Changes for Round 2

Nasher

Regardless of the changes, this is a great discussion to be having - how long has it been since we've found it so hard to find a player worthy of actually being dropped?

Whatever the changes someone will be very stiff and it will continue to put pressure on those within the 22 to play at their very best, otherwise their are some worthy replacements waiting in the wings to take their spot. Love it.

• Like 6

Drop Garland - he was very influential, especially in the first half. Great contribution and would be one of the last dropped surely

Not to mention the blow to his confidence.

I need a Valium.

Garland was great in the 1st half, but once the Suns went small in the 2nd half, Garland was manned up on either Ablett or Jack Martin and got touched up.

So which midfielder are you sending back to replace Garland - who as I said earlier, is coming off his best game for more than a year. He actually attacked and played with confidence!

What you have to realise is that Jetta and Salem will play on the smalls and Howe and Garland are versatile enough to play on smalls or bigs and we also have Harry O to throw back there when we need to and he is quicker than any player they have got.

Tom Mc will get Tomlinson, Dunny will have Cameron and Garland and Howe will swing on McCarthy and whoever is the high forward they choose and then be the third man up to spoil when they can.

Have a look at the Hawks - they have Lake, Frawley, Stratton and that leaves Gibson free to spoil. That's four bigs - it's not a problem if they are versatile.

Agree with the first bits, but more interesting in who we choose for the tall match ups. Shame it's not Day and Gorringe each week!

Tommy Mc did ok on Cameron last away game v GWS. Reckon he might get the nod. Despite him being the biggest size wise the way he leads up the ground it might be Garland or Howe on Tomlinson which would leave Dunn with McCarthy. Will be interesting. McCarthy is a super talent who's just getting started and we all know about Cameron. Tomlinson might have to ruck and isn't the most agile but I think he's handy as well mainly through is top shelf work rate, he's a bit like Dawes as a strong repeat leader. Jetta will have a fun day chasing Dev Smith. Palmer will make it hard for Salem and Howe gets whoever is left.

Garland was great in the 1st half, but once the Suns went small in the 2nd half, Garland was manned up on either Ablett or Jack Martin and got touched up.

Ablett would've touched up anyone once he went in to freak mode. Howe was on Martin for at least some of his better play. Either way with the 3 talls Garland is going nowhere. Plus backlines play best as a unit, the 6 isn't getting disturbed because of one or two contests late in the game and we can't afford to take Lumumba out of the midfield, his running to space from a wing is just critical.

Agree with the first bits, but more interesting in who we choose for the tall match ups. Shame it's not Day and Gorringe each week!

Tommy Mc did ok on Cameron last away game v GWS. Reckon he might get the nod. Despite him being the biggest size wise the way he leads up the ground it might be Garland or Howe on Tomlinson which would leave Dunn with McCarthy. Will be interesting. McCarthy is a super talent who's just getting started and we all know about Cameron. Tomlinson might have to ruck and isn't the most agile but I think he's handy as well mainly through is top shelf work rate, he's a bit like Dawes as a strong repeat leader. Jetta will have a fun day chasing Dev Smith. Palmer will make it hard for Salem and Howe gets whoever is left.

Aside from Cameron and McCarthy, I get the feeling that GWS will go small with their forwardline, with their talented mids resting up forward, rather than Tomlinson who was ordinary against the Saints.

Yep agree with this. I didn't see enough of the St Kilda game to know if Tomlinson was still playing up the ground like last year. Given that he rucked a bit when Mummy went off, you may be right that he plays more from the square this year. Whoever plays more from the square is who Dunny will have and that could even by McCarthy. Dev Smith is our main danger small and therefore it would seem Jetta will get him, but the nice thing is we now have the luxury of sending Harry O back on to him if it's not working.

So I am reading that Garland may be in doubt with ?injury, which would make the choice re Dawes a lot easier.

Vince for the sub, Toump is a fairly obvious one unless there are other injuries we don't know about.

But if Garland is fit then the choice re Dawes is really difficult ?Kent????

if jkh goes out for Dawes, Watts takes jkh's flank, & Dawes plays as one of the 3 talls.

Don't care how well he played, I'd drop Jetta for that atrocious act in the last quarter - simply put, it's just not on. Even the commentators went a bit quiet on it. And it probably cost us a goal...

not the way Roosy works.

Dawes comes in, Frost becomes 3rd tall, Watts in the guts. JKH out if Kent and Garland are fine

this could work grint, or Howe could go in for a go thru the guts, with Watts staying forward on a flank & with Frost playing down back.

Aside from Cameron and McCarthy, I get the feeling that GWS will go small with their forwardline, with their talented mids resting up forward, rather than Tomlinson who was ordinary against the Saints.

So you expect Tomlinson to be dropped? None of their key defenders can ruck and I don't think Cameron will any time soon, nor the 192cm skinny McCarthy. Tomlinson had a few touches, a few marks, 7 hit outs which is solid in relief rucking. I didn't see his game but I doubt he was so bad they'd go in unbalanced with 1 ruck. That's asking for trouble with the possibility Mumford gets injured in round 2 against a bottom side and a huge weapon is lost for the year.

Pretty sure Tomlinson will be the 2nd ruck as well as lead up CHF. Cameron will be the dominant forward target and McCarthy will be the talented, running and flying skinny kid that he is and all 3 will fit in the same forward line.

Might be a case of the Saints bringing them down to their level, but I thought GWS looked rubbish on Sunday. Some absolute clangers all over the place and another laughable bad game from Scully (subbed off of course) who they persist with purely because of his pay packet. Doubt they'll even renew his contract with so many gun midfielders coming into AFL maturity.

Must be infuriating them to have a $1M black hole in their salary cap while trying to convince Shiel and Treloar to stay.

• Like 1

So you expect Tomlinson to be dropped? None of their key defenders can ruck and I don't think Cameron will any time soon, nor the 192cm skinny McCarthy. Tomlinson had a few touches, a few marks, 7 hit outs which is solid in relief rucking. I didn't see his game but I doubt he was so bad they'd go in unbalanced with 1 ruck. That's asking for trouble with the possibility Mumford gets injured in round 2 against a bottom side and a huge weapon is lost for the year.

Pretty sure Tomlinson will be the 2nd ruck as well as lead up CHF. Cameron will be the dominant forward target and McCarthy will be the talented, running and flying skinny kid that he is and all 3 will fit in the same forward line.

I watched the whole Saints/GWS game, and GWS dominated the first 3 quarters, but didn't hurt the Saints on the scoreboard. Unsure what other options they have as a 2nd ruckman, but Tomlinson gave them nothing up forward. Cameron was Cameron, and McCarthy was really impressive.

Like I said with our forward structure, it's all about what gives you the best opportunity to win the game.

We should make minimal changes to what was a winning team. The players should be rewarding and taught if you play your role and win then you keep your spot.

Vince could come in for Toumpas. Dawes can play in the VFL this week, unless Garland is injured in which case he can replace Garland. No other changes, so two at most.

3 of the 4 from Brayshaw, Kent, vandenBerg and JKH.

nutshell

has to be JKH for mine, although there might be a reasoning amongst the coaches that says let this first year player, who played no NAB cup, get the 'breather'

I was thinking Maximus Gawnius might have been an in this week as the big Mummy carved us up last time. That being said does he deserve it? I would say Toump needs to go to the ressies for at least 4-5 weeks before being considered for a recall. It was lucky that the cut off handball was without consequence in the end but it is symbolic of where Jimmy is at as a player.

This might be heresy to some but perhaps Brayshaw might need a rest or to be played as a sub. Not because he didn't play well but more to stock to the Roos mantra of 'slowly slowly'.

I'm also thinking Kent for Dawes might be the ticket. No fault of Dean's but that is one of those 'team balance things and he did get a fair knock last week.

So for mine, it's:

In: Vince, Dawes, Gawn

Out:Toumpas, Kent, Brayshaw

I like it, but i'd be inclined to leave out JKH instead of Kent if possible, fitness pending. & sadly the Toump.

i'm hoping toump will get a reprieve via someones fitness,

Two interstate games in a row followed by Anzac Eve game will already be planned out; so that said;

Best team in this week hence, Vince, Dawes in. Whoever misses out this week will probably get another go when we put the cue in the rack out at Adelaide and then Roosy's best team comes in for Richmond on Anzac Eve

Regardless of the changes, this is a great discussion to be having - how long has it been since we've found it so hard to find a player worthy of actually being dropped?

Whatever the changes someone will be very stiff and it will continue to put pressure on those within the 22 to play at their very best, otherwise their are some worthy replacements waiting in the wings to take their spot. Love it.

totally wise.

finally we have players taking their own responsibilities to the team & whole club seriously.

• Like 1

Two interstate games in a row followed by Anzac Eve game will already be planned out; so that said;

Best team in this week hence, Vince, Dawes in. Whoever misses out this week will probably get another go when we put the cue in the rack out at Adelaide and then Roosy's best team comes in for Richmond on Anzac Eve

I am certain that we will not 'put the cue in the rack' against Adelaide...

• Like 1

The weather may influence selection as well. Hissing down in Sydney and canberra has been very damp. The ground may be heavy and the conditions may not suit too many calls by the weekend.

We should make minimal changes to what was a winning team. The players should be rewarding and taught if you play your role and win then you keep your spot.

Vince could come in for Toumpas. Dawes can play in the VFL this week, unless Garland is injured in which case he can replace Garland. No other changes, so two at most.

playing the infom Crows in Rnd3, we need to get both Dawes & Vince into the team now, so they will be ready & in the team groove for the Crows game.