Training - Friday 27th February, 2015

Demonland

2f72ed01231676e77592cf29b536d496

" data-width="466">

Who's Going?

Had a look this morning. Normal training drills until about 11.00 when they played match practice with about 16 per team.

Injuries: King, Howe, Vince, ANB (not sighted Petracca and Trengove). All others seemed to be there.

Observations:

As the tempo of training increases so do the mistakes - understandable.

Salem playing back, dominated match simulation and looked fantastic until he appeared to hurt his left calf. He didn't look happy and it was strapped straight away. Lets hope for the best.

Tommy Mac was very good, killed Dawes who really struggles with ball handling.

Jordie McKenzie seems to be playing off the back flank. His opponent gets very little of it.

Gawn mainly forward ruck, some good work at times.

Stretch just knows how to get involved, impressed again today.

Tyson, Jones and Viney did very well.

First look at White today and was impressed. Good size, competitive and kicks well.

Brayshaw got another hit to the head and left the field. Salem was leading him a merry dance at that stage.

Hogan was involved and kicked goals.

Garlett will be a gun if he can keep focused. Clean, fast, skilled and can find it.

Oscar Mac played forward and got it a few times.

Dunn wacked Gawn in the guts behind play.

All the players played their part but the flowing skills of a month ago under little pressure were replaced today with some more contested "normal" footy.

JKH found a little of it when McKenzie didn't pick him up. He played in the midfield a bit and was involved.

Watts only played about half the match sim but didn't seem to be in any discomfort when off so I assume it was just a load thing. In one drill he was playing a lead up forward role but in the match sim he was high half forward again.

Toump seems to have made progress to me. Not the huge leap many will hope for but he was involved all day and by todays standards one of the better disposers of the ball.

There is no doubt they are trying to move the ball quicker but are still struggling at times finding a target.

As ever I'm very interested to get others impressions.

I'm just hoping for the best with Salem.

Hopefully just cramp or something but he was terrific and he'll be in my fantasy footy team as first picked. His ball handling, contested work, kicking and ability to find it were just great.

• Like 38

Anyone think Stretch is a smokey for round 1?

In the training pics he looks fairly well developed already , body wise.

the thing i didn't realise about stretch until today is that he has an inside game, i had him pegged for a really good outside runner but he can win his own ball as well. having said that i'd be extremely surprised if he played round 1, i think Brayshaw is in the same boat, the kids have a bit to learn.

Brendan Mcartney is already a massive get, he was hounding Watts today about getting on his bike and getting to more contests, saying that if he lifts his workrate he will go to the next level as a player.

• Like 11

Anyone think Stretch is a smokey for round 1?

In the training pics he looks fairly well developed already , body wise.

With no insight at all I was thinking that Stretch was more a project player and out of ANB, Petracca and Brayshaw would be 4th in line for a senior game this year behind the three mentioned but he seems to be doing more than everything right.

TDI, BB - would you guys think he is in contention for round one ?

Brendan Mcartney is already a massive get, he was hounding Watts today about getting on his bike and getting to more contests, saying that if he lifts his workrate he will go to the next level as a player.

I like this.

My criticism of Watts has always been the same - when he attacks the contest with desire ( and doesn't go to ground) he does well. To me, he doesn't get to enough contests. McCartney is 100% right.

• Like 4

the thing i didn't realise about stretch until today is that he has an inside game, i had him pegged for a really good outside runner but he can win his own ball as well. having said that i'd be extremely surprised if he played round 1, i think Brayshaw is in the same boat, the kids have a bit to learn.

That is good, Jack Watts needs to start putting in a little bit more. He has all the tools to be an elite footballer.

• Like 1

TDI, BB - would you guys think he is in contention for round one ?

I wouldn't think so but what would I know.

I reckon Roos will put mature bodies on the field first and let the kids earn their spots. Unlike others I reckon Grimes, M Jones, Bail and a couple of others are in Roos best 22 at the moment because he wants as many players as possible that can genuinely compete at AFL level. On that basis I can't see Stretch, Brayshaw or other first year players getting a run early. NAB Challenge could change that or I might be quite wrong.

• Like 4

Some more observations

kicking out of the backline in general has improved but some of the decision making was shocking at times, Garland tried to switch at one point, turnover goal, then Dunn handballed in the pocket rather than kicked, caused a stoppage, goal. Nathan Jones gave both a good spray afterwards.

The Toump is clearly quicker than he was last year and actually looks a little dangerous with ball in hand, he is working really hard to get more involved.

Salem looks like he has the potential to be really really good in the back line role, he was playing very well at one point there.

Dean kent was the real standout today for me besides maybe Salem and Jones, he has pace, he is tough and knows how to kick multiple goals, i am very optimistic about what he can offer this year, some of the run he provided today was great.

• Like 16

That's good to hear, but it is stating the bleeding obvious I would have thought.

EDIT: Wrong quote.

Edited by Clint Bizkit
  • Like 1