Potential Trades [Warning: Reading this thread may self-destruct]

Dr evil

Memo to self - do not read trade threads in 2015, full of speculation, fantasy and bull.

Oh come on! What else is there to pass the day?

And all this for a trade period that netted us Garlett, Lumumba and Frost.

I think we were spoilt last year.

I long for the old days.

2010: Out: Cheney In: Nobody

2009: Out: McLean In: Nobody

2008: Out: Nobody In: Nobody

2007: Out: Johnstone In: Meesen

2006: Out: Nobody In: Nobody

2005 Out: Nobody In: Pickett

So Pickett and Meesen in 6 whole trade periods. How did we survive?

I just find it weird that the head coach is not here to oversee things personally. Just my gut feel. I will get over myself but I may not get over another mediocre year which seems on the cards.

Have you seen one Coach lately, they are all on holidays. Bucks in Bali etc etc.

The footy managers and list managers and recruiters take over and confer with the Coach if they need to.

• Like 2

This thread will be Demonland folklore, even if not for the right reasons. The riddles, the big trade promises, it had it all.

And all this for a trade period that netted us Garlett, Lumumba and Frost.

And the Dockers, Eagles , Swans, Tigers got no one and others like Crows got rubbish in the last 5 minutes.

I just ran into a Melbourne person who is employed at the club, know him very well, there is nothing happening behind the scenes. Players we targeted have not wanted to move, and at this stage a sit stands, we are taking 2 & 3 to the draft. He did say, there are still 5 days to go, but its all very quiet at the moment.

Just passing on.

Chri$ Judd's grandmother's neighbour's step nephew's barber said much the same, or so it is said.

I think we were spoilt last year.

I long for the old days.

2010: Out: Cheney In: Nobody

2009: Out: McLean In: Nobody

2008: Out: Nobody In: Nobody

2007: Out: Johnstone In: Meesen

2006: Out: Nobody In: Nobody

2005 Out: Nobody In: Pickett

So Pickett and Meesen in 6 whole trade periods. How did we survive?

And the Dockers, Eagles , Swans, Tigers got no one and others like Crows got rubbish in the last 5 minutes.

This is true, and did dawn on me. But, perhaps Chris Judd's Grandma-gate aside, I can't remember a year with so many big outlandish calls going around.

Are you meaning can we get a young talent to not nominate for the National Draft so as to take him in the PSD? Jurrah was a special circumstance because for whatever reason his nomination paperwork wasn't submitted and the AFL allowed him into the PSD pool. As far as I'm aware, unless there has been a rule change, the PSD draft pool will comprise players that remain uncontracted to that stage and players that went undrafted in the National Draft. In other words, unless there is a desirable uncontracted player, PSD pick 2 essentially equates to pick 80.

So our best result is for a good player to refuse to sign a new contract and put himself in the PSD.

• Like 1

Lowden is rubbish? He kicked 3 goals on debut.

I hope we tried to make a play for him.

I thought that said "Lowden is rubbish!". Amazing what a bit of punctuation can do?

The fact we only have one player who could get in the Hawks team isn't an attitude, its just stating a fact.

Your post above is head in the sand stuff. I hope we "smash the living [censored] out of them when we next meet" too but it's pure fantasy land.

Even Roosy can't polish a turd.

No guarantee Frawley will even get a game at the Hawks.

No guarantee Frawley will even get a game at the Hawks.

I hope he does and drops the ball in last line of defence on Grand Final day and they lose!!!!!!!

So our best result is for a good player to refuse to sign a new contract and put himself in the PSD.

Correct... so the optimist in me (it's there somewhere... deep...) says that MAYBE we have a player in our sights and are working on a deal behind the scenes.

We did seem pretty desperate to avoid the PSD with Frost.

Then you put a fat contract under the nose of players you want, have them nominate you, and give their club appropriate currency (which we had in spades this year).

Just as GWS got Griffen, Brisbane got Beams, Bulldogs got Boyd, etc. These clubs didn't approach one another and ask what was on offer for picks 2 and 3, they pursued the players directly. If we believe Mahoney, he said "nobody offered anything for picks 2 or 3." That's fine, but if we're so lackadaisical as to give up at that point rather than find other means to convince players to come, we're not going to get the players we need: developed midfielders.

How would you know what we did and didn't do. These posts are so stupid. You think they sat there waiting for the phone to ring?

You think DomTyson rang us last year?

You think Bernie Vince rang us last year?

Do you think they woke up with a queue of players from other clubs outside melbourne's door wanting to come to the club? Its sooooooo easy to get players to come to melbourne. We are a beacon to other clubs. fair dinkum give up mate.

My initial anger at not bringing in any midfielders has tempered. I know we've butchered every single high draft pick since, like, forever... so I'm warming to the idea that FINALLY we have one of the smartest men in the AFL, Paul Roos, getting a free hit at the second and third best young players in the country, with George Stone waiting to develop them. Hard not to be excited about that.

This I agree with 100% - as I said before I have supreme confidence in this coaching team - the simple reason being that I am not sure there is a better coaching outfit anywhere else so if this doesnt work we are completely rooted.

• Like 1

Lowden is rubbish? He kicked 3 goals on debut.

I hope we tried to make a play for him.

Sorry,the bloke that over 6 years played only one game, even when all rucks were out and Roughy was in the ruck alone, playing his only game in Tassie and dropped the next week, who got no interest in trade period from any club until the Crows in the last minutes, being bundled with another reject in Cheney,is of course not rubbish.

Is this thread still here just so I and others can bump up our posts?

If Nathan Jones is happy im happy!

Nathan Jones @nathan2jones 18h18 hours ago

Get around the new demons @lefrost48, Heritier Lumumba, Jeff Garlett & @billyjstretch! I'm excited by these great additions, big preseason

He's hardly going to tweet 'Really ambivalent about these pick ups but meh what can you do. @JMahoney what a clown!'.

Is he now.

• Like 2

He's hardly going to tweet 'Really ambivalent about these pick ups but meh what can you do. @JMahoney what a clown!'.

Is he now.

Or he wouldn't have just posted at all if that's how he felt.

He is obviously pretty excited about the changes so don't see what the hassle is.

We'll the trade period is over and we now have 2&3 for the draft. This is a huge win for the club as we get two of the top three best young players in this great country. Why are we sad the truth is we're building around winning a flag. The guys like hogan,viney,Tyson,Salem,JKH,watts are the future to build around. Now put brayshaw & macartin in that group and we're really building a list to challenge in 3 to 4 years. This is when you go get a player like danger in another year or two. Yes we will be a bottom club for another year but this is the best chance of being a real threat on a flag. We now have the right guys in place to make this work. We all no it's been a long road but you can't take short cuts to be the best. Go dees

Oh Christ, come on. We've been reading posts like that for 7 YEARS!

• Like 1