The Incredible Hulk - Jesse Hogan

McQueen

10 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

just to be controversial i'll make a bold statement and predict he'll either go or stay

remember you heard it here first

I reckon he'll put his career on hold to see how he goes as a pro skateboarder. 

Fact is no-one knows. Probably not even Hogan himself. People pretend to know, think they know, have opinions but at the end of the day who knows?  It is an industry in which every day second rate media types create news grabbing stories that are pedalled as fact. No-one is held to account so it becomes the story. It is really tiresome and best to be both cynical and detached. Increasingly players jump ship when there is a better deal or other reason such as "going home". Supporters of every club rejoice at picking up a star recruit from another club but become concerned when a player wants to leave their club. Such is the way it is. Swings and roundabouts. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

How

Because he's likely to have a personal relationship with either Worsfold or another former player who is a mutual friend whereas it is unlikely he knows anyone in Hogan's circle of friends/family. He may be going off what someone at Freo/WCE has told him but people at footy clubs talk [censored] (or what they believe to be true that turns out to be rubbish) all the time.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Well its 2016 now not 2014. Things have changed in his life. We don't know whats currently going through his head compared to 2014 when he hadn't played a single game.

Why didn't he ask to be traded at the end of 2015, then? What changed that was so catastrophic that he now wants to be home in Perth so badly? 

Do the math dazzle - it doesn't add up. 

16 minutes ago, hemingway said:

Fact is no-one knows. Probably not even Hogan himself. People pretend to know, think they know, have opinions but at the end of the day who knows?  It is an industry in which every day second rate media types create news grabbing stories that are pedalled as fact. No-one is held to account so it becomes the story. It is really tiresome and best to be both cynical and detached. Increasingly players jump ship when there is a better deal or other reason such as "going home". Supporters of every club rejoice at picking up a star recruit from another club but become concerned when a player wants to leave their club. Such is the way it is. Swings and roundabouts. 

I completely agree. He's contracted til the end of 2017, so whatever happens, happens. 

Don't get me wrong: Hogan is a very good player, but we now have a few more very good players, who haven't even hit their straps yet. If he decides to go, it won't be for any negligence on the part of our off-field organisation. The business management of the MFC is so much more slick and well organised these days, they'll do what they can to keep him, but I don't believe we're a club looking for a Messiah anymore. Instead, we're building a team of gifted, tough and confident young men of whom Hogan is one. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

What doesn't add up, to me, is what has changed in a few months.  He happily signed on at the end of 2014 and, if he really wanted out, he could have gone to the club and demanded a trade.  Nothing happened.  He completed an excellent pre-season and is just starting to get back into form, giving no indication that he wants to be back in Perth at all costs.

Langdon has hit the mark before, but he's also been waaaaay off as well.  He is a Perth native who, of course, would want to see someone like Jesse come home.  I just can't take him all that seriously.

There's nothing in it, IMO. If he goes, it won't be back to Perth. I reckon he could test the water (with a Melbourne-based club) at the end of this year if we don't win between 10-12 games. I reckon we will and he'll end up signing with us on a long term deal.

• Like 3

If Hogan wants to return, you'd assume he'll request a trade at the end of the year.

Why would he waste his time and ours, playing an entire season (2017) when you have no desire of being there.

Having said that I'd rather he see out his contract as Weideman wouldn't be ready to take over the reigns in his second year.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

I wish the mods would rename this thread "Hogan - stay or go" so those of us looking for other info about him (eg injured?)  don't have to wade through all this speculation.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Langdon's got good mail.

He was the one that dropped the Worsfold to Essendon bomb-shell before anyone else.

It's one thing hearing that an ex-teammate will coach a club and another that a player will leave in 2 years.

There is no "mail", it's merely his feeling.  If there was "mail" it would be leaked everywhere.

Edited by ProDee
  • Like 4

He will, if he goes, be playing under a different coach to the one that is currently at Freo at the moment, in my opinion. They had better start moving soon.

I concur with Sue as well. "So much" to read at the moment.

Richmond, I would think, are looking at what is going on at Freo with a reasonable amount of interest at the moment.

I am confident that if we look to be progressing well, he will re-sign at the end of the season.

Maybe because we have been through it before, maybe because I think we are a better club these days, but I am pretty calm about this either way.

But my gut tells me he will most likely stay.

• Like 1

Lets also not forget that only a very short time ago Jesse was in the middle of talks about a long term extension, only a few weeks ago he said " anyone playing forward of this midfield would be silly to want to leave " and i tend to believe him when he says that. 

The big trump card in these situations is often the money, another club has offered that player a crazy amount to convince them, i doubt there is a club in the comp that we couldn't match though so it's all a bit strange. 

He's invested in the club, he's training hard and for now he's honoring his contract, i'm fairly happy so long as he's doing that, if he leaves we'll get amazing compensation of at least 1 A grade player and a really good pick. and if he stays it'll be long term and we won't have to worry about this for an extended period

• Like 2

Gaff, Shuey and Duggan all Vic boys and the present and future of the Eagles midfield. No go home factor for these boys. That old saying make a good environment where no players want to leave. Having the Ox a great of our club taking shots at Hogan on radio in my opinion would not help Jesse feeling a part of the club and would definetly sway his decision in some way.

13 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Karl Langdon will say anything to get his name in lights for even just  a few minutes

If there was any truth to the rumour he's attempting to spread he wouldn't say "it's my belief" he'd say something more like "I've been informed" or "I know."

People have all sorts of weird and wacky beliefs.

That's just my belief. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, ashdemons22 said:

Gaff, Shuey and Duggan all Vic boys and the present and future of the Eagles midfield. No go home factor for these boys. That old saying make a good environment where no players want to leave. Having the Ox a great of our club taking shots at Hogan on radio in my opinion would not help Jesse feeling a part of the club and would definetly sway his decision in some way.

Freo probably  on of the biggest D scenes in W.A.  Just saying.

On 07/04/2016 at 9:36 PM, Redleg said:

Thought I heard Tim Gossage in Perth, on SEN today, say that the Dockers would throw everything at Jesse to get him to come home and that Lachie Neale could be involved in a deal.

He then went on to say, that his info was that Jesse liked it in Melbourne and would not be easy to move back home.

Certainly a bit of chatter that Neale is looking to come to Victoria.  Can see the Dockers putting him forward as part of a trade package.

Less substantiated chatter that Gaff may be looking to head home.

2 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

Certainly a bit of chatter that Neale is looking to come to Victoria.  Can see the Dockers putting him forward as part of a trade package.

Less substantiated chatter that Gaff may be looking to head home.

I thought Neale was from Adelaide and would want to return there if he left WA. Also I thought Gaff just signed a new contract.

• Like 1

Just now, Redleg said:

I thought Neale was from Adelaide and would want to return there if he left WA. Also I thought Gaff just signed a new contract.

Correct on both fronts.  Just goes to show how easy it is for rumours that are backed up by nothing can gain some traction.

Edit - sorry, Gaff is out of contract at the end of the season, but has indicated his willingness to sign a new, multi year deal this year.  He last signed towards the end of 2014.

Edited by Wiseblood

1 minute ago, Wiseblood said:

Correct on both fronts.  Just goes to show how easy it is for rumours that are backed up by nothing can gain some traction.

Unfortunately I have learned one thing in footy, however much I rail against something, or whinge about it, or predict its happening as a warning, if it is going to happen, it does.

• Like 2