on the ball almost full time.

Howey can also do that role, but is preferred down back as third-man up intercept support, although H can do that role if Roosy deems it.

But Brayshaw already does Wattsy's fourth-tall role for a large chunk of the game - he may as well assume it full time. At least that way opposition defenders who take a long time to get rid of it, will be in fear of being made to pay for it. Newton has good goal sense as well and could do the role as well.

There are plenty of options, it's all a question of priorities.

By the way I don't hate Wattsy - I actually love what he does offfield, I'm just a realist who saw what Jamie Bennell did to him last year and realised that there's now no spot for him in the current physical game. You can't teach intensity, it has to come from within.

Howe doesn't tackle. Particularly, when playing forward. Lazy, lazy footballer when he goes forward. He won't play that role, but if he does we'll get smashed off half back.

Watts will play from wing to half forward. Of course, we want physicality from every player, but he's more likely to get away with less on a wing. We want his ability to read the play and ball use. He's still a big score assister.

Edited by AdamFarr

I love this phrase, Vandenberg got his chance, took it, and at the moment is in the team, all the ones you mentioned above did the same, we had one last year who came in as a mature recruit and played really well for the first couple of games and was enthused to the hills on here, remind me where he is now?

Hopefullly Vanders can maintain his form and stay in the 22

I understand what you're saying, but the other three mentioned (Terlich, Jones and McKenzie) won't get another contract.

I've read a couple of posters question Howe's value as a "high half-forward".

I advocated Howe going back, but am in favour of him returning forward - at least more often.

He's now got 80 games under his belt, but, more importantly, he has the luxury of playing as a third or fourth tall. When did he have that in year's past ? He's hardly played with Clark, Dawes has missed large junks and Hogan wasn't there.

Unlike Watts, Howe is brave in the air and while shorter than Gunston can fill that type of role with his aerial ability. Gunston has better smarts, but I reckon Howe can return to the forward-line and be a real danger and awkward matchup.

They will carve us up with Howe playing forward. He doesn't chase.

He did play on Ballantyne and his history as a captain should have a bearing on how the club treats him. He was a very important part of the fabric of our club for 2 years. While he shouldn't be gifted games, he should be treated with respect. Have we learned nothing from our experiences with James McDonald and Brad Green?

So are you suggesting that we keep playing him? How would you have us pay him respect? I'm not being a smart arse. I'm simply asking. I certainly don't want to go down the McDonald and Green road, but if he's not good enough, he's not good enough. And I disagree that he played on Ballantyne.

I'm not convinced. I think he may well go around again. Even if he does play a bit of game time in the 2's. He continues to be a great role model for our younger blokes.

Edited by AdamFarr

When did Tyson become such a crap player!

It wouldn't surprise if that bandaged knee is effecting his power in contests.

It's the logical solution as to why he's dropped away after a seemingly good preseason.

Chasing is nothing more than a mindset / directive. It's one of the easiest things in football to correct.

Agreed, except they haven't managed it with Howe for five years now. If we can get something decent for him at year's end, I'd jump at it.

Agreed, except they haven't managed it with Howe for five years now. If we can get something decent for him at year's end, I'd jump at it.

Then why do you want him continuing as a defender ?

I'd rather give him a chance at hitting the scoreboard.

Then why do you want him continuing as a defender ?

I'd rather give him a chance at hitting the scoreboard.

Because at least he is a half decent third up spoiler. In form, he's not a bad intercept marker either. Given we've got him for this season, I think he's best utilised down back. I'd prefer it if his half-arsed chasing efforts didn't have a chance to rub off on our forwards.

Because at least he is a half decent third up spoiler. In form, he's not a bad intercept marker either. Given we've got him for this season, I think he's best utilised down back. I'd prefer it if his half-arsed chasing efforts didn't have a chance to rub off on our forwards.

He's a handy intercept mark (I see what you see), but he's hardly winning us games down there. I don't reckon his impact is overly influential.

He should be able to kick 40 goals as a third or 4th tall. I know which I'd rather.

He's a handy intercept mark (I see what you see), but he's hardly winning us games down there. I don't reckon his impact is overly influential.

He should be able to kick 40 goals as a third or 4th tall. I know which I'd rather.

He'd better get out on the training track and start practicing his set shot kicking again then, because his kicking was hopeless against Freo. Lent back on every one of them.