Tommy Mac, the elusive footballer.

pitchfork

Despite contract concerns of his own, Tom McDonald has been somewhat of an elixir to Chip Frawley related anxiety.

He's 21, a super-super-athlete, and is probably one of the best match ups in the league for Buddy, N Reiwoldt, or any good mobile forward.

Despite this, I'm getting increasingly concerned that his flaws make him a week to week matchup-based selection in a decent side.

He isn't much of a "footballer".

I honestly couldn't care less that his kicking is not fantastic, over time that can be improved or hidden.

It's his defensive technique and defensive decision making that is a serious concern.

He is constantly found in the wrong position in marking contests that aren't vertical leads. He fails to make the right decision between watching man or ball. And he has very little ability to play as a third man.

Usually being super-elite at something is enough to cover other deficiencies. Not sure if that's the case here. As we play more meaningful games coaches will just shift tommy's man to areas where they can exploit this, dumbfounded that Longmire didn't just isolate Buddy in the square when he was having a shocker against us.

Maybe there's an opportunity further up the ground in the future?

For mine...when Hogan is right, Chippa moves back and Tom becomes a week-to-week proposition. [assuming back line of Frawley, Garland, Dunn, Jetta, Grimes, Howe]

Despite contract concerns of his own, Tom McDonald has been somewhat of an elixir to Chip Frawley related anxiety.

He's 21, a super-super-athlete, and is probably one of the best match ups in the league for Buddy, N Reiwoldt, or any good mobile forward.

Despite this, I'm getting increasingly concerned that his flaws make him a week to week matchup-based selection in a decent side.

He isn't much of a "footballer".

I honestly couldn't care less that his kicking is not fantastic, over time that can be improved or hidden.

It's his defensive technique and defensive decision making that is a serious concern.

He is constantly found in the wrong position in marking contests that aren't vertical leads. He fails to make the right decision between watching man or ball. And he has very little ability to play as a third man.

Usually being super-elite at something is enough to cover other deficiencies. Not sure if that's the case here. As we play more meaningful games coaches will just shift tommy's man to areas where they can exploit this, dumbfounded that Longmire didn't just isolate Buddy in the square when he was having a shocker against us.

Maybe there's an opportunity further up the ground in the future?

For mine...when Hogan is right, Chippa moves back and Tom becomes a week-to-week proposition. [assuming back line of Frawley, Garland, Dunn, Jetta, Grimes, Howe]

Tommy Mc is another one of the young and developing footballers we have on our list at the moment, who puts in the occasional shocker.

But after having a few chats with Jade Rawlings, you may be surprised to know he doesn't agree with your assessment of Tommy

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 1

Tommy Mc is another one of the young and developing footballers we have on our list at the moment, who puts in the occasional shocker.

But after having a few chats with Jade Rawlings, you may be surprised to know he doesn't agree with your assessment of Tommy

How often do you think a coach will agree with the assessment of a player a Demonland member gives?

Apart from 'hogans_heroes'... I'm sure Roosy would love to discuss strategy with him over a nice glass of scotch.

How often do you think a coach will agree with the assessment of a player a Demonland member gives?

Apart from 'hogans_heroes'... I'm sure Roosy would love to discuss strategy with him over a nice glass of scotch.

They could have a lovely chat about offence versus defense. Roosy couldn't help but be impressed by his expertise given how offensive HH can be.

• Like 4

Can you argue your points without constantly name dropping?

Much of what you offer I find worthwhile, but much is grating.

And according to your own standards assessing a player as having the "occasional shocker" is "unwarranted criticism' and "writing him off".

Tommy Mac is fixable, he is still learning his limitations ie choosing the best percentage option applicable to his level of skill. I agree with Saty's first line, he is learning on the job, give him time.

• Like 3

With the way he is developing physically and as a footballer, I think in three years time he could well be amongst the most sort after defenders in the competition.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the dees offer him a good long term deal and good coin.

It's easy to forget he is only 21 and with an eye to the future, a back line could easily be built around him

Can you argue your points without constantly name dropping?

Much of what you offer I find worthwhile, but much is grating.

And according to your own standards assessing a player as having the "occasional shocker" is "unwarranted criticism' and "writing him off".

Tommy Mac is fixable, he is still learning his limitations ie choosing the best percentage option applicable to his level of skill. I agree with Saty's first line, he is learning on the job, give him time.

It is not name dropping, I don't need to do that to make myself feel good, what would you prefer "an unnamed source from within the club", please grow up, I had good parents I have no need to be famous

There is a difference with "he is a young developing player who has the occasional shocker" that is par for the course for young footballers, had quite a few chats with Tommy and he wouldn't mind me saying that, and calling a player a useless spud, which some on here do, that is what I don't like, it is not unwarranted criticism it is bagging

There is a difference with "he is a young developing player who has the occasional shocker" that is par for the course for young footballers, had quite a few chats with Tommy and he wouldn't mind me saying that, and calling a player a useless spud, which some on here do, that is what I don't like, it is not unwarranted criticism it is bagging

I agree with the bolded, but you have had a go at me and others for similar criticisms.

I agree with you on Tommy.

Edited by jabberwocky

We've got a backline full of questionable kickers and decision makers.

If we had a guerra, birchall, Suckling, Malceski etc then Tommy wouldn't be asked to take the game on as much. But we have pretty much next to nobody who has the confidence nor ability to split teams open with great decisions or disposal and that's what ultimately lost us the game against Collingwood.

• Like 2

I would suggest that Tom McDonald is your tradional CHB and, at this stage of his development, does get caught out when forced deep defence to play a more traditional full back role. McDonald is best suited to hard running CHFs like Nick Riewoldt. He can then use his best attribute (his engine) to keep up where other players would have fallen away.

Like a lot of young players who do put in the odd poor game, he needs to stick to his role and know his limitations. I actually think he reads the ball quite well through the air, and the team is best served when he uses his athleticism and reach to punch it twelve rows back.

If we had a guerra, birchall, Suckling, Malceski etc then Tommy wouldn't be asked to take the game on as much. But we have pretty much next to nobody who has the confidence nor ability to split teams open with great decisions or disposal and that's what ultimately lost us the game against Collingwood.

if they were all great kicks then they would all be forwards

I'm saying back through out the history of football have never been as good at kicking the footy as forwards. That's why they were put down back in the first place.

And yes. If a player is a great kick and has great decision making skills, play him forward. Doesn't matter how many goals get kicked against you, kick more and you will win. Brazil soccer team game plan

Edited by The Flying Hellfish

I'm saying back through out the history of football have never been as good at kicking the footy as forwards. That's why they were put down back in the first place.

And yes. If a player is a great kick and has great decision making skills, play him forward. Doesn't matter how many goals get kicked against you, kick more and you will win. Brazil soccer team game plan

I'm sorry TFH, but you are simplifying the modern game in a big way.

There's a reason Hawthorn have been the benchmark team over the last few years.

I suggest for you to find out why.

I'm sorry TFH, but you are simplifying the modern game in a big way.

There's a reason Hawthorn have been the benchmark team over the last few years.

I suggest for you to find out why.

Spot on about Hawthorn. Rule number one in their recruiting - you gotta be able to kick. There is not a bad kick in their lineup - back forward or mid.

• Like 1

Funny you should mention Guerra. I was talking to a Hawks supporter who said he was a very poor kick. I wasn't aware of this. It was in the context of me mentioning how I'd noticed how bad and un Hawthorn like, Shoenamakers kicking is.

Funny you should mention Guerra. I was talking to a Hawks supporter who said he was a very poor kick. I wasn't aware of this. It was in the context of me mentioning how I'd noticed how bad and un Hawthorn like, Shoenamakers kicking is.

Seen enough of Hawthorn to suggest your mate didnt watch Guerra much - there is a reason they constantly used him as their "quarterback" out of defense.

I think Shoenamakers kicking is ok - I think he is prone to brainfades.

• Like 1

Tom McDonald is the perfect football athlete, but an ordinary footballer, he runs all day, defends well, and is extremely switched on but his execution of basic football skills lets him down, when he gets this right and he will I think he will be the best key defender in the comp

• Like 2

Your first two words on your second line explain it "He's 21".

I agree, I often cringe when the ball is in his hands, but like most of the list he is young and developing. For a pick 53 he is an excellent acquisition, and like most youngsters needs to develop a range of techniques and gain AFL match experience.

Well your mate must be about the only Hawthorn supporter to think so!

He was a dead eye dick with his disposal and regularly went for the riskier targets.

He was a beautiful kick.

• Like 2

He hasn't looked as quick this year.

In the past he had reliable closing speed on the lead not so much this year. And his attacking runs may have led to turnovers but rarely was he run down.

I'm surprised he didn't get the Cloke match up and actually a bit disappointed because he needs to keep developing and playing on the good forwards.

I'm hoping he improves in the rest of the season, he's been too up and down so far.