Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Match Preview and Team Selection - Round 6

Demonland

No. it hasn't. The cull will begin and end at the completion of the season.

By your logic, commencing the cull now would mean the Nev Jetta would no longer be on our list.

I am agree that many are playing this season for their careers but that is no different to any other season. I agree that Roos has in mind some that probably won't be in his plans for next season but he also knows that those very players have the opportunity until the end of season to turn it around and be on the list next year.

Huh? Jetta was forced out due to injury not poor form. I'd suggest Mckenzie and Grimes being dropped after one game back sends a pretty clear message their time is winding up. Staggering that Mckenzie has lasted this long really, it's a credit to his work ethic.

• Like 2

Can one of the Watts haters tell me who's replacing him in the lineup once he's dropped?

What he said ^

Roos is trying to build a team that play their role and put in. Very clearly players that didn't have been removed. Not all of them btw; just those that can be lost to allow for the greatest potential gain.

"The key is Dom" is just laughable. The key is the whole team playing as a team - comprised of individuals learning to play their role and trust their teammates. It is something we are bad at and it is the most basic aspect of modern footy, upon which all things (gameplan especially) rest.

Give yourself a slow hand clap and find a mirror.

Yes, you are right to a certain extent but what you did is what many journos do and take one sentence and try and make something of it.

Obviously they all have their roles to play and that is why I mention so many players and not just exclusively Dom.

But Dom has not been doing his specific team role - which is to be an extractor - in our two major losses and hence his form is the key and in question.

We have removed Jamar this week because Roosy decided he needed to tinker with his clearance setup and Spencil has been dominant at VFL level and Roosy hope he can provide more of a team role at the stoppages with screening and tackling support for Dom and others.

This week the spotlight at centre bounces will go on to others in that area as well - but Dom more so than others because he showed last year he could play the offensive extractor team role and this year (possibly because of his knee issues) he has been unable to impact.

Can one of the Watts haters tell me who's replacing him in the lineup once he's dropped?

Viney when he's fit for one. You know a guy who plays with ferocity and can go through the middle. I would've kept Michie in the side over him as well.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a Watts "hater" I don't think anyone hates him we're just frustrated at the continual mediocrity he puts out regardless of where he was drafted. If he just busy his guts for 120 minutes running hard in both directions to get to contests and create options and I would be happ. As it is he picks and chooses when he wants to give a stuff which can't happen. If it's too hard he slacks off.

• Like 1

I don't really remember too many good Howe high HF games...

As for taking on Freo with contested footy winning players and bringing in runners against Sydney - why would Roos attempt to take on a side by shaping his team in the way of the opponents league leading strength?

Last Sunday we had to turn it into an arm contest and make it a s-fight, and not let them get 294 Uncontested Possessions...obviously we failed.

This Saturday we have to run and get into space and back our counterattack because if we make it an arm wrestle we will be overwhelmed by the bigger, more established bodies in the midfield.

I can definitely see the logic, even if I can't see it 'working'... But that is something that will take time, unfortunately, to rectify...

• Like 3

I don't really remember too many good Howe high HF games...

As for taking on Freo with contested footy winning players and bringing in runners against Sydney - why would Roos attempt to take on a side by shaping his team in the way of the opponents league leading strength?

Last Sunday we had to turn it into an arm contest and make it a s-fight, and not let them get 294 Uncontested Possessions...obviously we failed.

This Saturday we have to run and get into space and back our counterattack because if we make it an arm wrestle we will be overwhelmed by the bigger, more established bodies in the midfield.

I can definitely see the logic, even if I can't see it 'working'... But that is something that will take time, unfortunately, to rectify...

I think alot of the changes are more a reflection of minimum standards than strategy, Roos wants to send a message that if you don't comply to minimum standards you won't play regardless of who you are

Just leave the space vacant and kick the ball to it, the result will still be more positive.

I dont hate jack Watts.

• Like 2

In an ideal world, Petracca would have replaced him as the mobile third/fourth tall.

But given we have gone back to a three bigs setup - Hoges, Dawes and Pedo - then Watts' value drops because the fourth tall role requires someone to occasionally drift in for the mark and goal, but primarily tackle hard and provide a fair degree of inside 50 pressure.

Vandenburg can do that role easily, but I suspect he is one week away from being thrown on the ball almost full time.

Howey can also do that role, but is preferred down back as third-man up intercept support, although H can do that role if Roosy deems it.

But Brayshaw already does Wattsy's fourth-tall role for a large chunk of the game - he may as well assume it full time. At least that way opposition defenders who take a long time to get rid of it, will be in fear of being made to pay for it. Newton has good goal sense as well and could do the role as well.

There are plenty of options, it's all a question of priorities.

By the way I don't hate Wattsy - I actually love what he does offfield, I'm just a realist who saw what Jamie Bennell did to him last year and realised that there's now no spot for him in the current physical game. You can't teach intensity, it has to come from within.

• Like 2

I can't wait to hear the commentators call Stretch's first mark.

That's funny! And, rather appropriate on the eve of Mother's Day, too...! LOL

Its pretty clear they've put him on notice. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a conversation somewhere along the lines of, "Jack, you need to work out for yourself if you want to play AFL footy, if you have a hunger for the contest. If you do, then you need to show us something this weekend otherwise our hand will be forced."

That conversation should have been had a number of seasons ago

I still see a late change happening

Team is way too top heavy for the expected weather conditions

These weather conditions were predicted on Monday night

I still see a late change happening

Team is way too top heavy for the expected weather conditions

You may well be right HH and based on emergencies, that means Bail comes in.

But the tricky thing is deciding which of the four talls up forward makes room.

Obviously if Dawesy is still slightly sore, he would be an easy omission, but he trained well yesterday so I doubt that.

Your namesake definitely won't go and Pedo's game last week and his backup ruck work means he'd be very unlucky to miss.

But our fourth tall forward could go and Roosy could just say it was team balance post-game and he doesn't have to put up with it being a big story.

So deespicable.... I am expressing my view ? And when one tends to disagree with those views then the comments that come back are generally vitriolic not balanced. I suggest your moniker suits you admirably !!

The only view you expressed was that everyone on Demonland was full of themselves and had no idea - I like Roosy too and think he's a super coach, but that doesn't mean he, or others in the club, always make the right choices.

I don't know where you work, but ask yourself does your boss or your company do everything correctly? Are there any grey areas?

If the answer is no, then try another medium - Demonland is not for you.

• Like 1

He was pretty good in this regard against the Tiges though I thought. Clearly not last week.

He was better than pretty good. He was standout from the moment he came on.

Michie's omission is the one that sits the least comfortable. He may have been poor defensively on the weekend, which we know is a weakness he needs to improve upon, but Cross and Tyson only laid 1 tackle apiece. It was a poor effort from a majority and to single out someone purely because he is a fringe player doesn't seem right. I would hope that standards get applied equally across the team, and I think Viv deserved another week to make amends after his performance against Richmond. Hopefully he can force his way back in because I think he has promise.

• Like 2

Huh? Jetta was forced out due to injury not poor form. I'd suggest Mckenzie and Grimes being dropped after one game back sends a pretty clear message their time is winding up. Staggering that Mckenzie has lasted this long really, it's a credit to his work ethic.

Think he was talking about when Nev was re-rookied

• Like 1

Nev Jetta is not on the cull list. His attitude is what we need.

Grimes is done in my eyes Jordie ditto

Michie is on notice Spencer has been given his chance

Watt's who the fcuk knows

I still believe the cull has gone up a notch

you missed my point...

I have no doubt that there will be another significant purge/cull at seasons end.

I have no doubt that Roos has players earmarked that need to show him something or they will be gone but I don't think anyone has their ticket marked at round 5.

The Nev Jetta example is why you don't mark someone as gone in round 5. he got his rookie lifeline based on the last couple of games of the season.

Everyone is on notice all the time - but no one needs to be gone until seasons end - what if Spencer has a turnaround for the balance of season ? And before you poo poo that notion - again - Nev jetta - how many had him gone ?

So in response to your statement - the cull has begun....no it hasnt nor does it need to until seasons end.

Edited by nutbean

In an ideal world, Petracca would have replaced him as the mobile third/fourth tall.

But given we have gone back to a three bigs setup - Hoges, Dawes and Pedo - then Watts' value drops because the fourth tall role requires someone to occasionally drift in for the mark and goal, but primarily tackle hard and provide a fair degree of inside 50 pressure.

Vandenburg can do that role easily, but I suspect he is one week away from being thrown on the ball almost full time.

Howey can also do that role, but is preferred down back as third-man up intercept support, although H can do that role if Roosy deems it.

But Brayshaw already does Wattsy's fourth-tall role for a large chunk of the game - he may as well assume it full time. At least that way opposition defenders who take a long time to get rid of it, will be in fear of being made to pay for it. Newton has good goal sense as well and could do the role as well.

There are plenty of options, it's all a question of priorities.

By the way I don't hate Wattsy - I actually love what he does offfield, I'm just a realist who saw what Jamie Bennell did to him last year and realised that there's now no spot for him in the current physical game. You can't teach intensity, it has to come from within.

All the players you've mentioned are either out for the year or already in the lineup.

He asked who would replace Watts in the lineup. So who would you be bringing in from Casey?

Ill wager a tattslotto ticket that Grimes gets another game before seasons end.

To me it sends a clear message that they are not good enough to be in the team at this point of time.

If that continues until the end of the season then they will be looked at for next year.

Every player knows that they are only good as their last game( some players have more credits in the bank than others). Coaches thankfully don't think in terms of "your time is winding up" ( the exception being when you are rebuilding with youth - veterans sometimes get told that they wont get picked) - they think in terms of not getting a game unless your form warrants it.

Why would you even need to send a message that you won't be here next year. Players know it. McKenzie was not dropped because he wont be at the club next year - he was dropped because his form wasn't good enough.

Posters on here may want players axed now and cards stamped never to play again. Coaches don't think that way (again unless you are serial offender like Sylvia). And coaches don't need to. So again - WYL statement that the cull has begun is just not correct.

He was better than pretty good. He was standout from the moment he came on.

Michie's omission is the one that sits the least comfortable. He may have been poor defensively on the weekend, which we know is a weakness he needs to improve upon, but Cross and Tyson only laid 1 tackle apiece. It was a poor effort from a majority and to single out someone purely because he is a fringe player doesn't seem right. I would hope that standards get applied equally across the team, and I think Viv deserved another week to make amends after his performance against Richmond. Hopefully he can force his way back in because I think he has promise.

I think last week was the performance that demanded a response at the selection table. Personally I'm pleased

The more i think about Aaron VandenBerg the more i think how amazing it is that a bloke can come out of the NEAFL and adjust to the Tempo of AFL with absolutely no issue, he was seriously sharp in round 1,

i think that's a reflection of the quality of training and coaches we have, but also of Aaron as a player, some of our blokes have taken quite a long time to adjust in the past.

• Like 1

The more i think about Aaron VandenBerg the more i think how amazing it is that a bloke can come out of the NEAFL and adjust to the Tempo of AFL with absolutely no issue, he was seriously sharp in round 1,

i think that's a reflection of the quality of training and coaches we have, but also of Aaron as a player, some of our blokes have taken quite a long time to adjust in the past.

I think it is a reflection of Aaron.

It is also a reflection of our list that he could go past so many, so quickly.

• Like 7