How upset will you be if we finish bottom

Pates

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

People are eyeing off the no.1 pick too, BB ... and the bargaining power it would almost certainly give the club.

Let's get that bit right out in the open.

I don't believe for one minute that over 46% of voters have a "no care" attitude towards finishing last (if you voted 1-3, you effectively don't care)

• Like 3

People are eyeing off the no.1 pick too, BB ... and the bargaining power it would almost certainly give the club.

I don't believe for one minute that over 46% of voters have a "no care" attitude towards finishing last (if you voted 1-3, you effectively don't care)

I really, really hope that isn't the case, but you're probably right.

so being a devils advocate ....might not some WANT us to finish last....even though they want us to be competitive ? maybe maybe not.

Again I go to the original ask...would i be upset. ? No I wouldnt.

Do I really care if we finish last ? No i dont. I just dont see that it matters much in the long run

Do i want us competitive ? For sure. And we have been on many occasions for parts of games.

Do I need another win to validate my support for the club ? Hell if that was the litmus id have been out of here decades ago.

The real question , for mine. Is do i want the club to be as clever as it can over the run home, extracting the last morsel of relative information about players before the list is locked away ? Yes..thats all really I want the club in a position to make the right calls come EOS and trade draft like it ( the club ) hasnt seen since...year dot.

So why would I care if we finished last ? and why as some might think does that reason to my not wanting the club to be successful ( longer term ) ?

• Like 1

I'd be livid. To finish last again, even after all the improvement, and having the best coach in the land, would be disastrous. To put in all that work and improve and still finish last would scar the players further IMO. They need to get tangible results for their effort or it is fruitless. It's the same in any industry; if you bust your ass and don't get rewarded for it, then it effects you. You either don't think you're good enough, or you mentally check out and do the bare minimum until you can move on elsewhere.

If we finish last I'll probably burn down someones house in a fit of rage.

• Like 2

Honestly, I'd be quietly gutted. It already plays on my mind that recently some 'totally wrecked' clubs (St Kilda and Brisbane) have had not just wins but wins by big margins.

It's more than just an issue of finishing last. If those teams below us start to look like they are turning a corner and lifting again, that just leaves just us, again, as the only dud team.

Hard to get excited about the idea that Melbourne spent 2014 learning how to tread water.

why is anyone really so surprised and/or upset about where we are.. The cattle folks the cattle.

• Like 1

Couldn't care less if we finish last rather than say 16th-17th. What's the point? The perception is still that we're a terrible team but we get first crack at the draft, and we saw last year how much value we can squeeze out of it with trades etc. We have improved, clearly, and we can see where we are heading, but what's the thing we lack the most? Talent.

• Like 1

*The Demon Ritual*

Celebrated each year at approximately the spring equinox.

Stand in a circle and intone the following lines;

That Petracca guy and the big Wright fella would be a pretty awesome way to boost the list and really address some of our long-term deficiencies.

And there's a host of medium and tall defenders capable of effectively playing the rebounding defender role we desperately need, conveniently spread from the middle of the first round into the second round.

And the Stretch kid looks to be going alright. What a bargain he'll be!

*The Demon Ritual*

Celebrated each year at approximately the spring equinox.

Stand in a circle and intone the following lines;

That Petracca guy and the big Wright fella would be a pretty awesome way to boost the list and really address some of our long-term deficiencies.

And there's a host of medium and tall defenders capable of effectively playing the rebounding defender role we desperately need, conveniently spread from the middle of the first round into the second round.

And the Stretch kid looks to be going alright. What a bargain he'll be!

Now that it's perfectly set out for us and these boys have shown good form for a while lets pick someone totally different.

• Like 1

And it is beyond belief that "I don't care" has got the most votes.

I must say when I started this poll I didn't expect "I don't care" to be the top of the poll.

Couldn't care less if we finish last rather than say 16th-17th. What's the point? The perception is still that we're a terrible team but we get first crack at the draft, and we saw last year how much value we can squeeze out of it with trades etc. We have improved, clearly, and we can see where we are heading, but what's the thing we lack the most? Talent.

why do so few understand

I wonder how many here have heard of , or understand a J curve ?

Sometimes you have to dig a hole to establish a solid footing/foundation

why do so few understand

I have a theory that because we follow our own club so closely we are so familiar with names like Grimes, Garland, Howe, McKenzie etc etc that our perception is that they are much better than what they truly are in the pool of AFL talent. We're so shocked when our best player is so low in the AFL player rankings because we think he's amazing, when maybe he's good but not as good as what we convince ourselves out of familiarity.

Roos has done what he can with the list he has. I'm not advocating tanking, we've seen the damage that did, but I'm not going to celebrate finishing second or third last and not having as much bargaining power come trade time.

• Like 2

I have a theory that because we follow our own club so closely we are so familiar with names like Grimes, Garland, Howe, McKenzie etc etc that our perception is that they are much better than what they truly are in the pool of AFL talent. We're so shocked when our best player is so low in the AFL player rankings because we think he's amazing, when maybe he's good but not as good as what we convince ourselves out of familiarity.

Roos has done what he can with the list he has. I'm not advocating tanking, we've seen the damage that did, but I'm not going to celebrate finishing second or third last and not having as much bargaining power come trade time.

Yep... Well put

We're so shocked when our best player is so low in the AFL player rankings

what that be the rating system that has Jones outside the top 100 and Tyson at about 370? That's obviously a ridiculous system, whatever it is.

I prefer Average 2014 AFL Fantasy Score Per Game rankings:

29 jones

56 vince

81 cross

86 tyson

what that be the rating system that has Jones outside the top 100 and Tyson at about 370? That's obviously a ridiculous system, whatever it is.

I prefer Average 2014 AFL Fantasy Score Per Game rankings:

29 jones

56 vince

81 cross

86 tyson

now for interest sake put up the figures for say Swans Freo Geelong and Hawks ...just asking ...cheers

Finishing 2nd last is just as bad as finishing last IMO,both teams may have won 5 games but 2nd last has a marginally better %

If the players go into the next 6 months of Preseason thinking "unreal,we finished 2nd last and avoided the spoon" they shouldn't be playing professional sport if they think that's some sort of achievement.

Our recruiters will probably stuff up this draft as well but we may as well have picks 1 & 2,we all know Chip's gone and if reports are correct that Jeremy Cameron is out of there,we are in the best bargaining position.

After watching my 2nd team the Suns pathetic performance last night,i reckon the Saints will knock them off too Saturday night,which would lift them above us.

I have a lot more faith in the FD and recruiting of the MFC now than for a long long time. In them I trust :)

I have a lot more faith in the FD and recruiting of the MFC now than for a long long time. In them I trust :)

getting picks 1 and 2 now will certainly be a lot better than when we got them in 2009. This time wed have genuine reason to believe we will get 2 young superstars as we have guys like Roos and Stone etc who actually know about player development

Still praying we avoid the spoon though

beelzebub and stuie - as I have posted before - my grandson is on the brink of abandoning the Dees "because we never win" - how many very young future life time supporters/members has the Club lost already - how many more are gone with each loss - it is not as though MFC is flush with young supporters - kids like winners. Young kids are the future supporter base/members of the club.

Simple.

And please tell me what Checker Hughes and Norm Smith (responsible for 10 of the 12 flags) would think.

No-one knows for sure if the future will be any better - we looked forward to what Jurrah would achieve - GONE - we looked forward to having the passionate Mitch Clark starring - sadly finished by injury etc.etc. (Templeton had a bung knee, good as he was, Schwarz would have been an absolute superstar but he did his knees etc. etc.). Trengove this year with his foot - don't take anything for granted in the future - So worry about the NOW.

beelzebub and stuie - as I have posted before - my grandson is on the brink of abandoning the Dees "because we never win" - how many very young future life time supporters/members has the Club lost already - how many more are gone with each loss - it is not as though MFC is flush with young supporters - kids like winners. Young kids are the future supporter base/members of the club.

Simple.

And please tell me what Checker Hughes and Norm Smith (responsible for 10 of the 12 flags) would think.

No-one knows for sure if the future will be any better - we looked forward to what Jurrah would achieve - GONE - we looked forward to having the passionate Mitch Clark starring - sadly finished by injury etc.etc. (Templeton had a bung knee, good as he was, Schwarz would have been an absolute superstar but he did his knees etc. etc.). Trengove this year with his foot - don't take anything for granted in the future - So worry about the NOW.

Whatever Hughes or Smith would have thought its to be addressed to the players.

The players aren't voting - we are. Have the intestinal fortitude to honestly ask yourself - what would Checker or Smithy have thought.

(Checker dumped the Fuschias and christened MFC the Demons - have a look at Smithy's statue - these guys did more for the Club than anyone else has done)

Does anyone seriously think Checker and Smithy wouldn't care about finishing last AGAIN.

id be disappointed if we finished bottom. As im sure Roosy would and the players that have come in this year like vince and cross. This is why we need to beat brsibane next week. I dont want to play the giants in a few weeks and we have to win to stay off the bottom. That was a few years ago. Id like to think we are a better team.

The players aren't voting - we are. Have the intestinal fortitude to honestly ask yourself - what would Checker or Smithy have thought.

(Checker dumped the Fuschias and christened MFC the Demons - have a look at Smithy's statue - these guys did more for the Club than anyone else has done)

Does anyone seriously think Checker and Smithy wouldn't care about finishing last AGAIN.

Youre really confusing emotions to reality. What Hughes and Smith may have thought may not actually be that removed from what Roos or any of the FD think..its a totally [censored] result for the year..as such. What does it matter in essence whether you finish anywhere from 12th to last...you are an also ran . You didnt get need the finals you are fodder. People need to stop kidding themselves or sugar coating much of what happens.

I dont actually sit down and find myself reestablishing a reason to follow Melbourne I just do. Maybe one day I wont be bothered ..cant tell you but it wont be because we finished last. Again that would have flagged my exit many years ago.

Youre on your bandwagon about Hughes and Smith.. look at who they had playing for them... just about any of us could have coached some of those teams to wins.

The players are the ones playing...not you or I. they are the ones who need to feel inadequate .I dont take away any such colouring because we next to bloody useless.

now for interest sake put up the figures for say Swans Freo Geelong and Hawks ...just asking ...cheers

Viney is our 5th highest, he would be around #150 - our average for our top 5 is #81

Sydney (AVE 32)

5 Kennedy

30 McGlynn

36 Parker

40 K.Jack

49 Hannebury

Hawthorn (AVE 50)

20 Lewis

44 Smith

47 Hodge

64 Shiels

74 Mitchell