Earliest surviving VFL footage

Moonshadow

Great footage.

How many of those poor souls - players and spectators - perished in the upcoming war and sickness epidemics?

The average player or fan, let's say 25 y.o. Would now be 130. Even if they lived to 90 would have passed on about 1974.

The young club mascots would be over 110 yrs old.

Life goes on.

1964 wasn't quite that long ago!! Yet

Found this on youtube. Given it's currently the off season, thought it might be worth a look.

1909 Grand Final. Carlton vs Sth Melb. Not Melbourne, but interesting nonetheless. Great shots of the crowd and the action. If you look carefully you might see old dee behind the goals.

One for the Aussie Rules history buffs.

Great stuff!! Wonder how much has been lost forever though?

I couldn't get the audio working.

Great stuff!! Wonder how much has been lost forever though?

I couldn't get the audio working.

the 'talkies' era came a bit later BBO!

• Like 1

How awesome is that footage.....Wet Muddy day...still had no trouble picking out who was playing.

I hate Clash Jumpers...

Jack Eldwards Commentating...Great caller...Worked well into the 70's

isn't it refreshing to see something not so sterilised. Organic mud in your eye hard footy, with a heap of factors to enjoy, getting down & dirty. no mortons among them

isn't it refreshing to see something not so sterilised. Organic mud in your eye hard footy, with a heap of factors to enjoy, getting down & dirty. no mortons among them

Absolutely. If you got soaked in rain or flying Beer at the footy it was not an issue. Get home hot shower and sit by the old Vulcan Gas Heater

Look at the attendance of the cricket last night.

30 years ago 70,000 would have rocked up to that.

These idiot CEO's running the games better wake up real quick.

Edited by why you little
  • Like 1

"NO MORTONS AMONG THEM"

Hawthorn had Ian MORTON and MORTON Browne.

Maybe your spell checker kicked in.

• Like 1

That article is over a decade old and I don't think there's any real issue converting digital media to comply with new technology.

Back on topic I have a copy of the last few minutes of our match against Hawks at Glenferrie in 1964 including Hassa's goal which got us into the finals. When I figure out/have time to upload to YouTube I'll post here. I have a couple other snippets of games from the mid-late 60's as well which seem to have been taken from the National Film and Sound Archive.

Loved it. Thanks Gonzo!

Did notice how I've forgotten what numbers many players wore in the Melbourne era though.

I recall Dixon 9, Adams 6, Big Bob 16, Tassie Bob , Hassa 29, running out already

Loved it. Thanks Gonzo!

Did notice how I've forgotten what numbers many players wore in the Melbourne era though.

I recall Dixon 9, Adams 6, Big Bob 16, Tassie Bob , Hassa 29, running out already

Big Bob wore number 18 for 3 seasons, 1954 - 56 then 16 from 1957 - 61, John Townsend then took over 16 for the next decade.

Tassie Bob wore 8 and Trevor Johnson 14.

Any others ?

• Like 1

Big Bob wore number 18 for 3 seasons, 1954 - 56 then 16 from 1957 - 61, John Townsend then took over 16 for the next decade.

Tassie Bob wore 8 and Trevor Johnson 14.

Any others ?

Thanks gs12! How did you do that? Do you really remember them all? ..or is there a list of players & their numbers somewhere online?

Thanks gs12! How did you do that? Do you really remember them all? ..or is there a list of players & their numbers somewhere online?

No Rob, my memory is not that good.

I have a hard copy list of all MFC numbers from when they were first worn in 1912 through to 2005 when I started entering data to the old Demonology site which sadly was a waste of time in the end.

The more recent numbers are readily available from the footy record.

Failing that the numbers can be read in a publication by Russell Holmesby & Jim Main - The Encyclopedia of AFL Footballers.

• Like 2

Couldn't help but notice Barassi's trademark impact on the game in these last minutes. First, he almost spoils the Hawthorn kick and nearly injures himself when standing on the mark. Later he takes a courageous mark under pressure (which the commentator describes as an easy mark!), then astounds the commentator by... handballing. This was a good tactic because of the conditions as Melbourne were able to maintain possession and work the ball around the wing. A big loss, losing Barassi. Gonzo, do you have any more from this period?

• Like 1

Absolutely. If you got soaked in rain or flying Beer at the footy it was not an issue. Get home hot shower and sit by the old Vulcan Gas Heater

Look at the attendance of the cricket last night.

30 years ago 70,000 would have rocked up to that.

These idiot CEO's running the games better wake up real quick.

we've all; our society has become a bit spoilt at the beckoning of businesses trying to get us to spend our wages on they're wares. we have saturated the sports calenders, tucked & tinkered, nipped & pinned, trimmed & tailored all the games to withing a millimeter of their lives.

expensive beers & plastic cups,,, only thing hot about the chips is the price... can't get into your favoured seat position even tho its empty is because its reserved for other visiting teams. empty seats everywhere.

people have lost the hand me down experience of traditions & folklore that keep the romance alive.

they are killing the games... like the AFL over the VFL currently, the cricket at test level, or one day'rs, or is it 20/20 or a big bash?????

Bright new talented cricketers leaving for other countries to become test players for the opposition countries??? the traditional sports are getting undermined & cannibalised.

they've killed the raw primitive emotional experience for the manicured sleek & boring mundane sit where your allotted experience. I can't be bothered anymore.

and the first day of the Melbourne test match... to expensive & too much trouble to have fun. too sterile............................................................

ban the trumpet, ban the drums, ban the paper floggers, ban the kick after the game, ban the people from the rooms pre game & after games, get rid of the curtain raiser, lets just stop the people in their tracks for their own good or they may break a fingernail Or make some noise, & god forbid the Mexican Wave, goodness gracious, if these things were to take off, people may start to unwind & start smiling & joking, we cannot have that sorta behavior happening, the people will think they're free to do as they wish...

Edited by dee-luded

Bernie Massie - 37

Frank Davis - 6 Barry Bourke was 14

Bryan Kenneally - 22

Barry Vagg - 32

Tony Anderson - 11

Don Wiliams - 35

Ken Emselle - 10

Frank Davis wore number 40 in 1964 and took over number 6 when Bluey Adams retired prior to 1965.

• 3 months later...

Deeluded.

That was the best post you have ever written.

You stayed on topic and laid off the commas and the result was something with which I agree wholeheartedly .

May I add further that this game and cricket are built by amateurs who love the sport and the spectacle .

The theft of these games by privateers is sickening and have left most of us despondent and cynical about the state of modern sports.

The older gents on this site must have witnessed this change as well,especially given the importance of TV and ads.

They have killed cricket and it is meaningless now except for test series which I still like.

The afl is losing crowds and will keep doing so.