Dire Straits

Redleg

I want to go back to the "Will you care if we finish last vote".

1 - clearly all those who didn't were not there today - not good enough (but lucky).

2 - it was Member appreciation day - maybe 17,000 odd members - no appreciation after the game started - but still so many of the 22 just not good enough.

3 - I saw the all time VFL/AFL record loss at Waverley in 1979 v Fitzroy - 190 points - but was young enough to get distracted by other things afterwards - not so now - absolutely gutted.

4 - how many members won't renew in 2015 after today (I already have) - how many young Demons will give up on the the Club for ever after today - the damage done massive.

• Like 1

I want to go back to the "Will you care if we finish last vote".

1 - clearly all those who didn't were not there today - not good enough (but lucky).

2 - it was Member appreciation day - maybe 17,000 odd members - no appreciation after the game started - but still so many of the 22 just not good enough.

3 - I saw the all time VFL/AFL record loss at Waverley in 1979 v Fitzroy - 190 points - but was young enough to get distracted by other things afterwards - not so now - absolutely gutted.

4 - how many members won't renew in 2015 after today (I already have) - how many young Demons will give up on the the Club for ever after today - the damage done massive.

After yesterday's performance it wouldn't surprise me if the players are regulars on this forum, and they made up the majority of the 30 or so that voted in the don't care

• Like 1

There is no more fanatical Dees supporter than my son aged 31. He has been so since he could walk. He has gone to every Geelong game in Geelong for years, even when torrential rain has drenched him, coming home soaked, but not giving up after another thrashing and even some Interstate games when possible. He has lived and breathed the club his whole life. Yesterday in the 2nd quarter at the G he started reading the paper and not watching the game. This continued in the second half. He just said he couldn't watch or take this rubbish anymore, that it wasn't sport and clearly was just too much to take. He is a sports lover and loves the contest of sport. Yesterday was not sport. You just can't watch that inept crap.

If we are doing that to a fanatic, what are we doing to the others less fanatical. Unless there is some dramatic improvement I fear we will lose support. We have had 8 years to do something by ourselves. We have failed. We need help, simple as that. If people can't see that, there is nothing I can do to convince them.

I have faith in the Coach and I would love to see us do the noble thing and get it right by ourselves, but we obviously are so far back we can't. It is not one player needed by a PP, it is about half a team and you can't do that without some help.

• Like 4

Robbo also thinks Mark Thompson and Hird should co coach Essendon next year. I don't take him seriously.

The club would not apply if they thought it a priority pick was not going to be on offer.

Haha true about Yobbo but we did apply unsuccessfully last year remember.

I think we should ask for a PP, but on the condition we trade it for an established player. Brings in experience and class, which is what we need. Look at Judd/Ablett at their clubs. Sets examples, we did well last year with out three imports. Imagine offering pick 1 or 2 to a big club. Its about bargaining.

Robbo on 360 just said he spoke to Evans early this year and let slip that we wouldn't get a PP probably because they now regard it as dead.

Oh is that the same Robbo who thinks that having Merde and Thompson co-coaching the Drug Cheats is a great and honour able idea?? And that breaching confidences is immoral - oh, didn't he just do the same?

• Like 1

Oh is that the same Robbo who thinks that having Merde and Thompson co-coaching the Drug Cheats is a great and honour able idea?? And that breaching confidences is immoral - oh, didn't he just do the same?

Yes.

• Like 2

Robbo on 360 just said he spoke to Evans early this year and let slip that we wouldn't get a PP probably because they now regard it as dead.

Last I heard Evans wasn't on the commission so it's not his position to comment on whether the pick is dead, yes he makes the recommendation but doesn't make the policy.

Last year his now boss Gil wasn't unfavourable about us getting a pick so I don't think it is dead just yet. Even Carro surprisingly didn't say no to the idea and seemed ok with it. Of course DH Lloyd had a differing opinion, but who cares about him?

By the way I think Evans has been a disaster in his job, seems to blow with the prevailing wind. Some might call it listening to the fans, I call it lack of conviction and ideas.

• Like 2

Up until the last couple of weeks, I thought the back office part was going OK and that the on field would eventually follow. But now all I'm hearing is mixed messages. First, Roos says the problem is the mental scars of tanking. Now we ask for a Priority Pick. Doesn't the "ask" for the Priority Pick in itself once again feed those same mental scars?

For what it's worth, if we weren't given a priority pick last year I can't see how we'd be given one this year. (And the AFL should scrap the idea anyway).