WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - OSCAR MCDONALD

Dee-licious

In case people have forgotten, this is the write-up from Cardona's phantom draft:

Pick 25: North Melbourne – Oscar McDonald

Position: Key defender/forward

Height: 196 cm, Weight: 88 kg, DOB: 18/03/1996

Club: North Ballarat

Plays like: Jackson Trengove

Oscar McDonald is one of the better key defenders I am really bullish about in terms of advancing to the next level. He is tall and athletic, and also picks off numerous forward 50 entries with his tremendous ability to take intercept marks and rebound strongly. Best described as a general in defence, McDonald, the younger brother of Melbourne’s Tom, is extremely versatile as a defender, and, unlike most key defenders, he loves to back himself and use the ball by foot. He hits the ball flat and hard, and has a really nice turn of foot, being deceptively quick over his first few steps. The Rebels have also used him as a key forward, where he’s shown he can be equally as damaging. He has a fantastic leap, strong hands, really good work rate and rarely ever goes to ground. I’m a big fan of the way he loves to play in front of his man, often a few metres ahead. Simply, he’s a super smart footballer, and led the TAC Cup competition for contested marks this year. Taking home the coaches award in the TAC Cup, McDonald took big scalps throughout the year, including Darcy Moore, Peter Wright and Paddy McCartin.

Hellishly good pickup at 53.

This excites me the most. Turn him into a forward I say, could go well in tandem with Hogan once he has developed his frame or be a good third tall option in the meantime...

Edited by Ascobar
  • Like 2

How the F does a bloke slip 20-30 spots and land at the same pick and same club as his brother, has to be fate

It is amazing that they can both get taken with same pick, however if you look at the rating earlier in the thread, he was rated 20-70. When you have 1500 boys registered for the draft, once you get past the first 20 then it really is lottery as to who falls where and it becomes very needs based.

Oscar looks to have more natural size and a higher skill level than Tom. His ball drop looks more natural. I think he might develop into a mobile forward/second ruck.

Was wondering if O Mac could eventually be used as a second ruck/swingman option.

Does anyone know if he has done any ruckwork?

Seems that he could develop the tank.

http://www.mailtimes.com.au/story/2608227/oscar-mcdonald-impresses-at-afl-draft-combine/

Edited by jabberwocky
  • Like 1

I think we're very lucky that Durdin was still available at North's first selection.

I think we are lucky the bulldogs seem to have an aversion to drafting KPP players. They just kept on passing him. They had a real Barry Prendergast style flankers draft, not that I don't rate the kids they picked, some of them look beauties, but we went for meat and potato mids and key defender.

• Like 4

I think we are lucky the bulldogs seem to have an aversion to drafting KPP players. They just kept on passing him. They had a real Barry Prendergast style flankers draft, not that I don't rate the kids they picked, some of them look beauties, but we went for meat and potato mids and key defender.

It frustrates me how much they don't like drafting KPP's.

if it was possible to *hug* his kicking... clearly t-mac didn’t teach him that :)

Watching his highlights this is the thing that impressed me the most, as well as being strong overhead. Accepting that they are "highlights" and packaged as such, he did not miss a target. TMac take some lessons from your little bro please.

a great prospect is Oscar

Really happy we got him, he will develop at Casey for a while and i hope he becomes a forward as others have said

Might sneak an MFC game or 2 this season but thats not important yet

you are scaring me H_H with your reasoned and logical analysis

• Like 1

McDonalds at FB and FF you reckon?

They could be known as The Bookend Brothers.

Edited by DeeZee
  • Like 1

Was wondering if O Mac could eventually be used as a second ruck/swingman option.

Does anyone know if he has done any ruckwork?

Seems that he could develop the tank.

http://www.mailtimes.com.au/story/2608227/oscar-mcdonald-impresses-at-afl-draft-combine/

If he can hold his own in the ruck & does develop a tank, he would be extremely hard to match up on around the ground for an opposition ruck.

I really like this pick up. He looks raw, but has some talent and a great build to work off.

It's great to see brothers play together.

Fortunately for Oscar he was picked up at 53, so he will have time to develop out of the spotlight.

Didn't realize that he has already had a taste of VFL senior action.

http://www.mailtimes.com.au/story/2430365/oscar-mcdonald-makes-vfl-debut-for-north-ballarat-roosters/

Explains why North were expected to pick him up at 25.

I think we were lucky Durdin slid to North with their first pick.

Things just fallen our way yesterday.

McDonald looks a better prospect than his brother at the same age.

Oscar looks a better kick, mark and judging solely off his highlights - he has confidence as a forward.

Obviously he has to put it all together, but to get a bloke at 53 - when he was expected to go at 25 - is an excellent result for the club.

Edited by ThreeOneSix

His kicking looks really good

I noticed your footer HH, sorry but that would have to be the worst nickname for Petracca I have ever seen.

If you're after an alternative, IMO maybe "Raccaaaa" would be just a little easier on the tongue.

Edited by Wormburner